Anyone doing teaching? (1 Viewer)

darkroomgirl

HSC
kristy_lee26 said:
hey i was going to do Law but i am thinking about teaching now. I am in America at the moment so i don't have my UAC book here so can you telll me about the course and cutoff mark. What made you choose this course? I love society and culture, community and family and Ab studies, do you think this course would be good for me?
Hey kristy_lee26... well, basically I chose teaching for a number of reasons. I think my first and main reason for picking education is that I love learning, and doing teaching would mean that I get to do something that I actually enjoyed. Secondly, teaching's a profession that really makes a difference, and I wanted a job that involved that, and wasn't just about the pay packet. Thirdly, call me a nerd but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my subjects at school... so much that I couldn't wait to continue them at uni (I'm picking English and history as my main areas of focus). To know that I'm getting a job that involves those subjects is awesome. Fourthly, my English teachers were all very, very good... and they really changed me throughout high school (how corny, but it's true), so I thought, it would be cool to have the same impact on other kids in the future.

Teaching is also practical since there have been serious shortages lately. You're pretty much guaranteed a job (granted you don't do anything criminal or stupid) when you graduate. Plus the support's not bad either. The starting wage for teachers is I think $47 000 now. It may not be the makings of a millionaire but it earns us a living.

My course, by the way, would be B Education (Secondary: Humanities & Social Sciences)/ B Arts. That's 84.15.

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I wanted to do Law as well. I think that was mostly my grandfather's pressure (he's a lawyer himself). You might be different... you might actually be passionate about being a lawyer. If you are, I advise against teaching. Do what you really want to do, regardless of what anyone else tells you.

If teaching's what you want, I reckon the course I'm going for would be best for you :)

HSC
Thats like me, the looks of "teaching, why would you want to do that?" and "the kids are crap" started to have its toll on how i felt about it but once I went for a graphic design interview at tafe I realise there was no passion there - I had nothing to say yet at that moment if someone had said "ok ill interview you now about teaching" I could have answered everything and it would have been heart felt. You do have to have that passion and desire to make a difference.....thats why I want to work in public schools.

darkroomgirl

HSC
Lil Miss Karly said:
Thats like me, the looks of "teaching, why would you want to do that?" and "the kids are crap" started to have its toll on how i felt about it but once I went for a graphic design interview at tafe I realise there was no passion there - I had nothing to say yet at that moment if someone had said "ok ill interview you now about teaching" I could have answered everything and it would have been heart felt. You do have to have that passion and desire to make a difference.....thats why I want to work in public schools.
So what course are you doing, and where, Lil_miss_karly?

HSC
Hopefully B teaching/B arts - computing @ ACU strathfield but i am 1.75 off the last yr cut off.

SweetSeasons

HSC
that's the thing with ACU, the cut offs change a bit every year, so you never know your luck.. hey

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I have a friend who wants to do either B Education (Primary and Middle Schooling) at USQ Toowoomba, or B Education (Primary) at UNE. I believe she'd rather do the former, but has already been preselected to the latter, for in case she doesn't get into USQ.

HSC
i put down bachelor of coomunications but i am considering teaching.

you get to have heaps of holidays. finish by 4pm every day and only start at 8.30am.

also you get paid a decent amount even though my mum and other teachers would disagree and believe it should be more.

however i feel quite odd following both of my parent's into the teaching career.

rego2

HSC
something_funny said:
i put down bachelor of coomunications but i am considering teaching.

you get to have heaps of holidays. finish by 4pm every day and only start at 8.30am.

also you get paid a decent amount even though my mum and other teachers would disagree and believe it should be more.

however i feel quite odd following both of my parent's into the teaching career.
Im just curious how much does teacher get paid? does every teaching field paid different amount?
Im not in it for the money but im getting mix messages that u do get paid good and u dont.

Cafa

Cafa
HSC
Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Arts Secondary Humanities at ACU Strathfield. I've heard lots of good about the Teaching courses at ACU!

juliareidd

HSC
I want to do a Bachelor of Ed Primary at Sydney Uni in 2006 but recieved 86.00 for my UAI. Last year the cut off was 86.15.
Do you think it will drop, go up or stay the same??
If it stays the same, even though im close, will i still miss out??
Any advice would be great!!

darkroomgirl

HSC
rego2 said:
Im just curious how much does teacher get paid? does every teaching field paid different amount?
Im not in it for the money but im getting mix messages that u do get paid good and u dont.
The starting salary is $47,000... and head teachers would be getting around $77,000 - $80,000.

