Anyone getting a PC for their exams? (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
As my half-yearly essays often look like the work of 2 dirty yaks running over 8 pieces of paper, the wonderful people at my school have me using a computer for the HSC rather than getting an el-lamo year 10 writer.

Anyone else in the same boat?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
my dad got me a hella old computer from his school, it runs Win98 and its slow as shit. but i spose it does the job...

stargaze

HSC
how did u go about getting that?

thats quite interesting.. cos atm my writing sux (trying to improve it), but improving it would come at the expense of slowing down... which isnt cool

i didnt know you could get it done on a pc.. i don't think my school would allow it.. its kinda unfair i think cos I could type a lot faster than I can write.. and typing doesnt really cause much stress on your hand, as compared to writing

anyway.. i could love to be able to type instead of write... but i dont think i would be able to

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
stargaze said:
thats quite interesting.. cos atm my writing sux (trying to improve it), but improving it would come at the expense of slowing down... which isnt cool

i didnt know you could get it done on a pc.. i don't think my school would allow it.. its kinda unfair i think cos I could type a lot faster than I can write.. and typing doesnt really cause much stress on your hand, as compared to writing

anyway.. i could love to be able to type instead of write... but i dont think i would be able to
You have to apply through the board of studies under special provisions to be able to use a laptop in the exams and you pretty much have to have a genuine reason for wanting special provisions in the exams and it has to have a sh*t load of documentation to back it up.
I had a scribe (writter) and reader for both years that I sat the HSC (03/04) along with exta time and toilet breaks under special provisions (because I suffer from Spastic Cerebral Palsy). To apply for them I had to have my medical records to show the how sevre my condition is. My teachers had to fill out paperwork on how the condition affected my academic performance, then I had to take a writting test to see how much I wrote in a certain period of time and it was the same with the reading test.

Thank god my school picked people in the Advanced English classes to write for me, it made the task for me less frusurating it also helped too that I had a mentor (in a teacher) to help organise and help me become accustom to the person that would read & write for me that way come exam time I felt comfortable working with them and allowed the exam to flow smoothly.

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
yeah i got special provisions. i didnt have to give in too many papers. the only things i sent in to board was 3 essays. one typed and 2 written. the written ones i wrote around 400 words in 40 min and the typed i wrote 1200 words. so yeah....

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Yeah, all I had to send in was an 2 essay, a writing book sample and teacher's rec's.

Aahah, did you have the crappy list of essay topics to pick from? "Pick a text and blah blah blah"...gruffffff.

I purposefully wrote a lot of words in the written one and typed slow in the PC, so they were even ^____^

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Yeah I'm getting to use a PC for my HSC/Trials
It will be the first time I'm using it though...
I applied for special provisions
had medical reasons and also becasue my writing was really hard to read, after my half yearlies many said they couldn't read my work.
A teacher of mine suggested i should apply.
So im getting a PC to type
I dont get any extra time or anything, I just get to type rather than write.

do u guys have conditions with yours but?
Mine are:
You have to write in notepad
No formatting
Have to do multiple choice on computer
Do all subjects in it-Well except maths but u need 2 write a letter saying u do not wish to use it for that.

Any advice 4 me of how 2 go about it?
Gavrillo/Murf/Tommy hav u used it yet?

Trev

stix
HSC
Damn, I wish I thought of doing that, is it too late to apply?
ALL my teachers complain about my writing and often say I will lose marks as a result of it...hmm.

HSC
what about doing "to the power of" like in chem equations? its tedious to do that too heaps of equations

what about diagrams, filling in charts, screen design sketches etc..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I'm not using it for maths
But using it for all other subjects

Legal, Business, IPT , English and SOR1

there wouldnt be anything i would need not 2 do on the comp in the above subs ay?
maybe financial stuff in business and prob diagrams in IPT
ill hav 2 ask about that

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
For those using a PC for exams- Is there an increased risk of using poor grammer and lol's at the end of every paragraph?

I guess they don't want you using microsoft word because it has auto-spell correct and all those neat things.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
Trev said:
Damn, I wish I thought of doing that, is it too late to apply?
ALL my teachers complain about my writing and often say I will lose marks as a result of it...hmm.
The deadline for special provisions is mid april, after then the bored only considers unforseen circumstances for special provisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)