Anyone know how to start an effective speech with a quote? (1 Viewer)

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
So we are doing In The Skin of A Lion, and our assessment was just given to us. We were given 19 quotes, and on Thursday/Friday week 10 we will pick a quote out of a hat, write a speech in 1hr20min, and then present it to our advanced cohort, going at it in 7 people at a time.

So I'm grouping quotes that evoke similar ideas, writing a template speech with the ideas, and then when I get the quote Ill select my template and fix the speech to suit it (we are allowed written material when writing :) )

I just can't think of any good ideas to start my speech, as the quote has to be in my thesis statement. I would like something unique, as this module is all about a "personal response"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, you want a personal response - well, why don't you look at your own personal response and go from there. Then, you select a quote that highlights your own personal feelings - open with it, and then explain how it does so.

SanjoyM

HSC
+ keep on linking back ideas from the question and thesis to components within the quote :)

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay thanks heaps guys
Although i dont know what quote I'm getting, i pick it out of a hat on the day

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, start with whatever quote you pick on the day and then discuss in your speech whether you agree or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)