Apology to SDD students.. (1 Viewer)

[_mastak8r**]

I would like to apologise to all SDD students for my non-attempt at the HSC exam. I have had the dirtiest bitch of a teacher for this course who claims she is qaulified (she has completed a "computers in instruction" course), so i will be sitting the HSC based on general knowledge. If anyone thinks i can learn the course by myself in a few days let me know which notes will cover my situation...

:confused:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Get the Sam Davis book and cram like you've never crammed before! :D

chris42

HSC
You can get those SDD in a month books, I think excel make them.

I'm also waiting for the 'revise SDD in a week' :p

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm sort of in the same situation, though not as bad as yours. I've basically had to teach myself my entire option topic because it seems like my teacher just gave up near the end

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
I'm sort of in the same situation, though not as bad as yours. I've basically had to teach myself my entire option topic because it seems like my teacher just gave up near the end
LMAO, my teacher gave up from the start :p...

but luckily i did have interest in programming, and some of the topics in the course relate to a bit of programming, so i learnt a bit of it myself.

sneaky pete

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~Perfection
im in the same boat.. the way our teacher explained it just made it more confusing :(
you better buy some more boats cause im afraid over 90% of the sdd candidature is in the same boat as you (us). :(

vanity

HSC
ok, story time girls and boys...

picture this, beginning of year11, block C room 21... 24 students wait eagerly for their sdd teacher to begin the so called "former 3U computing studies".

a teacher we used to call Mrs Wallaby *does skippy the kangaroo noises* enters and to cut a long story short, our homework is to find out what object-oriented programming is.

she doesnt return ever again. (instead, 6months later we're informed she's gone home to canada)

the head TAS teacher takes us for a few months. simply copying notes from the textbook onto the whiteboard that we either type up or write in our exercise books

then some coffee+cigarette smelling teacher comes and takes us for many more months til the end of year 11. this guy.. oh my god.. the first thing we were taught was how to do an elaborate algorithm (flowchart by the way!) on how to shoot rabbits. and then seperate the rabbits and shoot them.. then shoot every fourth one.. etc... we knew more about how to kill rabbits than how to do algorithms. occaisionally he'd show up on mondays with a "big headache girls, i only came today... please go on with your work" WHAT WORK!?!?!? he'd rest his head on the desk and fall asleep while we played games, chatted, and checked email...
anyways, at the end of year 11, 10 people had dropped sdd, (i was tempted)
no other teacher in the school was qualified to teach us except the deputy principal. when he show up between meetings, we'd copy notes from the textbook (de ja vu) and occaisionally do some pseudo code'ing.
we were sposed to have started our major projects last year except mr coffee/cig teacher never gave the assignment to us in between his hangovers.. so we had little time to do them..

anyways... four teachers later.. only 5 chapters were in our trial (we were that far behind).. which our teacher had just taken from another high school (along with the major project, thank you pennant hills high!) and it was left to us to get together in study groups, divide the chapters up, and provide eachother with the necessary summaries.

*almost sobbing*
the end....

saves.the.day

HSC
Whoa.. vanity that was the most shocking story I have ever heard. I have a similar story for IPT (not SDD) but it is dwarfed by your story.

Winston

HSC
Well the bad thing about SDD is:

Bad Scaling
ABSOLUTELY 95% non-qualified teachers, there is one in my scool very smart, but he's not our teacher :(
Poor question designing i reackon
The syllabus keeps changing dammit.

-X-

HSC
N/A
SDD syllabus sucks! Nothing compares to physics syllabus. Its so detailed and accurate.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What did you mean when you said the marking guidelines changed?

How will it affect us and where did you get that information from?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
What did you mean when you said the marking guidelines changed?

How will it affect us and where did you get that information from?
you talking to me Ragerunner?, well not really change i duno some parts are modifying i ASSUME sorry, because in the 2001 HSC CSSA Trial they required you to know BCD, and Sam mentioned yesterday it wasn't in the syllabus so i suspect some what the syllabus has chnaged a bit now. But it's not just this minor change, there's also other things.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Yeh context diagrams arent mentioned in this syllabus too. They were in last years HSC though.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
But how much are we affected?

I heard you said the changes will probably allow more and band 6's which i find quite hard to believe.

Winston

HSC
But how much are we affected?

I heard you said the changes will probably allow more and band 6's which i find quite hard to believe.

I'm inclined to say it's not the syllabus, more so the range of questions they will be giving us will be more better this yr so that it can actually be fitted into the actualy BAND 6 criteria.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Such as?

*Hopes Algorithms won't play a huge part of the 2003 paper*

Seriously....in the textbook the only parts that use algorithms are learning sorts/searches and arrays

yet the 2002/2001 exam compromised heaps of algorithms :(

Also when learning BNF/EBNF, do we need to know both?

In the 2001 paper they used BNF.

Winston

HSC
Such as?

*Hopes Algorithms won't play a huge part of the 2003 paper*

Seriously....in the textbook the only parts that use algorithms are learning sorts/searches and arrays

yet the 2002/2001 exam compromised heaps of algorithms :(

Also when learning BNF/EBNF, do we need to know both?

In the 2001 paper they used BNF.

Well i can't quite tell you Sam D might know more,

but a teacher explained it to me, like no one knows what the actual questions are that are Band 6 type until the exam is done and marked, it ranges everyyr, they have their ways of determining which questions fall into the Band 6 catageory

Algorithms is an inescapable part of SDD i'm afraid to say, maybe they might only give us one mini one this yr lol prays!
as for BNF and EBNF, i'd say don't get your syntax mixed up with both, but know the differences between them, because i had a question in an exam before, about the diffs between them, for example, EBNF supports, repetition, optional elements, and also grouping of elements, where as BNF doesn't support these, and also repetition in BNF is achieved through recursion.

MrMiK

As for your stories of dingy teachers...
we had a certain teacher through the prelim yr who taught us nothin bout ergonomics.. i think he has an obsession with them.. o and alcohol.. and pot.. and inconvienient emphasis... and young girls...
ANYWAYS...he was a wanker and just didnt care from the start. Our class of 2002 of about 12 students fell to 6, and back up the 7 in early 2003.
Here is where his long service commenced, and so the previous yrs SDD teacher took us under his wing. We learned the prelim course and HSC course briefly over the yr. Tho i think our class is much to social for me to get decent marks.

I just wana ask.. with SDD teachers.. why are there so many problems.. i think they should do a test prior to teaching the subject to save the problems for the students futures they affect.
oh.. and also include a background test... just for the hell of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)