Anyone got any tips on how to write full mark creatives (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Title says it all because I am shit at creative/story writing.

Last edited:

ml125

HSC
Plan before you write. I usually start off by picking apart the rubric, and separating it into different parts. For example, for AOS Discovery it would be something like this:

Discovery can encompass the experience of:
discovering something for the first time
or rediscovering something that has been lost, forgotten or concealed.
Discoveries can be sudden and unexpected,
or they can emerge from a process of deliberate and careful planning
evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder.
Discoveries can be fresh and intensely meaningful
in ways that may be emotional, creative,intellectual, physical and spiritual.
They can also be confronting and provocative.
They can lead us to new worlds and values,
stimulate new ideas,
and enable us to speculate about future possibilities.
Discoveries and discovering can offer new understandings and
renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.

For each point (some may overlap), write down something that you might be able to write about; and if you already have something in mind, write down how you might be able to connect your story to it. Compile each of these points and see which of them may fit together. This helps a lot in making sure you address most, if not ALL components of the rubric.

It is best to write a very simple idea very well. Ensure that the plot in your story is not too heavy – have maybe one or two significant events. Keep an optimal one or two major characters so as not to overcomplicate your piece. When coming up with your idea try to write about your own personal experience; I have seen a number of pieces like these that work really well, although I myself find it difficult to write like this. I have also seen some effective historical recreations but some of the events chosen are very overused such as WWI/II so if you attempt to do this, try to find an event that is significant yet scarcely used. With the way I write, I tend to weave references to well known stories - classics, fairytales etc. to ensure a unique response. However, if you choose to do this make sure it is not overdone. This can take away from the originality of your creative.

Before you start writing, have a look at multiple stimuli for your AOS and try to pick out elements from a few of them to incorporate within your creative OR write out a first draft, then practice rewriting to suit multiple stimuli. After you write a few times under exam conditions you might notice some changes in expression etc. If you find the changes you made to be effective, go back and rewrite it - incorporate all the things you might have come up with on the spot.

And yeah, as stated above: EDIT. A LOT.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Plan before you write. I usually start off by picking apart the rubric, and separating it into different parts. For example, for AOS Discovery it would be something like this:

stimulate new ideas,

For each point (some may overlap), write down something that you might be able to write about; and if you already have something in mind, write down how you might be able to connect your story to it. Compile each of these points and see which of them may fit together. This helps a lot in making sure you address most, if not ALL components of the rubric.

It is best to write a very simple idea very well. Ensure that the plot in your story is not too heavy – have maybe one or two significant events. Keep an optimal one or two major characters so as not to overcomplicate your piece. When coming up with your idea try to write about your own personal experience; I have seen a number of pieces like these that work really well, although I myself find it difficult to write like this. I have also seen some effective historical recreations but some of the events chosen are very overused such as WWI/II so if you attempt to do this, try to find an event that is significant yet scarcely used. With the way I write, I tend to weave references to well known stories - classics, fairytales etc. to ensure a unique response. However, if you choose to do this make sure it is not overdone. This can take away from the originality of your creative.

Before you start writing, have a look at multiple stimuli for your AOS and try to pick out elements from a few of them to incorporate within your creative OR write out a first draft, then practice rewriting to suit multiple stimuli. After you write a few times under exam conditions you might notice some changes in expression etc. If you find the changes you made to be effective, go back and rewrite it - incorporate all the things you might have come up with on the spot.

lmao I feel like I'm getting outsmarted and told off by a "year 10" student, so embarrasing haha but thanks for the advice

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

stimulate new ideas,

Thing is I'm doing it on physical journey :p

Orwell

HSC
Dude, I'm doing 'The Nature of Evil' for Year 11 English Extension 1 and we've already been assigned our task, but I'm so lost.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You should try and actively read I think - read other people's creatives and read highly rated novels. Being in year 11 you should have plenty of time to prepare yourself before year 12 starts.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You should try and actively read I think - read other people's creatives and read highly rated novels. Being in year 11 you should have plenty of time to prepare yourself before year 12 starts.
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, is there many creative samples for physical journey?

