anyone registering for PASS? (1 Viewer)

lgaica

HSC
just wondering whether it is worthwhile to do or not

i singed up for acct1001, econ 1001 and ecmt 1010

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Probably not. seems like a waste of time to me. Id never use it.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
SEXY TIME

No but really Pass will probably be only useful for ECMT.

BACK TO SEXY TIME

stazi

Nightman
HSC
PASS is incredibly useful. I think they found that your mark increased, on average, by 9 marks or so if you did PASS vs. a student who hasn't done PASS. I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that statistic.

wenruoshi

HSC
I went to one and deregistered the other subjects' PASS after that one...
the first one is just a bit of a chat
I think it could help as the semester progresses..but I really can't be bothered....

kony

HSC
stazi said:
PASS is incredibly useful. I think they found that your mark increased, on average, by 9 marks or so if you did PASS vs. a student who hasn't done PASS. I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that statistic.
a student who goes to PASS in the first place probably wants to do well. so that's an almost meaningless statistic. (possibly it even has a detrimental effect, though i'm not suggesting anything)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not necessarily, there were lots of dumbarses in my PASS classes. although I would say the average mark is inflated as the sessions would have lots of students who want to do well, it's also not a particularly large logical leap to suggest that revision, and the ability to learn by teaching others (which is statistically the best way to learn) would also contribute to the higher average marks.

For CLAW, for example, we were discussing cases in much more detail and analysing them critically, compared to the lectures + tutorial program.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I looked at some today and the whole room was asian.

not racist, but i find it hard to communicate with them. Especially since for a lot english is a second language. good for some bad for others i guess.

lgaica

HSC
OMG we have to do a group seminar for marketing and we have this one chinese international student in our group and she is absolutely fucking useless, she cannot speak, you cant have a conversation with her

this must be a continual issue for group assignments, its just so fukn annoying

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, this is a common issue. however, I'm sure she'll have some strengths. like cleaning skills.

mat2154

HSC
blakegman said:
I looked at some today and the whole room was asian.

not racist, but i find it hard to communicate with them. Especially since for a lot english is a second language. good for some bad for others i guess.
going to pass made me notice how many international students there actually are. you don't really notice in lectures cause i don't sit near them and i just assume that they are local asians
it is pretty difficult to communicate with them

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I got all local students in my marketing group thankfully. Even scored like a 3rd year IT student.

liploop

HSC
ok, first, as a person who attended all sessions of PASS offered in the first semester, I'm honestly telling you that the PASS is completely useless... or unless you have planty of time and want to hook up with someone to have a REALLY nice chat.

Now, the second, WTF is wrong with this thread?! I'm an international student, last time I check, Australia is still an immigration country. So, what are those American style bullshit talks come from?

04er

HSC
it all comes down to VERY bad experience in group work with internationals. I have met a few internationals who can speak quite fluently, but as for the rest, they are hopeless. Plus, I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are rumours that unis give internationals extra marks so they don't fail subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)