Apple MacBook (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
Yeah, I was thinking so too. Btw, there are no trade ins for macs. I bought my 12 inch iBook last year, thinking of getting a new one. Possibly a MacBook. I could easily sell it but just wondering ...

I'm actually quite happy that the MacBook comes in black.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
wikiwiki said:
interoperability with what?

What a fucking bizarre claim.
I was going to post that, but I can see it will start a flame war.

the main things I see polotik referring to are probably games and engineering applications

nwatts

HSC
I used to think the same way as alan, but having poked around, there are OSX-based equivilants for "niche" programs that seem to jump beyond those offered for XP. Plus, OSX packs in a shitload of features/software that you'd otherwise need to install on what is a very bare Windows XP (open first installation).

I've ordered one of these new Macbooks. The white 2.0ghz version. I almost grabbed a 12" Powerbook a while ago, but when the Macbook Pros were released I held off till they downsized them, which i'm very glad to have done.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i just bought a new lappy today :eek:

anyway that magnet-plug thing of the new macs looks pretty schmick.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Vista post-2003 was recoded from the Windows 2003 codebase, which has been proven to be much securer than OS X in a server environment. Coupled with the numerous updates to the kernel, Vista will be the OS of 2006.
Talking about Vista's security now is a bit bogus because as it gets closer and closer to release, more and more hackers will target it. Whether or not it can resist them will be the key to its security. Besides, it still has to come out yet, and there won't be much of 2006 left when it does.

That being said, I'm seriously considering a MacBook for next year. I quite like OS X, and having used Windows for years, it's about time for a change. That and the fact that the new MacBooks look cool.

I_F

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You're saying that Hackers will base their exploits on Beta code?
Why not? It makes sense - the final work will be the beta code or an updated version of the beta code, yes? A few will probably get started early, with more coming in as we go, and once Vista's out the floodgates will open. If it can resist, brilliant. Then it'll deserve OS of the year.

There is one major update that everyone is forgetting about Vista. No longer will anyone be able to permanently be logged in as Administrator, therefore most exploits and spyware, will be useless on Vista.
It's a major update alright, since OS X has had it for a while... but anyway. Microsoft has already had to plug one possible exploit with User Account Protection that let malicious code circumvent the query. Currently, the feature is more annoying than useful since it throws up a billion dialog boxes in even simple tasks (and that's not even considering the fact that most Windows applications assume you have full admin rights - lots of boxes there). Microsoft will have to cut those right down (which I'm 100% sure they will) if they want to keep customers.

Don't get me wrong, I know Microsoft's putting everything into security for Vista, and features like User Account Protection are a good (if late) move. The moment of truth will be once it's finally out and being probed by thousands of hackers worldwide. Then we'll know whether it's up to snuff.

Back on topic, breaking, what's the new MacBook like to use?

I_F

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
wheredanton said:
Had a look at the display unit at unsw today. Typically very sleek. Lovely screen, while glossy its not that relfective. Word still works slowly in that Ms word for mac is still written for IBM and therefore runs off rosetta thus offsetting any speed gains through the use of the intel core processor.
That's reason enough for me not to buy a mac book.

I want all that and more, not other problems I'm use to not having.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
That's reason enough for me not to buy a mac book.

I want all that and more, not other problems I'm use to not having.
I read that about 5 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say :(

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
I read that about 5 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say :(
"That's reason enough for me not to buy a mac book"

refers to how i'm not use to having slow Word so i wouldnt buy it.

"I want all that and more"

referred to when I buy something new (ie moving from PC to mac) I'd want it to have the good points of a PC but be better. Which is probably very unrealistic but a slow Word is enough to not make me buy a Mac Book

"not other problems I'm use to not having"

slow Word being the problem and that I'm use to not having that problem with a PC

Understand?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
"That's reason enough for me not to buy a mac book"

refers to how i'm not use to having slow Word so i wouldnt buy it.

"I want all that and more"

referred to when I buy something new (ie moving from PC to mac) I'd want it to have the good points of a PC but be better. Which is probably very unrealistic but a slow Word is enough to not make me buy a Mac Book

"not other problems I'm use to not having"

slow Word being the problem and that I'm use to not having that problem with a PC

Understand?
Ah I see...

But macs will never "have the good points of PCs and be better". Each platform has its advantages and disadvantages.

rand0m3r

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Thanks, fucktard. Vista will not be a safe OS. OSX is not an appropriate server OS anyway, various distributions of linux are more appropriate.
relax wikiwiki, it's not worth getting fired up over that INFS-spastic. he doesn't even own a mac and is comparing it to vista already, which is not even out either.

nwatts

HSC
Finally picked up my Macbook today. Long time waiting. Cursed, money.

Must say though- pretty fantastic. My big switch to a mac couldn't have gone more smoothly. Big differences for me (from other macs) have been the ultra glossy sex-screen, as well as this new style keyboard that's integrated into the case rather than being some kind of cut-out. Plus it's wayyy fast. The eMacs at uni pale in comparison.

MacOs x has so much over windows it's not funny. I remember thinking when opting for the intel macs that if all else fails i'll load up windows. No bloody way.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I was playing with one today for first time and the only thing that stood out is that the optical drive is a bit more noisy than I would feel comfortable with.

oh yeah, and I like the huge track pad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)