That's good enough for me!

SweetSeasons

HSC
Cafa said:
Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Arts Secondary Humanities at ACU Strathfield. I've heard lots of good about the Teaching courses at ACU!
It's also a very small, pretty uni. lol so yeah it's more like a school environment then a your just a number kind of thing like at the bigger uni's. hehe, like three people who will be in one of my units for next year already :p Hope you guys get in :D

HSC
N/A
darkroomgirl said:
I think my first and main reason for picking education is that I love learning, and doing teaching would mean that I get to do something that I actually enjoyed. Secondly, teaching's a profession that really makes a difference, and I wanted a job that involved that, and wasn't just about the pay packet. Thirdly, call me a nerd but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my subjects at school... so much that I couldn't wait to continue them at uni (I'm picking English and history as my main areas of focus). To know that I'm getting a job that involves those subjects is awesome. Fourthly, my English teachers were all very, very good... and they really changed me throughout high school (how corny, but it's true), so I thought, it would be cool to have the same impact on other kids in the future.
Hey Darkroom girl.... I absolutely love your attitude towards teaching. If you keep that movitated spirit up, you're going to be a brilliant teacher.

They're mostly the reasons why I want to teach aswell.... because I absolutely love school and learning to bits, because I love the idea of having a job that is centred around human relationships and growth, because I love the idea that I can be around my greatest passions each day (Art and learning) and actually get paid for it, and also because my Art teacher (like your English teachers) has also really inspired me to do it (even if he says he doesn't like it all that much!)

Sigh. :)

darkroomgirl

HSC
Hey etc. etc. etc... what course are you doing and where? I wanted to do Art teaching as well (I loved Visual Arts and I got nominated for ArtExpress this year!), but I figured that I could just do my art as a hobby while I teach what I'm really passionate about...

HSC
N/A
I hope to do Art Education at COFA, or possibly BVA at SCA, then a one year post-grad somewhere :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Ive decided that after i do a course to do art teaching, im also going to do some extra course so i can teach something else, perhaps english, or science..It will help with work oppertunities and id like it too.
But, im not sure if the extra course will have to go for 4 extra years like the courses ive applied for. Ill jsut research i guess.

HSC
N/A
Yeah same here Gummy_bear - I was considering maybe doing the COFA double degree B. Art Education/Design. I'm pretty good in Design and Tech and do enjoy the subject.

I'd probably rather teach something else more Humanities based though.... like Studies of Religion or Society and Culture.

Who knows. Really I just want to teach art. All the art teachers at my school only teach art, all the art teachers i've ever known only taught art. (Note: Art = Visual Arts, + Board Endorsed courses such as Photography, Digital Imaging, Visual Design, Ceramics etc.)

Ah well. We'll just have to see! I can imagine smaller schools would feel much happier imploying an art teacher that could teach in another area aswell.

MaryJ_

HSC
Hey hey,
It's so great to hear that the next generation will be taught by people who actually want to teach, and not just people who couldn't find a job in the field that they wanted. To everyone who keeps on getting told that they are wasting their high UAI's, I hear ya loud and clear. I got a 94.1 and people are looking at me like I'm crazy because my course had a 68 cut off. I'm glad that you are sticking to your guns because our schools need more bright and talented teachers. I'd like to do Arts/Education at UWS Penrith. I'm a Westy at heart, so what better place to go to uni? Hope to see some of you there.

mishka

HSC
N/A
^^ Mary J, what sort of teaching do you plan to do? Primary/secondary?? For primary, I would recommend a straight B Education (Primary) rather than the double. That way the education units are spread throughout the four years. From what I've heard the Arts/Education course mainly focuses on the pedagogy (actual learning HOW to teach) in the fourth year..

HSC
N/A
guys who want hot lady teachers, go to la salle bankstown. I mean the teacher ther are so good lookin they rate 10 out of 10 in my hot-to-meter. Seriosuly hot teachers at my scool but dun expect any respect from students

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)