Anyone elses school not allowing them to watch......? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey, is anyone else not being allowed to watch American Beauty as a class for Extension English some parent complained last year so now we aren't allowed to watch it. It's a joke our topic is the American Dream lol Yeah but i can;t believ we are allowed to read Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James for Adv Eng. That is so much worse it talks about mutual masturbation

HSC
Hmm, I don't know...for homework for Ext. English we just had to youtube the plastic bag scene and watch that. I don't know if we'll ever watch the entire movie...or if it was banned...

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I say kick the student who's parents complained out of the classroom before viewing it to the rest of the class.

Get them to read the script or something while they sit outside.

It's unfair that other students have their learning experience and understanding of concepts hindered and prohibited by nazis.

LynH1326

HSC
My year had that problem... the Department had only just began enforcing it, so the Society and Culture class were able to watch Shawshank Redemption. When I was in year 8 we watched the whole of Braveheart for history, but when it came to watching Luhrman's version of Romeo and Juliet in year 10, we had to have a signed note from our parents.

IT's just the "child protection" thing gone nuts. Yes, we should be able to watch MA rated movies in year 11 and 12 if they relate to our units, even if they did say that we all needed signed permission slips. I mean, some of the novels we read are worse than the films that we should be watching.

PrettyVacant

HSC
makemearedcape said:
Hmm, I don't know...for homework for Ext. English we just had to youtube the plastic bag scene and watch that. I don't know if we'll ever watch the entire movie...or if it was banned...
THAT'S your hw?! Oh my gosh, we have to read 40 pages of popculture Vs canon! :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
LynH1326 said:
but when it came to watching Luhrman's version of Romeo and Juliet in year 10, we had to have a signed note from our parents.
You needed a signed note to watch an M-rated film in year 10?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hahaha thats the biggest load of crap ever.

We watched Apocalypse Now which was R18+ in Year 11.
We had to have a note signed by our parents to allow them to show us.
Which is fair enough cause we were mostly 17.....wait, isnt that illegal, with or without parental permission?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
mr_brightside said:
Which is fair enough cause we were mostly 17.....wait, isnt that illegal, with or without parental permission?
Yep. :p

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hahaha I thought so. Well it was an R rating from like 30 years ago, so it was pretty soft.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Okily-dokily.
There was another film that I was allowed to watch... Dracula or something, in which there were a trio of lesbian vampires, who were engaging in coitus while gorging on a baby. I think it was MA(15+).
Oh, the vice.
Orsum, I watched Dracula in year 10 drama. Didn't really see it as a big deal. :\

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
slowjam10 said:
Hey, is anyone else not being allowed to watch American Beauty as a class for Extension English some parent complained last year so now we aren't allowed to watch it. It's a joke our topic is the American Dream lol Yeah but i can;t believ we are allowed to read Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James for Adv Eng. That is so much worse it talks about mutual masturbation

bahah!
then i better get back to reading it..
its sitting beside my bedside dresser atm...
i got bored of the kid from kogarah...
and went for Lolita.
haha.. hmm go my choice of books?

HSC
slowjam10 said:
I can believe that. Most parents are familiar with that movie. Most aren't with that book.

My year saw Dances with Wolves (for history, studying American history) in Year 9 I think...and that had sex in it. But of course not too many parents have heard of that movie.

LynH1326

HSC
Triangulum said:
You needed a signed note to watch an M-rated film in year 10?
Yeah cuz our school was getting all thing about following department policy. In year 11 we just got told to watch Apocolypse Now at home for our unit on Heart of Darkness.

ttenneb

HSC
yeh our school is exactly the same.also, the librarian formed a party to ban american history x from a study in our school too, thats unethical.

cccclaire

HSC
We're watching apocalypse now in english extension and its R
and we had no permission notes either.
and I'm only 16.

hmmmm.

Jachie

HSC
nvm, totally had a brain fart and misread something. :eek:

Last edited:

slowjam10

HSC
hey, well now that we are doing the American Dream as our unit of study i can actually use American Beauty as a related text. We are currently doing the Great Gatsby and the talented mr ripley. Im not sure American Beauty would be good but there is also other things like Pleasantville, Devil wears prada, dreamgirls and life as a house.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Jachie

HSC
slowjam10 said:
hey, well now that we are doing the American Dream as our unit of study i can actually use American Beauty as a related text. We are currently doing the Great Gatsby and the talented mr ripley. Im not sure American Beauty would be good but there is also other things like Pleasantville, Devil wears prada, dreamgirls and life as a house.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I studied both "The Great Gatsby" and "American Beauty" in relation to the American Dream. They go together really well, especially if you read Gatsby before watching AB. Then you'll be able to figure out who the "Tom" character is, who the "Nick" character is, Daisy, Myrtle, etc etc. I'd definitely recommend using both texts if you're focusing on The American Dream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)