Anyone feel like 'Paying It Forward'? (1 Viewer)

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Considering the HSC is a mere couple of weeks away, i came up with this idea and was wondering whether anyone would be interested in helping me turn it into a reality...

I am an HSC student who is currently studying Visual Arts, Advanced English and Legal Studies. My strengths are mainly in the areas of creative arts (last year i recieved a Band 6 for drama and am aiming toward receiving a band 6 for art this year). Because of my love for these subjects, my friends often seek me out for advice and study sessions. By helping my friends and teaching them what i know, i help gain further insight into these subjects myself.

I was wondering whether or not we could establish a community of people, each with their own individual strengths to help others in the areas they struggle with. I can easily rant on about Visual Arts or Drama, and give insight and advice with these two subjects, but find myself struggling with Legal Studies and would love to hear from others about the ways i can deal with studying for Legal.

We should have set study days set in our community libraries for those who wish to attend, where we all basically share our knowledge and gain insight from others who may understand texts and subjects that we may struggle with.

...i dunno, sounds dumb but i know it would totally help me. It's abit like a system where you trade a skill for a skill, or in this case an understanding of one subject for the understanding of another...

If anyone is interested feel free to email me (just ask for my addy!) and if many people are interested we can organise a set day for each subject, to be studied at the most convenient location for all!

It's just a whole group of stressed and over caffinated HSC kids, helping each other out. It's about helping and being helped in turn.

Note: If all goes to plan, i personally will take care of ensuring we have good coffee and tea at hand!!!

Thanks for reading this freakin' essay of a comment guys!

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
Re: Anyone feel like 'Paying It Forward' in a sense?!

i'm in!!!!!!! i'd love some of ur art expertise though i can't offer you any legal advice :p um....i can help you out with english tho?

MeOverYou

Banned
HSC

I'll fix your grammar, punctuation and spelling and relentlessly and brutally scour over your English essays.

jannny

HSC
Good idea, but I am not sure tho if a lot of people would do it. But I would love to be part of it :]

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC

hehehehe...yah...ummm spelling and grammer you say....scouring over my essays huh?!...*nervous laugh*

Thanks for the interest guys! I would LOOOOOVE some English help! And any advice I can get on writing a successful essay in the appropriate timing would be greatly appreciated, especially considering my SHOCKING time management!

This whole idea basically depends on us in putting it into practice! I study near the CBD in Ultimo, but live in the *dun dun duuuuuun - DRAMATIC PAUSE* western suburbs, so i don't mind travelling to a library anywhere in Sydney. If we get the word around, through friends and fellow HSC sufferers' this could be a huge success and one that we could all value from - i know i sure as hell would.

Just one day a week meeting up in the state library in the city (just an example), for a communal study group session. We all get different notes on the same subject so why not share the knowledge and learn together...it could very well mean the difference between our final UAI marks!

Also, this isn't just about current HSC students. If any past students are interested in offering a hand in helping current students study by sharing HSC notes (that are probably just collecting dust somewhere in your room), then please feel free to do so! I still have all of my old Ancient History and Drama notes buried somewhere in the mess i like to call a room, and i'll be bringing them along for anyone who needs them.

Email me at onlyanaddiction01@yahoo.com.au and we can organise this properly! Get as many people involved as possible, the more notes and advice the better I say! This isn't the type of thing that will distract any of us from our studies, if anything its to encourage and motivate us further. We each get a good four weeks to study by ourselves before the HSC actually begins, and it was during these last few weeks that i thought we could organise these study days once a week.

The quicker we spread the word now, the more people we can help and get help from!

Thanks again all!

victorheaven

HSC
I dont think i would go but i would like to help u stick this thread on top manually tho. :p

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Even that is help enough lol! It might not be for everyone, because everyone has their own way of studying and preparing. Good luck anyway with your HSC...it's taking its bloody toll on me man and something like this would seriously be appreciated if it actually got underway hehe!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

Haha, a very interesting idea that you have put forth. I wouldn't mind it at all, and although I still have no idea how I study for legal studies, I'm assuming I'm doing something right and thus will help you out there, if you need it :)

My email's in my profile :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
haha it sounds alright , to be honest , but i dont do any of your subjects cept eng adv :p ; im more sciency haha.

sounds like it`ll work really well though ! good luck !

