• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone try OTEN Institute of TAFE (1 Viewer)

IceBreaker

HSC
i look into the home schooling thread and you cant do it unless you got some kind of medical problem

Ok so it seems home schooling is not possible for years 10 and up. All my research seems to indicate this, so if anyone says otherwise, please raise your voice.

I went to the open high school site (http://www.theopenhs-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/) and all they do is languages.

The distance education high school (http://www.ssdec.nsw.edu.au/) seems to only enrol people who have some kind of special need or something.

So am i correct in saying that if you are a sane and healthy person, the only way to do the HSC is basically at school or via TAFE? There is no home option here?

IceBreaker

HSC
oh wait, in the thread you can legally do it but you have to negiogate it with a school that willing to do it., pff to complicated

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
IceBreaker said:
i look into the home schooling thread and you cant do it unless you got some kind of medical problem

Ok so it seems home schooling is not possible for years 10 and up. All my research seems to indicate this, so if anyone says otherwise, please raise your voice.

I went to the open high school site (http://www.theopenhs-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/) and all they do is languages.

The distance education high school (http://www.ssdec.nsw.edu.au/) seems to only enrol people who have some kind of special need or something.

So am i correct in saying that if you are a sane and healthy person, the only way to do the HSC is basically at school or via TAFE? There is no home option here?
Sydney Distance should allow it actually if you are not close to another institution or you are looking for a certain subject I believe but its impled that if you can you should go to a class rather than distance by the way their things are setup. However also what is the issue with doing it at a local TAFE?
And currently there are other extensions just not very many; Music, Retail, Language and History.

soso

HSC
N/A
Oh Kami your back. Still pushing the 'teacher' version on everything. Are you a teacher, you sound like one telling me where to go, what to think, where to say it.

Students who want to go to university and get a good UAI need to select subjects that will deliver that good UAI. That is a fact. If you do standard english you chances of getting a band 6 are minute. this is a fact. They are better if you do advanced english this is also a fact.

Do not pretend this is isolated in the choice of subjects. If you look into this site you will find a page of what is scaled up and what is scaled down and by how much. So Kami as always you are wrong.

You don't need a UAI to get to Uni. THere are many backdoors as unis need bums on seats. You might not get your first choice but can often do first year, show how good you are and transfer to your choice

Students should not think they failed because their UAI is less than 90. Fantastic if its high but this does not define who you are and is dangerous if it starts to.

WHo cares where I say it it may help someone

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
soso, alignment and scaling is different-the mark used for your uai is your raw then it is scaled and that is exactly the same for standard and advanced if you bother to look at the scaling portion off this site. And aligning is something totally unrelated which determines your bands and hsc mark which is where the difference in standard and advanced comes into play. If you don't believe me ask Lazarus aka James King. Also if you wanted to help people rather than flaming others you would make threads titled with the correct advice so that those who need it can read it.
And nowhere do i push a "teacher" view. So grind your axe on someone else.

soso

HSC
N/A
Kami you just produced a post full of teacher knowledge. HOw could this be?

As to flaming may I ask am I one hand clapping?

HSC
N/A
Just jumping in here -

As members we are are perfectly entitled to our own opinion. However, low statements such as "you are always wrong" are considered personal attacks (flaming), and there's really no need for that... as to what he said, it's similar to what I think as well. It's not "teacher knowledge", it just happens to be opinion, which is welcomed just as much as yours.

I know several people who have made it into Uni without a UAI (or required UAI), and I go to Macquarie University, aka "Transfer-Land". I also did a "bad scaled subject" (Textiles, two if you count General Maths) and got my uai of 92.95, which I'm perfectly happy with. I really don't think scaling will affect you that much - I know other people who also did subjects that "don't scale well" and they all got above 95...

soso

HSC
N/A
This is not the first time Kami and I have disagreed.

I agree with you that you are entitled to opinion but that opinion should not be presented as fact.

CrashOveride

HSC
icebreaker...go read the entire thread..specifically the later parts where i SPECIFICALLY mention self-tuition.

glitter: scaling does matter. if u are aiming at the top league, say 99.8+, scaling matters drastically

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)