Orwell

HSC
Yeah, if anyone knows of where I can get short story examples with 'The Nature of Evil' as the theme, please inform me.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, is there many creative samples for physical journey?
mmm not sure about creative samples. But maybe you can mould what you read into physicals journeys. Although not what the author intended, its your perceptions that ultimately influences the ideas and themes that are derived from a text.

Occupied

HSC
N/A
big world by tim winton is a short story - not quite 800 words, but u should be able to get a gist of what a good creative kinda requires

just start with a complication and go from there. don't bother introducing ur character unless ur setting out characteristics which r revelant to ur complication. like set ur creative just before ur character makes a revelation. u won't have words to do anything else --> only mentioning this b/c someone a while back sent me a creative where they started introducing characters like wht a novel would and it went nowhere. u can't ramble on for 300-500 words on ur characters alone.

TBH it's probs better not to think of it as a creative, just think of what ur writing as a section of a story and one where ur character has to attain some sort of new understanding (b/c if they don't, then it becomes recount lol)

Also, u need a motif - or if u have a motif, it's pre easy to make a good creative. to quote my younger self;

"What I've found from editing both my own and my peer's creatives, was that the primary mistake people fall victim to is either lapsing into recount OR injecting in too much flowerly language. Other common mistakes to avoid is not having a clear setting and having a creative that doesn't move anywhere. Your creative MUST reach some sort of realisation. Your character has to attain some sort of new understanding. For example, your character might think of birds as initially symbols of freedom. By the end, they may think of birds as symbols of oppression. This change has been sparked by events explored in your creative. For example, main character is in a happy, worry free environment and an avid bird watcher. He/she thinks of birds as symbols of liberation. Main character is captured by authorities. The flag or symbol that defines these members of power is a bird. Due to subjugation and conformity imposed by these authorities, the main character has come to associate birds with oppression. Do you see what I'm doing? "

either way, if it's not too shameless to link my own thread; have a read through http://community.boredofstudies.org...-creative-marking-general-advice-all-eng.html

Occupied

HSC
N/A
also, this is rly obvious but so many people forget or just don't read the question -> if u have to do something about physical journeys, DO NOT ramble on about something in where your character physically moves nowhere. I mean, you could probably pull it off but it's harder to. (and the only reason why you would be able to talk about physical journeys without making your character literally go on one, is because all aspects of journeys are linked - u can't talk about a physical journey without a revelation, and that new insight can be emotional, social etc)

E.g, Something that comes to mind (to write a creative about physical journey without making ur character go on one) is if you had a more post-modern structure and so, if u had a stationary character, u could probably communicate ideas to do with physical journeys -> like new worlds and destinations, through letters, a diary, etc

But it's much more easier to actually make ur character move around.

HSC
there is a dude called orwell, basicallly he says that da greatest sin to gud writing is insincerity. you shud check him out, it'll give ya better writing not just for the hsc

HSC
^hah excellent. i like the sub combo, chase dat 99.7 but most of all, don't forget .84

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
also, this is rly obvious but so many people forget or just don't read the question -> if u have to do something about physical journeys, DO NOT ramble on about something in where your character physically moves nowhere. I mean, you could probably pull it off but it's harder to. (and the only reason why you would be able to talk about physical journeys without making your character literally go on one, is because all aspects of journeys are linked - u can't talk about a physical journey without a revelation, and that new insight can be emotional, social etc)

E.g, Something that comes to mind (to write a creative about physical journey without making ur character go on one) is if you had a more post-modern structure and so, if u had a stationary character, u could probably communicate ideas to do with physical journeys -> like new worlds and destinations, through letters, a diary, etc

But it's much more easier to actually make ur character move around.
ty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)