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Haha! This is seriously freaking me out now...

It was only a couple of hours ago i was sitting at my computer thinking "why isnt there like a mass study sesh, where everyone could share notes and skills...kinda like a real life bored-of-studies thread?!", and now here i am trying to organise one!

I replied to someone who PM'd me expressing interest in this idea, and said that it would'nt matter if 3 people or 60 people decided they would like to come along. The more the better!

It's not just about the subjects that i myself am studying...it's about all of us, literally. There might be Biology buffs, who dont quite get all the concepts behind Art, or English buffs who struggle with Ancient History.

It's about sharing the knowledge you have in the subject you are best at and in turn getting more info and insight to the subjects you might be struggling with. Think of it like a giant forum, and discussion on your relevent subjects, and if all else fails its a great way of learning how other people out there in your position are dealing with the incredible stress that comes with doing the HSC. I just thought something like this would make it a little easier...

Like i said, to anyone that is interested, state the subjects your currently studying, the ones you know and like best and the ones which literally bring you to tears at time. Let's find a location thats easily accessible to all of us around the Sydney area and get this whole thing underway....

p.s what the hell are we meant to call this thing lol!

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
That's perfect and Cosmology sounds like the kind of subject i would have loooooooooooved to study if a) it were offered to me and b) i could understand even half of the concepts involved lol....it doesnt stop me from being interested though!

I had chosen to do pathways so that i could get the best possible UAI. There was waaaaay too much family drama for me to cope with all six subjects last year, and i knew i would be far too distracted to efficiently perform. So last year i studied Ancient History, Drama and Visual Arts.

I got 79 for Ancient (which i'm hoping will be my lowest raw mark), a low band five for Art and a band 6 for Drama.

This year i'm studying Legal, Advanced English and i'm re-doing Art (in the hopes of getting a band 6 this time round). I have an intense love-hate relationship with legal and english at times, but i can rant and rant on about drama and art for hours without needing to take a breath!

I also have PLENTY of notes on Ancient History, Drama and Art which i'm only more than willing to share and give away to anyone interested that comes along to these sessions!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Interest is the first step to understanding :)

I think a city location would be best, as you would collect most of the available students into a common area which is (relatively) accessible to most people in the Sydney metropolitan area. Just have to choose a particular location now :p

Ahh, a pathways student, awesome :) I myself am an accelerated student, and did well enough in extension 1 maths to drop it this year, so that bolsters my credntials somewhat, although I have forgotten much of that course :p I am willing to share legal notes/essays and SOR 1 booklets and certain things I have picked up for physics, as well as general help in extension 2 maths.

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Brilliant! I think this could really work regardless of how much interest is generated! I agree that the location should be somewhere within the Sydney area, and the state library on Maquarie St in the city is easily accessible (just a train ride away to Martin Place).

I think it would be ideal for anyone interested in bringing a friend or two along. This way not only do we have more people and more notes, but also it reduces the risk of getting lost for those who are not too familiar with the CBD!! :)

If there are 10 of us interested in a mass study group, and each of us bring along a friend or two, then even with 20-30 people (which is the same size roughly as a class) we all really benefit from this!

I've talked to my art teacher, who's so great that she is also my mentor, and she said she would be more than willing to come along and help others in need of advice and help in the area of Art.

If anyone has a good enough relationship with their teacher, then i urge you to invite them also, if not for an hour or so just to lend a helping hand and some words of wisdom for those who are really seeking it out, especially since our exams are but a few weeks away!

If the State Library sounds good enough for all, then i'll personally call them and see whether they would be willing to lend us a couple of their private study rooms. I'll just need to know what day people are most willing and likely to come along to something like this.

We need to have a day set aside, possibly sometime next week (maybe on Saturday?! or would it be better on a weekday??) and then the last thing to do will be to just rock up! Spread the word from now guys! Hopefully we can have at least 20 people who are definately interested in coming along!

