AOS texts (1 Viewer)

stressed02

Does anyone have any ideas as to supplementary material for changing self? i can't find any good ones
thanks

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
i compiled a scrapbook for my supp material for changing self. the main guideline i followed was to collect a wide variety of text types...so i had stuff like comic strips/cartoons, short stories, films, plays, images/artwork, interviews, letters, magazine and newspaper articles etc... I targeted materials that weren't too conventional, say texts from different eras. Also, try to be imaginative in your interpretation of the supp material. I know, for example, a lot of ppl are including j.d.salingar's "catcher in the rye" as a reference...but its pretty much done to death in terms of analysis in the all the study guides around. Avoid including supp material that is already listed as one of the texts studied in other modules...the list is available from the board of studies website (the real one hehe). That's all i can think of at the moment. if u want a set of guideline questions u should answer in relation to each text...dont hesitate to buzz.

stressed02

wow you seem really organised, well done. thanks for the info... how many extras do we actually need? is it one?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well, try and have at least 3 up your sleeve
coz in the exam the questions are worded "....in your response, make reference to ur prescribed text, 1 text from stimulus and other related texts"
notice the plural for 'texts'?

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
very true minai
ive perfected this essay for the AOS changing self, and it contains analysis of 3 gwen harwood poems, one item from the stimulus booklet and 3 related items. i just keep re-writing the same essay because it addresses a well worded question that would provide a prototype answer for basically any question put to u in the hsc paper. so have analysis of 3 related texts really down pact and make it interlink with the other texts. because one main criterion for marking the AOS response is that u display an understanding of intertextuality.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, u seem set for the AOS exam then
wat text from the stimulus are u using?

i hate that word - intertextuality :mad:

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
either 'the door' or 'sky high'. but im more comfortable with the latter. just in case they call upon analysis of a visual nature, i have the contrasting paintings (conciliation/national picture) up my sleeve.

hehe...dont we all hate that word. :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cool

i dun think they can say "visual text from stimulus"
can they?

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
no they cant
but ive prepared a visual just in case the selection seems a little mundane in terms of text type...so i might chuck in a visual

sif not 99

I have a couple of texts from the Good Weekend in the Sydney Morning Herald, they seem to have good stories on changing self and things that people went through. I have one on Peter Cosgrove as well as OJ Simpson and can be described "loosely" as newspaper articles from the SMH to mask that they came from the same source within. Also I have a poem from World War 1 as to changes underwent on the western front in relation to taking life and stuff, pretty powerful.

Personally I like the Duttereau appropriation for my AoS stimulus text, the aboriginal issue has so many implications and things to talk about. Whether or not I use it I havent decided yet.

As for Gwen Harwood I think I will use the barn owl poem. Actually didnt contain any references to pedophilia which is good for HArwood =)

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Text 4 chaning self

Make sure u leave urself open to a variety of text when choosing ur own text.
Ie music, movies, literature etc.
but sorry, i'm doing chaing perspective so i got no clue

ice_cream

hey is anyone doing my place?
i see most people are doing Gwen Harwood's poetry...
is anyone having trouble with the creative writing?
cos i'm totally unimaginative under exam conditions...and i feel so dead.........

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah im doing my place
its highly boring, but interesting when u think about it
im tryin to do wat lexie's done, perfect an AOS essay encompassing all my texts (My Place, The Door, With Arms Wide Open - creed, and some poem i found)

well, try to give about 5-10 mins to think about wat u wanna write, like use that time to write a rough plot or watever
but i guess some ppl are more naturally talented at creative writing than others ?

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
here's some creative writing for Minai:
I'll be the wax,
You be the flame
In our candle of love.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Willy, please refrain from posting crap that I, nor anyone else is interested about

Alex

Some of Willy's remarks can also see him get banned. Willy, you have been warned, no offensive material or messages.

ice_cream

hey minai...what kind of related texts do you have for my place?
cos i find it hard to find related texts for my place...and i don't really even understand the "changing self" in this biography...
it seems more of a "self discovery" thing...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe, well thats the whole idea i guess
self-discovery is basically undergoing self-change...u are learning more different things about yourself and surroundings, causing your values and stuff to change

i have 2 pages on changing self specifically on my place from the text: Changing Self - Study guide and Workbook
let me kno if u want me to send it to u

as for my texts, im using a poem i found on the net and its sorta the same ideas as sky high...and im doing the Creed song - With Arms Wide Open, which we did as an listening assessment
i dunno if i should have another..like a visual...ill keep looking

to find stuff to do with my place, look into texts that u kno u can link to the stuff like; change over time(maturitity) and changing values thru maturitity...and negative and postive consequences of change...good things to look at if your stuck is stuff on aborginal treatment, or autobiographies about them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)