Applied Research Project (1 Viewer)

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
The thread for those who are doing an ARP this year! There's one in the main drama place, but it hasn't moved - so I thought it might be nice to open up another one in the appropriate sub-forum. Mwahahahaha.

How's everyone going with it? What're you researching? etc. etc. etc.

WE CAN BE BASTIONS OF SUPPORT FOR ONE ANOTHER DURING THESE TIRESOME TIMES. Power to the people.

- Courtney

foliage

HSC
no idea how to get it together

Im feeling incredibly nerdy posting but i'm the only one in my class doing ARP and i don't know where i'm supposed to be in terms of progress. another thing, my teacher really isn't very much help so i'll have a winge here.

question: how are we supposed to structure our response? subtitled report? or a free flowing essay?? its a bit late for me to establish now, i know...
and the hypothosis? just a paragraph of what i aim to prove right? I've got my topic, intormation, and argument but I'm not sure HOW i'm supposed to structure my response!!! argh!!!

where abouts is everyone up to?? or suppused to be up to??? I have a progress assessment for IP due tomoro and i think i'm quite screwed...
thanks ppls

Last edited:

courtnez

HSC
Don't feel nerdy, foliage!!! ARP-ers are awesome.

Anywho, I'm in a similar situation to you: I'm the only one in my class doing an ARP (how much does it suck because you have nobody else to compare notes with?!), I have my hypothesis, argument and rah rah rah - but when it comes to writing the damn thing it's a bit sticky.

HOWEVER the syllabus does say that you can do either a subtitled report OR a free-flowing essay, so it's really up to what rocks your boat. At the moment I'm just doing a free-flowing essay, though I might just whack in a few subtitles later on if I feel like it.

What's your hypothesis etc? How'd your progress assessment go in the end?

-Courtney

foliage

HSC
i'm sooooo relieved that i now have someone to correspond with! i have no idea where i should be in terms of progress! i've got the play that i wana investigate: Machiavelli's "the Mandragola". thats a start. kinda wierd... but yeh i havent exactly got a proper hypothesis going :( i never quite understood what it was meant to be like. but i'll be trying to draw links from this play to renassiance morality and emphasis on the role of the roman catholic church in the play. hmmmm, my teacher prob wont be able to help me there.

my progress assessment was 1000 words of waffle cos my teacher wont be able to tell the difference between waffle and quality stuff so i whacked all this crap in the night before it was due. i havent got the results back yet but i'll let ya kno how it goes. it was soooo crappy., its "progress". how does progress get marked?? do u guys get a progress assessment too??

howz urs coming along?? how does ur teacher go about it all??? submitted are pretty much left in the dark in my kool.... :'( peeves me off a bit.

Last edited:

courtnez

HSC
Will_Sparky did an ARP last year and is also good to talk to about it.

My teachers are all right with my assessment, though because EVERYBODY else is doing Performance or something design-y, I'm pretty much pushed off to the side most of the time. It's very bleh. Maybe talk to an english teacher about your macchiaveli idea, because they're surprisingly more helpful than the drama teachers in regards to critical stuff and often more well read.

We had a progress report at the end of last term, but it was more in a viva/oral presentation format which really constituted me making up stuff about my idea. At the moment it's going okay -- I'm researching how the rehearsal techniques of Cicely Berry enhance the understanding of Shakespeare in actors and I've got all the research (except for proper experiments because apparently relying on interviews and articles is "too dry" for my teacher) but writing it up is such a bore at times - I have to have looooooots of coffee at night to be able to churn out something at all most of the time.

foliage

HSC
hmmm... my ARP is sounding very different to the norm... i went to the Onstage display projects and they weren't what i thought it would be. all these graphs! Tables! Results! my work seems more theoretical and conceptual... a bit of a discussion rather than a practical investigation. A bit weird but i really do hope i'm not fudging around critirea or anthing. I still haven't received feedback on my assessment.. :(

when u said that interviews were "too dry", i coulda died! most of my research is into critical essays of and by Machiavelli's contemporaries, and other critiques and discussions on his subject!! that most be complete dehydration compared to the type of research ur doing! i think i'm going to have to consult in my english teachers for help on this type of thing... i just don't think my topic is "drama-ish" enough. Its got a lot of history and stuff, not heaps on staging techniques and all that. I look into how the play as a mirror of his society and blah blah blah.. that's not quite "drama" enough is it??

courtnez

HSC
According to the criteria, as long as it's associated with drama in a clear way then it fits. I read an exemplary arp from a few years ago which had the topic just as an essay question - which we're allowed to do - so maybe fit it to that? Just make a statement and then follow it with "discuss with reference to other critiques of Machiavelli's subject", perhaps?

I think yours sounds neat, anyway. My workshopping fell through because the year 11 classes don't correllate with my timetable and I'm not really prepared to give up english for drama workshopping, so it may turn out to be (much to the chagrin of my teachers) "dry". :)

-Courtney

eerriikkaa

hey, im erika and i am also doing applied research. i am so scared its not funny. today was the first day it actually hit me, i have only got 16 school days until my project is due in and i haven't even got a proper hypothesis! i have an idea or two but i'm not exactly sure how to make a hypothesis. like you two were saying i also went to onstage and got the shock of my life. are either of you planning on including graphs and diagrams? if so what and how are you going to incorporate them? hope it's ok me joining into your conversation.... goodluck!

courtnez

HSC
Well I just changed my hypothesis because I realised that the one I had wasn't correllating properly with what my research/writing was saying. One good thing to do is just write something in response to your research and build a hypothesis from that :)

What's your research on?

foliage

HSC
hey ppls! i haven't been visiting this page for so long, mainly becos i've completely neglected this IP now that Gp is taking so much more of my time. this project has completely gone down the drain for me.

yeh, erika i'm having the same probs with the hypoth, and i think i'm just leaving that to the end... which is a bit weird of a way to go about the project seeing that the report is meant to be proving or disproving the hypoth. I havn't started the actual thing! I've only been doing rationales and stuff... procrastination.

with the graph and diagrams thing, i'm not using any of those becos it ain't appropriate to what i'm doing. have you guys got that HSC Standards Package at your skool? it gives exemplar responses that got good bands and the one that I saw for applied research was just one fat essay with no subheadings or anything. Pure writing.

