anyone else having trouble with antony and cleopatra???? (1 Viewer)

poodoorfan

i am having so much trouble with this topic, i cannot remember anything about power and only just passed my trial essay on this as i storytell way too much, reading back over i know its shitty but i have no idea how to fix it up.

Does anyone have more techniques or how power is represented and/or portrayed?
i've been looking but i can't find anything anywhere much.
thanks

evette13

HSC
Hey mate
i find this topic really really difficult too. everyone is writing all this posh stuff, i just stick mainly to the techniques and talk in a language i can understand. Get some good quotes and scenes with dramatic symbols/irony/representations are found.
In my essay, (go to http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=88550)
i mainly talk about 9 scenes/events that represent power, and i will include/exclude them according to the question. I focus on techniques, other ppl focus on like themes or types of power...i find that too hard lol
So yeh, maybe you will get a better understanding from my essay, not saying its right or not just might help you to think about the representations in a&c
good luck

poodoorfan

fgbureguirew

thanks so much for that, yeah i get stuck with just talking about how power changes hands throughout the story and not much else,

evette13

HSC
I used to do that, but then someone got me thinking that the title of the topic is 'REPRESENTATION' and i was like crap, techniques lol

poodoorfan

hgtrhr

yeah i only realised that today when i was reading some other essay, thats why my other exam was soooooooo shite, no techniques, i practically retold the story.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
poodoorfan said:
i am having so much trouble with this topic, i cannot remember anything about power and only just passed my trial essay on this as i storytell way too much, reading back over i know its shitty but i have no idea how to fix it up.

Does anyone have more techniques or how power is represented and/or portrayed?
i've been looking but i can't find anything anywhere much.
thanks
couple of key scenes/ representaiton of power to look at would be some of the exchangs b/w Antony and Octavian - the idea of age and power

Look at cleopatra and antony - there is a good contrast with them actually - you have the female use of sexuality as a tool for power - look at her speech - she is very seductive - then you have an instance where he actually stands up to her and tells her that he is leaving (i'm sorry i'm kind of vague its been quiet a while)

there is political power - with the troops - ralling their support to fight against antony (who you must remember was their commander and most were loyal)

thats just a couple i can remember.

When you are looking at them you have to explore the langauge that they use and how they are using it - what are they saying to gain

hope that helps somewhat

Michala

HSC
i have just spent my afternoon writing an article for yr 12 students on how texts represent powerplay...im so not sure if i did it right...i have only written the Antony + Cleopatra part...i basically talked about techniques that shakespeare used to convey Caesar's and Antony's power (because they are the main power contenders in their powerplay)...do u think i did it right???

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Michala said:
i have just spent my afternoon writing an article for yr 12 students on how texts represent powerplay...im so not sure if i did it right...i have only written the Antony + Cleopatra part...i basically talked about techniques that shakespeare used to convey Caesar's and Antony's power (because they are the main power contenders in their powerplay)...do u think i did it right???
yes, i guess that would be right...but be careful --> techniques only stress/amplify/suggests/supports certain ideas about powerplay, not that techniques = meaning as such.

also, the display of power (things like *flourish!* or *trumpets sounds*), to my opinion, is simply not enough --> it is important to show HOW that display of power CHANGES a situation, either by overpowering an opponent, or the creation of powerplay conflict, etc...essentially, show powerplay at work.

it would be good if u could post up ur article on the forums for us ppl who did powerplay to have a look. :)

cheers, MD

breena

HSC
i would suggest looking at different types of power seen in A&C, it breaks it up and gives you a focus

eg: military power, political power, and sexual power

the module is representations of texts, so how do different texts represent differet powerplays? techniques are your sources, your back up info, they only support your answer because they show HOW the composer creates this idea.

and always remember, EXAMPLE + TECHNIQUE + EFFECT :)

hope that helps a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)