AppleCare Protection Plan? (1 Viewer)

plasticities

HSC
I'm planning on buying a macbook pro (my first one) and I was wondering if it's worth paying the extra $350 for a 3 year warranty. I asked my friend if she bought one and she didn't because they're reliable, but my family's ipad broke and when we went into apple, they replaced it for free because it was still under the warranty we purchased. It's obviously a good idea in the case that something goes wrong, but are they reliable enough that the chances are pretty slim? And is it worth the cost?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say it probably is useful incase something does happen to it, especially the hardware or if the battery dies before the 3 years, which it could if you use your laptop a lot. I personally would get it.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
How long do you see yourself using the laptop?

If my laptop broke outside of warranty period I'd most likely buy a new one (the work I do needs intense computing power and I have to regularly upgrade) although if you see yourself using it for a while it might be a wise idea to get it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Depends. In three years your laptop will probaly be out of date,

So it depends on you if it is worth it.

I have had my same Vista latop for 6 years and it is still gerat and top of the line

plasticities

HSC
I'm hoping that it will take me at least to graduation which is 3.5 years away and I don't really like changing laptops so hopefully a while after that as well. At the moment I use my laptop everyday, but not for anything vigorous, mainly just downloading/watching videos, doing assignments/writing notes etc.

I think I will buy it to be on the safe side, plus the cost to repair it without warranty might cost just as much as the warranty anyway.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I'm hoping that it will take me at least to graduation which is 3.5 years away and I don't really like changing laptops so hopefully a while after that as well. At the moment I use my laptop everyday, but not for anything vigorous, mainly just downloading/watching videos, doing assignments/writing notes etc.

I think I will buy it to be on the safe side, plus the cost to repair it without warranty might cost just as much as the warranty anyway.
You're prepared to pay a ~$1.5k more than necessary for a fancy web browser?

Don't do Mac if you're an 'average' computer user - especially the Pro series.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Relevant:

mods I request these posts are deleted and the users permanently banned because their posts are off-topic in a serious forum

@OP: I recommend you get the warranty if you never intend on upgrading

plasticities

HSC

I've only ever used PC's before and my last computer, a Dell more or less snapped in half from the years of constant lifting and closing of the screen. The plastic on the hinges snapped and the audio output stopped working. I liked that the macbooks have the unibody aluminium structure instead of the various plastic components that most other laptops use. I also want a laptop that is fairly light since I carry it to uni almost every day and whenever I travel home every now and then on the train and so I was only really considering ultrabooks or macbooks. However, the ultrabooks usually only have a smaller capacity SSD, usually around ~128GB and I want my music, movies and tv shows on my laptop which wouldn't be enough.

But since I haven't bought anything yet, I might wait a bit longer and do some more research

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I've only ever used PC's before and my last computer, a Dell more or less snapped in half from the years of constant lifting and closing of the screen. The plastic on the hinges snapped and the audio output stopped working. I liked that the macbooks have the unibody aluminium structure instead of the various plastic components that most other laptops use. I also want a laptop that is fairly light since I carry it to uni almost every day and whenever I travel home every now and then on the train and so I was only really considering ultrabooks or macbooks. However, the ultrabooks usually only have a smaller capacity SSD, usually around ~128GB and I want my music, movies and tv shows on my laptop which wouldn't be enough.

But since I haven't bought anything yet, I might wait a bit longer and do some more research
Good to know you've done your research, then. Most people want an MBP because they're sew hipstah or 'pretty' - then buy the most expensive model to browse the internet and listen to music only. I agree with the sturdy design - though, watch the screen. On the 2009-onwards design, they are pretty notorious for cracking for seemingly no reason. No idea if this has been fixed in the new Retina 15".

Lolsmith, I actually own an MBP and still stand by my point. What's the point of a top-of-the-line MBP or similar if you have no real reason for it?

plasticities

HSC
Good to know you've done your research, then. Most people want an MBP because they're sew hipstah or 'pretty' - then buy the most expensive model to browse the internet and listen to music only. I agree with the sturdy design - though, watch the screen. On the 2009-onwards design, they are pretty notorious for cracking for seemingly no reason. No idea if this has been fixed in the new Retina 15".
Yeah I was thinking of probably the entry level 13 inch. I heard that they had to remove a screen component (I think the glass cover) for the retina display model so it might be even more prone to damage and harder to repair.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe the screen is built on the glass for the new one, so there's no separate lcd under it(?). Yes harder to repair and if you are getting the new one (only available in 15 inch) then you'd be a lot better off getting the protection plan, the whole thing is pretty much 1 thing unlike the previous models.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Lolsmith, I actually own an MBP and still stand by my point. What's the point of a top-of-the-line MBP or similar if you have no real reason for it?
I wasn't arguing with your point. I'm saying it's off topic to what the poster asked. She(?) wanted to know if getting the warranty was worth it, not if getting the MacBook was worth it.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

-Better battery life on average.
-Lighter for the other models with similar battery life.
-OSX is based on UNIX, is sturdy, customisable and convenient for coders/designers.
-The unit looks sexy.

If you've got the money, get it.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I wasn't arguing with your point. I'm saying it's off topic to what the poster asked. She(?) wanted to know if getting the warranty was worth it, not if getting the MacBook was worth it.
Fair 'nuff. Was interested in her(his/it's?) reasons - mainly if research was done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)