AOS Essay (1 Viewer)

youix

HSC
In my AOS essay feedback, it says "Link to discovery?" How am I suppose to link it? I don't understand. Can someone give me an example? Also, at the end of the paragraph it says "What does this say about the nature of discovery?" What does this mean? Also, how do I link it to my prescribed text when I'm talking about my related. At the end of the paragraph it says, "Link to Tempest?"

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
In my AOS essay feedback, it says "Link to discovery?" How am I suppose to link it? I don't understand. Can someone give me an example? Also, at the end of the paragraph it says "What does this say about the nature of discovery?" What does this mean? Also, how do I link it to my prescribed text when I'm talking about my related. At the end of the paragraph it says, "Link to Tempest?"
I'm pretty sure if you search for a bit on this forum you're going to find a much more descriptive guide on what you're asking. Search "How to write a band 6 essay".

However, what you're asking implies that you have not asked a lot of questions when you had more time, and it might be too late. Having said that, assuming you've got your techniques, quotes, evidence and analysis on lock down, it might not be too late.

A extremely short, basic answer to your question:
Paper 1 Section 3 is asking what your prescribed text and a related text of your choosing says about the process/nature of discovery. You must therefore use the evidence and analysis you've been learning to express what the text is trying to say about discovery. This is most likely what your teacher meant in "Link to discovery?", as you may have been writing about things unrelated to discovery.

For example: "The shaking of the handheld camera shot suggests how discovery can be confronting and provocative."

As for your related text, its purpose is in what it's called - relating to your prescribed text. The related text is used to compare with your prescribed text and how it may be similar and different in conveying the nature of discovery. This is what the teacher means by "Link to Tempest".

This is a very, very short rundown of the basics of this section. I suggest that you have a poke around this forum and see if you can find an essay guide that can give a much more detailed and comprehensive understanding on what you're meant to do.

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
Make sure when you're writing paragraphs that you are supporting an actual thesis that makes some sort of argument about discovery e.g. discoveries offer renewed perceptions about the world. (which is what I think they mean when they say "what does this say about the nature of discovery?")

In paragraphs make sure your topic and concluding sentences explicitly make a statement about how that text supports your thesis e.g. This text facilitates discovery through its exploration of new values, augmenting responders' understanding of the world. And obviously your actual analysis has to be geared towards proving this. Btw: you should use the word discovery itself in every topic sentence. ("link to discovery")

With the related thing, just start off your topic sentences making a link like this "Reflecting The Tempest's discussion/exploration/demonstration of ___insert concept___, Related Text further exemplifies how discoveries are confronting due to ___". Then throughout your paragraph should probably make at least 1 other reference back to your prescribed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)