• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone volunteering for Yellow Shirt this year? (1 Viewer)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I don't have problem chatting with people in general, but I don't like interviews just as much as I don't like speech competition :)

Funny though, how that was one of the questions asked in the interview: whether people who are disabled / not as fluent in English can be a Yellow Shirt, and every one including the facilitator insisted that it's no problem. Is that awfully PC of them, I'm not sure.

I agreed to some extent, but voiced my doubt. YS seem exclusive, they seem to emphasize a lot on the limitation of people they can accept. So, I hardly think people who don't usually stand out would see themselves making it to be YS as they might not be given the chance to prove themselves in the 1st place, let alone disabled people and those who don't speak English well.
No matter what they tell you, they don't pick international students unless they speak fluent english. You will never see your typical fobs in the YS program.

As for disabilities however, one of the main facilitators of the program is deaf but you wouldn't really notice as it doesnt detract from her ability at all in her position.

Put it this way. People who can't speak english well or are disabled don't usually apply for the program in the first place.

To be fair to YS though, its not that they're necessarily exclusive. It's more the fact that because they get so many applications, they have to use some sort of stringent selection method to ensure that those who are most suited to the program get in.

They're not after just one sort of individual. The SLOT all sit down and sort those successful people out in to groups based on your personality quizes. It's a really diverse mix of people. Probably the only program on campus where not everyone is completely asian or doing one specific degree.

lol! my mate got in and he's pretty socially awkward sometimes.

he can talk and shit but he's not exactly outgoing

bullshitted them so well lol
He must have been pretty good then. I remember my 2nd round selection back in 07.

For the group interview, they gave us some random quote and we discussed it. I did pretty well as I facilitated the discussion but let others speak. For the other generic questions, I said the usual 'I like uni and I'm grateful to UNSW and my reason for applying for the program would be my way of saying thanks. etc' but with probably more enthusiasm than the others around me.

For team building exercise, I don't really remember or care. Just made it look like I was doing something although my future gf (who was in my interview as well) told me later on that I didn't really do anything except talk.

For personality quiz, most people tend to fit 2 categories but I forgot what mine were.

littlesev

HSC
No matter what they tell you, they don't pick international students unless they speak fluent english. You will never see your typical fobs in the YS program.

As for disabilities however, one of the main facilitators of the program is deaf but you wouldn't really notice as it doesnt detract from her ability at all in her position.

Put it this way. People who can't speak english well or are disabled don't usually apply for the program in the first place.

To be fair to YS though, its not that they're necessarily exclusive. It's more the fact that because they get so many applications, they have to use some sort of stringent selection method to ensure that those who are most suited to the program get in.

They're not after just one sort of individual. The SLOT all sit down and sort those successful people out in to groups based on your personality quizes. It's a really diverse mix of people. Probably the only program on campus where not everyone is completely asian or doing one specific degree.
Ia. I haven't made any local friend for the two months I've been here. It's difficult to, when no one in your class is Australian. So it's nice to see a somewhat diverse group for once.

By exclusive i meant, that increases the attractiveness of the programme -aside from it being fun- because not all could be accepted. Reminds me of that HIMYM episode, Yes, there is such thing like too many volunteers :)

Haha, I found myself nodding along to other people's responses, must've caught it from the markers. I should've taken out a notepad and started writing stuff, see how that would've gone down. :p
Haha. Were you the facilitator or the one interviewed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)