anyone know what capillarity is? (1 Viewer)

future-doctor

HSC
Essentially, capillarity are the forces (cohesion and adhesion) that allow water to rise within a narrow tube, without the input of energy. However, some may describe it as being simply the phenomenon of the water rising.

Hope that helps :p

future-doctor

HSC
Wait why is this in the chemistry section? Why do you need to know about capillarity in chemistry?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah it's used in Bio for movement of water through the xylem in plants.

future-doctor

HSC
Lol exactly! I've never seen/heard the word capillarity in chemistry, in biology it is used numerous times.

kr73114

HSC
Essentially, capillarity are the forces (cohesion and adhesion) that allow water to rise within a narrow tube, without the input of energy. However, some may describe it as being simply the phenomenon of the water rising.

Hope that helps :p
thanks, so is it passive movement?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Lol exactly! I've never seen/heard the word capillarity in chemistry, in biology it is used numerous times.
Capillarity is commonly explored in physical chemistry (it is actually more of a physics concept). It's not just only applicable in plants and biology, for example good sponges that hold water require capillarity.

MzG1zi

HSC
please explain why you need to know what capillarity is in chemistry?
its in the water topic. capillarity is the tendency of a liquid to rise up or fall down tubes right? well the up and down movement is a result of the unbalanced forces (suface tension) of the liquid. and water has surface tension due to its hydrogen bonding :)
someone correct me if im wrong please

kr73114

HSC
its in the water topic. capillarity is the tendency of a liquid to rise up or fall down tubes right? well the up and down movement is a result of the unbalanced forces (suface tension) of the liquid. and water has surface tension due to its hydrogen bonding :)
someone correct me if im wrong please
did u write that on ur assignment?

future-doctor

HSC
Hmmmm capillarity in regards to physics, interesting :)

Oh yeh thats right the water module. My crap chem teacher probably skipped it like most of the topics in prelim and hsc chem lol.

Last edited:

nat_doc

HSC
u watch water go up the pipe and oil not go up.... something about cohession and adhession forces

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)