Anyone going to New College next year? (1 Viewer)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I've just had my interview and i think it went well. Anyone here applied for 2007?

Mixy

HSC
Hey I'm applying for New as well!! Sent off my application form 2 weeks ago.

Tallkid34 how long did it take for you to get your interview (after you sent off all the forms)? How do you find out if you get an interview (ie. do they phone you or send you a letter)? Did you do a telephone interview? What kind of questions did they ask?

Sorry for all the questions....but I really want to go to New next year.

Thanks
Mixy

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
hahaha. I was asking all those questions before i sent off my application form.

Alright, I sent off my application form in early september and got an offer for an interview around the end of september, so cant say exactly how long it will take to be offered an interview (let alone getting that offer). The New College website does say that most applicants are interviewed so you should be getting your interview offer anytime now.
I found out about my interview offer through email but if you supply all your details on the application form, you should be contacted through what details you provided on that form.
I had my interview last thursday (5th of october) at New College with the dean of residents (i think). The interview itself is pretty informal and I was asked questions like,

"Why do you want to come to New College?"
"Who is someone that has influenced you in your life"
"What books/films/music have influenced you?"

If you haven't already been around the college, you'll get a tour as well.

Mixy

HSC
Hey thanks tallkid34 for the very helpful info. Hopefully we'll both be at New College next year!!!!

Cheers

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
The college interview is the easiest interview you'll do in your whole life. Make the most of it ;)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
No problem Mixy. Im hoping for the same as well! By the way, I forgot to mention that the first round of offers for New will be made in mid-december. A long way away which is annoying, because i'd rather know now if i got in or not?!~

Mixy

HSC
Hey, I got my interview invitation yesterday! Woohoooo but I guess everyone who applies gets an invitation anyway. So nothing special....oh well....

Anway, I replied by email last night and I haven't received a confirmation email from the Dean yet. Should I bother calling? Or am I just being paranoid? I really wanted to do my interview some time this week. Might just have to be next week now.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Go ahead and call the college. I called them 2 weeks after i got my invitational email. I was even able to get an interview organised for the very next day at noon so you should be able to have yours by the end of the week. Also, its still quite early as the college says most interviews are conducted between november and december.

Mixy

HSC
Hey thanks tallkid34 for all your advice. It's really helpful!

So I've had my phone interview for New College now. I think it went ok but I reckon it's way harder than doing an interview face-to-face.

I asked about offers as well. The Dean said mid December for most people but for the med applicants, college offers come out in late January (so hopefully I'll get an offer for both then! Fingers crossed!). He said it was because they only had a small number of places for med students and heaps more applied so they waited until UAC offers come out. Also, he mentioned that in December I would get a letter saying I was on the waiting list. Does this sound right Dumsum?

Hmmm I'm just a bit worried that being on the waiting list = bad/unsuccessful application.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
That may just be because you had a phone interview and you're a med student, I dunno, I had mine face to face at the end of November and got an offer letter about 2 weeks later (but I'm not med).

Just sit back and relax, there's nothing more you can do now! :) I applied for all the colleges I could, you should do that too. But come to new if you get accepted there ;)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I was gonna apply to all the colleges but then I thought that New College seemed like the most ideal place to live and be a part of. I even took all the other colleges into consideration.

Warrane College - I go to an all guy boarding school so I wasnt too keen on living once more in a house with 100 guys and also where you cant bring girls inside?! As well as that, the whole Opus Dei management isnt my thing (Im catholic but Id rather consider myself an Anglican nowadays).

Kensington College - I hear the selection standards for these colleges are pretty high (not sure though...). I doubt I would get any work done due to their 'party-hard' atmosphere. My dad (who also went to UNSW) used to tell me a lot of stories about the people (kenso kiddies) who lived there in his time.

Shalom College - At first, I was interested in the place since it was small and newly renovated but the whole 'follow Jewish customs' would get on my nerves after awhile. A friend of mine stayed there for a bit and told me he got berated by management for bringing in chewing gum?!

International House - This place doesnt apply to me anyway since its only for 2nd year undergraduates and above but I read somewhere that its a house where people rarely tend to know each other?

Mostly everything I've said is a combination of other people's experiences and basically information I've read from all over the place. If anyone feels offended, please don't as I obviously haven't stayed at any of these colleges and didnt mean any intentional offense.

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
I have an interview [by phone] on Thursday this week. Hopefully should all go okay - but I wish they were offering places as they went like Women's College at Sydney is! [I had a phone interview with their Dean a few weeks ago and they offered me a spot after 15 minutes, which certainly makes it nice and easy :)]

I have tons of friends at New College this year [I'm on a Gap year in England right now] so if I end up at UNSW I'm hoping to be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)