Anyone studying Robert Gray please help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, i am currently in year 11 and studying robert gray's poetry as a prescribed text. I was wondering if anyone else studying his poetry has any related material for them. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

HSC
Oh, and i would especially love it if you knew of any films that relate to his poetry. But im not being fussy lol, any help you can offer is wonderful!:D

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
How cool?!?!?! I too was looking for robert gray poems, and i found some in advanced resources. Cpuld everyone pleeeeeeeease help us if u do find nething??

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
insanelysane said:
Hi, i am currently in year 11 and studying robert gray's poetry as a prescribed text. I was wondering if anyone else studying his poetry has any related material for them. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)
We did Robert Gray Poem

'Late Ferry': an analysis

The discretion in Robert Gray's use of imagery distinguishes him from the "Martian" approach to composing poetry. The…attempt to refresh the description of commonplace objects as though viewing them through the detached eyes of a planetary visitor…suffers from the self-consciousness of its enterprise. Too often the voice in a "Martian" poem will betray a clever graduate trying to persuade us he sees the world through innocent eyes. The innocent perceiver in Gray's poems predates the Martian experiment and has a naturalness…that the Martian speaker is too educated to allow…We read "Late Ferry", trusting that we are going to be shown the harbour and not that we are going to have something proved about it.

The second thing to note is the painterly naivety of the speaker's perception of the scene. The ferry goes "up" the harbour, rather than "away". The intellect, with its knowledge of what the ferry is actually doing, does not mediate what the senses say the ferry is appearing to do…We have been persuaded, temporarily to view the world as though we were naifs, with the result that we have had reawakened a childlike sense of the numinous individuality of things and the artless simplicity with which language appears to be able to evoke them….The art in Gray's best poetry lies in persuading us that naivety need be neither a means of evading subject's complexity, nor a mask behind which it is being manipulated toward some intellectual purpose. Rather, it is one means of enhancing perception, one means of achieving candour.

Simile is Gray's most characteristic descriptive instrument…From his using simile so often and so powerfully, we gain the sense in Gray's poems of a world of unlimited correspondences between things….simile is…an instrument for unifying the diversity of phenomena, for establishing, not only the lines of connection between things, but the idea of the entire unity that these connections create.

Though Gray is a descriptive and quietist poet rather than a dramatic or interpretive one, and mostly confines himself to description, description does not confine his understanding. Behind many poems - "Late Ferry", "Flames and Dangling Wire", "The Sea-shell", for example - the scrupulous accumulation of the visual evidence points to a vision of the way all objects and moments integrate with one another in a Creation that is both marvelous and innocent.

And some other ones which I've forgotten.

Jess289

HSC
insanelysane said:
Hey there, I am also in Yr 11 and studying Robert Greys poems as my prescribed texts.

We are studying A Labourer, Flames and Dangling Wire, North Coast Town and Journey: North Coast.

I have found very few websites relating to Robert Grey!

This site has an anylasis of Flames and Dangling Wire.

http://darkequalibrium.tripod.com/

Hope that mite help a bit!

Last edited:

.:BL4D3:.

HSC
I have an oral assessment on Robert Gray tomorrow and another freakin test so i'm feeling pretty bad atm. Add on the fact that I'm totally unprepared for either of them and you've got a procrastination spree with foruming. Yay for me

AshleyMay

HSC
hey
i recently jined this forumthing...its pretty cool...ummm im also doin robert gray journey:the north coast, diptych, the meatworks and north coast town...im not aware of any movies in relation 2 them but i have an exam 2moz with prescribed n related txt speaking task n im pretty screwed...got any idea...i need a visual reprsentation on the 2 but in 1 a4 sheet both in relation 2 1 another...its ridiculous....anyway

deadlyaz

HSC
a good film is
Catch Me If You Can
by Steven Spilberg

its an excellent movie to choose...

Mr Confusion

HSC
Im havin a similar problem. Ive got an English essay to do on the analysis of two of Robert Grey's poems and discuss the imegery and cinamatic quality of the two. Ive chosen 'Late Ferry' and 'North Coast Town'. Can someone please help me out with an introductory paragraph. Its due in two days.

akrinis

HSC
Sorry, LATE REPLY but I have a Comparative Study Essay on Chinua Ahebe's Things Fall Apart and 3 of Robert Gray's poems, due in on Friday and I was wondering if I'm allowed to use a poem of Robert Gray that we haven't studied in class yet in my essay... Any thoughts? I'm going to discuss this with my teacher tomorrow because I think the material I've been given isn't quite enough RE Robert Gray's poems.

katykiddx

HSC
im pretty much in the same boat.
I have my english oral tomorrow on Robert Gray, and im so not prepared =(
Ive choosen Journey:The North Coast, and North Coast Town.

W1ll15

HSC
Hey there, I am also in Yr 11 and studying Robert Greys poems as my prescribed texts.

We are studying A Laborer, Flames and Dangling Wire, North Coast Town and Journey: North Coast.

I have found very few websites relating to Robert Grey!

This site has an analysis of Flames and Dangling Wire.

Change

Hope that mite help a bit!

Just type in the full name of the Poem into your search engine and it should come up with a wiki page for it, although they can be misleading sometimes. if you have any noted from class or wherever, use them, because more than likely, they would be a primary source of information. Hope this helped in some way lol :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)