Anyone That Can Pls Help Me With These Introductory Statistics Questions? (1 Viewer)

181jsmith

HSC
Hi, just struggling with these questions. Would anyone pls be able to help me understand the questions below?An example or further explanation would be much appreciated as i don't really understand these questions. Many thanks

Q1. Researchers gathered data on 150 court rulings from first thing in the morning and 110 from just before the end of the day. Assume a random ordering (eg. no bias). Of the early morning cases 96 were granted parole, of the cases considered just before the end of the day 22 were granted parole.

a) Sketch an appropriate plot to show the proportion of those who were and were not granted parole first thing in the morning and late in the day
b) Suppose now that the judges will not be concerned by the findings provided the difference in the proportions is no more than 50%. Write down appropriate null and alternative hypotheses for this problem.

Q2.
Do adults who are depressed have fewer hours sleep,on average, than adults who are not depressed? According to the American National Sleep Foundation, sleep is vitally important for a person's health and wellbeing. Adults need about 8 hours of sleep, on average, regardless of age. A local sleep laboratory assessed the length of sleep in hours in a random sample of ten adult patients suffering from depression.

a)The upper 95% confidence bound is found to be 7.205. Interpret the meaning of this confidence bound in the context of this problem

Q3. Variables: Mercury, Fish, Safe (if mercury levels is below 0.5 this is coded 0 otherwise 1), Age, Year. What would be the hypothesis for these 2 research questions?
-Are mercury levels the same for both species of fish?
-Are "older"(more than 10 yrs) fish more likely than "younger" fish to be "unsafe"?

epiphany50

HSC
LOL, why don't you just post a link to the whole assignment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)