I'll call the library on Saturday, so we have from now until then to generate as much interest and get as many people involved as possible- remember the more people that come, the more you are personally able to benefit!

Thanks all again!
Era:wave:

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
p.s

SoulSearcher - I thought i might quickly mention how much i LOOOOVE that Adriana Lima pic you have as your DP! I actually sketched it once last year and made it part of my Visual Arts diary...she's totally the bomb lol

bellinda

HSC
well i would love to come along.. sounds like it could be a great help..

but i do pretty basic coarses and im still struggling.. so i think ill give it a miss, dont wont to look too dumb.. lol..

but good luck with this! sounds like a great idea!

xsavagex

HSC
i might be interested except im not good enough at any of my subjects to help really.
i do
Standard English
2U mathematics
bio
business
pd
SOR1

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
To both xsavagex and bellinda,

You guys are the exact kinda people we want rocking up to this thing.

It's NOT about sitting around like a bunch of wankers seeing who's smarter than who, and who knows most on what...

It's about getting help and studying with people who might have a better understanding than you do! I myself struggle soooo much with studying, and i find that the best way for me to learn, is by talking (i wont lie, its what i do best lol it must be the greek in me!).

This is perfect for EVERYONE currently studying the HSC! If you are confident enough with the study tactics and the approach you have, then come along and share your tips and tricks with people who don't! If you struggle with the idea of time management, lets all sit around and talk about HOW to prepare yourself to write a great essay in the appropriate timing by using an essay plan.

I do not encourage snobbery of anykind! If you are aiming high and you are able to achieve great marks, then share your insight with others who are'nt as capable as you are!

Personally, if i can get a UAI of anything higher than an 80 then i'll be happy. But i know not to reduce myself to a number, i'm worth so much more, AND SO ARE ALL OF YOU! These marks are NOT, i repeat NOT indicative of how intelligent or how capable you are and they should NOT define you!

The HSC is stressful as all hell, but if we get together we can do so much in reducing that stress. It's easy to hear that kind of stuff from 40 year old teachers who dealt with the HSC a good 20 years ago, but to hear advice and to gain insight and experience from those around you who are suffering the same ordeal makes the pain a little easier to deal with :) !!

So let's get this thing underway, and seriously guys dont underestimate yourselves! I aim high (maybe sometimes a little too high), but i know my limits and it's nothing to be ashamed of. If i don't get a band 6 in all of my subjects, i know its not the end of the world. In saying that though, this is something to be taken seriously; it's not about getting a high mark or getting a low mark, it's about getting a mark that's well deserved, and a mark that is indicative of the effort you put in!

Let's meet up and suffer together, think about it. It's seriously a win/win situation. Either way you get to be around others who truly 'get' what your going through and want to help as well as wanting help for themselves...and if all else fails, i DID afterall promise good coffee, and let's put it this way - the aries in me only ever aims to provide and succeed (meaning i'll totally stick to my word lol).

Thanks again for your interest, already guys! But remember this can only ever be a "good idea" until we put it into practice! Give me the word and i'll arrange the appropriate things needed including location, dates and that coffee i've been harping on about!

Email me with your ideas/questions/concerns

onlyanaddiction01@yahoo.com.au

ooooh! Also remember to tell us what subjects your currently studying no matter what they are and what your current ability is, it's not about how good you are right now, it's about helping you achieve all you can for the actual HSC!

Thanks again all!
Era

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Okay, called the library and they'd be happy to have us study there, as long as we give them at least a weeks notice in advance! I can book it all in for sure once we are certain on the date we'd like to do this all!

So tell your classmates, tell your friends, tell anyone who's willing to listen to you and let's get this underway!

onlyanaddiction01@yahoo.com.au
Era.

Dave2007

HSC
I do 4u eng, 3u hist, geo, eco.

As for what I can bring to the table... I can get you kick-ass marks in retreat from the global (3u eng), module a and the area of study for 2u eng, full marks in section 1 of history extension, kick ass in 2u history area of study and vietnam essays, any geo urban dynamic essay and i've got some quite good eco notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)