Anyone thinking of a remark? (1 Viewer)

Benno

HSC
lol that means 1 kid out there got the wrong results!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by sneaker
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAD THEIR EXAM RECHECKED LAST YEAR AND LOST 4 MARKS
Thats bullshit and you know it.

Originally posted by nd
If a clerical error is discovered, wouldn't that affect teh UAI's of not only that student, but of the entire class? And couldn't it potentially affect the UAI of someone completely unrelated? i.e. someone get 99.95, but with a remark pushes them above someone with 100, wouldn't the lowest 100 person have to go back to 99.95? (though they wouldn't do this, right?)

Technicaly, yes, it would affect everyone's UAI, but Im assuming they wouldn't bother, theyd just adjust it to what it would have been had it been calculated properly in the first place.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Huy... my teacher is protesting my mark to the board of studies and trying to get my MW remarked... I was going to get the clerical recheck done though in case there was an error typing marks in to the computer or something (which I doubt).

My parents want me to get a clerical recheck for all my subjects... they said they would pay so I'm not complaining... personally I think it's just a donation of 100 bucks to the board, but they are quite adament about it, so whatever.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
Do you think I would be able to make an appeal against my marks for Music 2. The actual exam was worth very little so they must have not liked my composition and my piano performances. can i get a remark for this? (they recorded the performances so I wouldn't have to do them again) Like... actually get some one to sit down, listen to my composition and my performances and see if they think i should still get that mark? You see.. I'm just worried that I might have got some conservative marker that didn't think music should be written in that way...
thoughts anyone?

Edit: Merry Christmas :) (as of..... now!)

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
If they have to re-read or re-listen to your work, instead of simply re-adding your totals, then I think it's a no - if you ask me.

Clerical errors are rechecked, but that involves reading over your work, or having to listen to your work (which, in my mind, involves re-marking on some level) -- then it would be a no (chances of getting more marks).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
To get your prac reassessed you would have to put in a protest to the board through your music teacher at school. A clerical recheck would not be this.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
As a HSC marker, I can kinda verify what has been said here.
Its a recheck of marks not a remark (they would have to pull markers back after how many weeks?? (and pay them!))
The clerical system is fairly accurate as the papers are on average marked by two different ppl (this of course depends on the subject and the section ofthe paper eg short answers are usuually one person, M/C is pc marked etc). at the marking center:Once you have noted your marks (which are done by section on one sheet (eg the question I marked had three sections therefore three sep. marks were noted on the official centre sheet- total section marks were only noted on tally sheets to ensure we were a) marking to set #/hour and b) not marking too hard/too easy (though this was dictated by the individual centres!.
Our offiical sheets were collected and checked by our supervising marker (who also spot checked our papers to make sure we were not being too easy/hard) then the sheets and bundles of papers were sent of to the clerical staff who did their thing straight away (we were not allowed near the Clerical staff- they would yell at us if we got too close!)
so,
the chances of a mistake in tallying is fairly minimal (almost impossible because of the checks)
IMHO, rechecking is a waste of $11/$22 (note how the compulsory (therefore key subject) is 2* as much- rip off merchants.
Appeals are a different kettle of fish (which some ppl are implying)
Hope this helps

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for clearing that up for us. My teacher put in a protest about a mark, and I have not heard anything back from the board yet... not even a letter saying the protest was unsuccessful... do you have any idea how long it may be before I would get a response? Also if you sent away for a clerical recheck, how long is it until you get the results of the clerical recheck?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I got the results of my clerical recheck back today, no mistakes... did anyone else end up getting one done?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sorry to hear that braindrainedAsh, meh BOS markers....

What was your actual mark and what did you wanted out of the recheck?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Any chance you could scan us a copy of the letter, braindrainedAsh?

Generally, appeals against actual marks have to be lodged by the school principal, and he or she has to feel that this particular student's mark is anomalous. The Board would be able to tell you the exact procedure which should be followed.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well see the letter I got today was only for a clerical recheck... my teacher protested my Eng Ex 2 mark, but we have heard absolutely nothing back from the board about that one...

Our school did so shit this year.... worst in 11 years!!! We can't figure out why... maybe lots of not so smart people dragged our whole school's results down???

For the person who asked, my UAI was 96.5.... I wanted at least over 97... I know it seems close and I won't care as long as I get in to my preferred course, but it's touch and go at the moment if I will get in, only Monday will tell....

My scanner is being gay... I'll scan it and post it here when I can get it to work!!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Here is the scan of the letter (with personal details omitted obviously)

They made a mistake though, it says 2 u mathematics extension 1, for me it was only 1 unit... if they screw up something like that, imagine what else they screw up lol....

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Did the board make a typo mistake or is it my eyes why did Math Ext 1 was counted as 2unit when Ash did Maths (2units) with Maths ext 1 ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)