Anyhow, good luck for you guys! I think i've just about given up on IP. my life is with GP now. ;) mwa

courtnez

HSC
Due Monday!

ACkkkkkkk, well, mine's due this coming Monday (22 August) at some unreasonable time like 7.30am. Are all yours due at this time? While I'm glad that it will be done with FOREVER come Monday, I'm still fretting about everything. Because I'm the only one in the drama course at school doing an ARP, I've been really quite the neglected one by the teachers. Of course, it is my initiative to have to see them, but at the same time I could have done with them chasing me up to produce things. Now, well, it's essentially too late to back down and change any ideas and formatting etc etc etc.

ANYWAY, oh the panic, oh the pain. My hypothesis was written last, my conclusion written first and everything else was mishmashed in the middle. I rang up BoS to see if the Bibliography and any appendices are counted in the word count, but they didn't know, so I'm just going to assume 'no' so that I can whack in my interview transcripts and surveys in my appendices.

How's everyone else?

Are you getting yours bound?

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?

Frances000

Arp!!!

Mine is also due tomorrow! And my teachers informed me to the syllabus requirements on friday! I had no idea about the "separately titled sections". Can I do a free-flowing essay?? Because that is what I have done. And in reference to the graphs, I had one! and I figured it would be too lonesome in the appendix so i scrapped it. please some one reply tonight! i'm so confused, stupid syllabus.... (btw im also the only one in my class doing ARP, common trend ay?)

foliage

HSC
OH DEAR!!! I'm not including an appendix and all that bizzo. Just a bibliography. But I'm positive that that's not included in the word count!! My is the biggest bodge job and its due tomorrow at 9:00am. I know what u mean about the BOS ppl knowing jack all, coutrnez. they have the most uninformed ppl answer fones!! I'm pretty sure a freeflow essay is allowed frances, that's what i was gona do. But then i found that subtitles fits my response better. I couldn't be fked any more. to hell with this shyt. i have english trials 2moz and i'm not letting this stupid thing get in the way!

yes, i'm the only ARP nigel too... WE ARE THE NEGLECTED CHILDREN!!!!

i dont know what i'm going to do about it... does it need to be bound? can't i just put a bloody staple in the corner?!?!?!?!
good luck everyone.

courtnez

HSC
It wasn't necessary to get it bound :) But well it's over with now. BREATHING A SIGH OF RELIEF INDEEDIO DIDDUMS.

I guess the ARP-nigel-in-the-class is exemplar of one thing: that we are clever and Unique snowflakes.

moxie

HSC
hey, just wanted to ask you guys about ARP. ive just finished yr 11 and im starting to think that i want to do ARP for my IP. would you guys reccommend it? what kind of work would it entail? thanks guys and good luck with your HSC!

annelies

Last edited:

courtnez

HSC
Hey! I loved doing the ARP, so I hope that if you opt to do it that you enjoy it as well.

Firstly, whichever IP you select to do will involve work. There is no IP that is 'easy' or easier than the others, and just because one may involve design, another performing and another writing doesn't mean that they are any easier than the other. BUT to make life easier for yourself, pick something that plays to your abilities. For me, although I do really like performing, I find that I can get really stressed around the time of an examined performance and so do not perform to the best of my ability. Not being a person who is able to draw or design anything, the design option was out for me too. I don't mind writing reports/essays, so the ARP looked pretty good for me. I toyed a lot between the ARP and Theatre Criticism before deciding on the ARP.

Here are some things about the ARP off the top of my head:
1. Make sure you pick to research a topic that is related to drama
2. Read previous years major works - get a hold of the exemplar answers package thing from your teachers. Most schools purchase them, so USE IT, it's good to see what past years received good marks etc.
3. Research, read, write etc. into your selected topic. I started off with a vague sort of hypothesis, but when I found that I could write better and enjoy the process more by changing the hypothesis to something else that related to my research, I allowed it to change. Be flexible.
4. LOGBOOK. It's super useful to stick in anything you read and just annotate where you got it from - particularly for the bibliography.
5. Try to get a primary source :) According to my drama teachers, ARPs with primary sources that relate well to the research etc. are extremely impressive because it mainly shows that you've gone beyond reading what other people may have said on your topic to find your own research.

That's it for now! Just make sure that whatever you do, you know you'll enjoy writing about.

:)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Really wish I found this thread alot earlier, yes, Will_Sparky has made a return just to encourage you to do ARP! They'll have you ripping out your hair, but the research is so rewarding!! I choose to take Applied research at its face value and say alot of it has to be you getting primary sources and stuff. I'll hang around this one thread for a bit, if you have specific questions about it. So glad to hear you guys finished them in time and I would LOVE to read them!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)