Anyone here wanting to do a bachelor of science/bachelor of arts at USYD? (1 Viewer)

Asinine

HSC
When do you get to choose your major? im going on 2nd semester and i have no clue what i want to do....

izzy88

HSC
When do you get to choose your major? im going on 2nd semester and i have no clue what i want to do....
There is generally no formal 'choosing' of your major. You just decide what you want to major in and make sure you fulfil the requirements before the end of your degree. You don't have to notify anyone. Just make sure you do get a major before the end of the degree! Depending on the department/faculty/what you want to major in, you generally just have to do a certain number of subjects in second and third year of a particular area to get a major in that area eg. 6 senior (2000 or 3000 level) HSTY subjects for a History major, although you can also generally cross-list two or three - I can't remember the exact requirements. Look to your faculty handbook for the requirements to obtain a major in a particular area.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'm planning on doing Science/Arts, granted that I get in to begin with. I plan on majoring in Psychology for the science component and English in the Arts component and continue into postgraduate psychology with the BA as a bonus. The reason I decided to choose the combined degree instead of either a B Science or B Arts degree is because I didn't think I wouldn't do enough English I wished to do under the Science degree and I have too many interests in the sciences to do a pure Arts degree majoring in English and Psychology (alongside the reputation and wonderful career opportunities available with an Arts degree >.>). But then I have the problem where I don't know what additional units I should do alongside English. Maybe some History or Philosophy.
I know this is an oldish thread, but you should seriously consider History and Philosophy of Science. It has that history component, the philosophy one, and it's applied to real case studies and such in the scientific world, rather than just being all here's philosophical thoughts about... stuff...

The course offered in second sem, What is this thing called Science? is great and messes with your mind and you come out of it going science isn't actually a thing at all. NONE OF US DO SCIENCE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)