APPLIED TRIG HELP (1 Viewer)

bluddybastrds

HSC
P,A,B,C are four points in order on a straight road that runs up a hillside and makes a constant angle of 10 degrees with the horizontal. A flagpole whose height is h meters stands at P. From A and B, the top of the flagpole has elevations of 30 degrees and 5 degrees respectively above the horizontal. If AB is 100m long, what is the height of the flagpole? If BC is also 100m long, what is the elevation of the top of the flagpole from C?

bluddybastrds

HSC
also why are the opening 4 Questions to Ex 2.11 in Fitzpatricks new syllabus book so hard. any help would be appreciated immensely

ultra908

HSC
Step 1 is to always draw a diagram and visualise the scenario.
Step 2 look for important angles that you might need to help you find out h (hint: some angles at P, A and B can be found using geometry)
Step 3 is to look for specific applications of trig rules that will help you determine h (hint: try to use the sine rule)

Hope this helps (and i hope i've done it right...)

bluddybastrds

HSC
Step 1 is to always draw a diagram and visualise the scenario.
Step 2 look for important angles that you might need to help you find out h (hint: some angles at P, A and B can be found using geometry)
Step 3 is to look for specific applications of trig rules that will help you determine h (hint: try to use the sine rule)

Hope this helps (and i hope i've done it right...)
thanks man figured it out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)