Application of orbital velocity formula to find speed at which earth spins? (1 Viewer)

noctua

HSC
I tried applying the formula v=sqrt(GM/r) and try to find the velocity at which earth spins (but really the velocity at which an object on the crust of the earth spins). However I get 7905m/s and this is not what google says (465m/s). Is there something wrong with my calculation? Is this the correct way to find the velocity of the earth's spin?

mreditor16

HSC
I tried applying the formula v=sqrt(GM/r) and try to find the velocity at which earth spins (but really the velocity at which an object on the crust of the earth spins). However I get 7905m/s and this is not what google says (465m/s). Is there something wrong with my calculation? Is this the correct way to find the velocity of the earth's spin?
You're using the wrong formula to begin with:

noctua

HSC
You're using the wrong formula to begin with:

Still can't get the answer, actually by using the escape velocity formula, I get an answer that is even more away from the actual value.

emilios

HSC
The velocity at which the Earth spins is a measure of its angular velocity, not its linear velocity.

We don't deal with angular velocity or momentum in HSC Physics.

Last edited:

noctua

HSC
The velocity at which the Earth spins is a measure of its angular velocity, not its linear velocity.

We don't deal with angular velocity or momentum in HSC Physics.
Ok thanks

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Orbital Velocity is a bitch, there are 2 equations to remember and to choose one you would need to see what variables you have avaliable.

I always struggles in those type of question even with Kepler's Law

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)