Applying for special consideration- is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

*Baby-K*

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wanted some advice here. I've got 1 more exam to go and it's worth 40% made up of two components 1- written at uni, and the second an online test the next day. I had exams up until yesterday so I've been pretty busy getting prepared for those and planned to spend the next 2 days to prepare for my last one which would have been fine until I came home last night and found my mum in tears, long story short, my parents are getting divorced. All I can think about since then is what's happening to my family and as much as I have tried to focus on my exam today it's not happening for me. So I know that special consideration covers anything that happens within 3 days of the exam, mine is on Friday so I guess I'm eligible. But how do you prove something like that? Like what kind of support evidence can I give? And is it really worth it to apply?
Any serious response will be appreciated

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
I think you should apply for the special consideration. The thing is are you going to regret it when you failed exam.....

As for the evidence, you just tell me what happend and see what they want you to do.

Sorry to hear your family problem, good luck.

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
yeah, this is a serious issue that can, or has, affected your ability to perform at your best for the exam.
I say go for it. Though I'm not too sure what the Unit administrator is gonna ask of you for proof lol. :/

*Baby-K*

HSC
Thanks guys,

I think I will try to apply for it and I've thought of going to my doctor to get proof, perhaps he can confirm that I am emotionally unstable due to the circumstances or something along the lines?

X

xeuyrawp

Yes absolutely apply. This is what you do:

1. Email the relevant conveners (CC your relevant tutors) immediately to tell them your circumstances. There's nothing worse than being told by student services that one of your students is getting special considerations when they haven't even told you. (Maybe forget the part about being stressed from your other exams; every student does that.)

2. Fill out an application for special consideration. You fill out half of the form and a 'professional' who can testify to your unforeseen circumstance fills out the other half. Your problem is obviously who should fill it out (usually it's GPs), so tomorrow morning, ring student enquiry services and ask to speak with someone who knows about the form and ask who would be the best professional for you. I suspect they'd recommend that you see a counsellor; there are ones who bulk bill at uni. Once the professional's filled out the other half, you hand in the form to SES.

However you need to think about what would be appropriate for you in terms of what special considerations will get you. I guess that you'd just want a couple of extra days?

Last edited by a moderator:

*Baby-K*

HSC
Yes absolutely apply. This is what you do:

1. Email the relevant conveners (CC your relevant tutors) immediately to tell them your circumstances. There's nothing worse than being told by student services that one of your students is getting special considerations when they haven't even told you. (Maybe forget the part about being stressed from your other exams; every student does that.)

2. Fill out an application for special consideration. You fill out half of the form and a 'professional' who can testify to your unforeseen circumstance fills out the other half. Your problem is obviously who should fill it out (usually it's GPs), so tomorrow morning, ring student enquiry services and ask to speak with someone who knows about the form and ask who would be the best professional for you. I suspect they'd recommend that you see a counsellor; there are ones who bulk bill at uni. Once the professional's filled out the other half, you hand in the form to SES.

However you need to think about what would be appropriate for you in terms of what special considerations will get you. I guess that you'd just want a couple of extra days?
Thanks for that. Do I have to tell my unit convener my circumstances because to be honest I am a little embarassed about it and I'm gonna have the same teacher next term...
I don't really know what the special consideration will give me, I mean sure couple of extra days would be great but is it really that beneficial? At the end of the day I just want to have this exam over and done with as quickly as possible and due to the circumstances I don't even care about my mark anymore. So that's why I am asking is it worth applying for it, because the policy on the website doesn't say what the special consideration actually gives you? I guess if it would be possible to be more lenient with marking of my paper then that would help.

X

xeuyrawp

Thanks for that. Do I have to tell my unit convener my circumstances because to be honest I am a little embarassed about it and I'm gonna have the same teacher next term...
I honestly think that it's a good idea to tell them. I mean I'm a tutor at MQ and this semester I've had students with far greater problems than yours.

Also, it's not embarrassing that your parents are getting split up; it's an unfortunately sad fact of life sometimes.

I don't really know what the special consideration will give me, I mean sure couple of extra days would be great but is it really that beneficial? At the end of the day I just want to have this exam over and done with as quickly as possible and due to the circumstances I don't even care about my mark anymore. So that's why I am asking is it worth applying for it, because the policy on the website doesn't say what the special consideration actually gives you?
Yes, it is unclear what they actually get you. Outside of students who literally cannot write the exam (ie need help or need more writing/reading time), I have only heard of the formal special considerations process having the students sit the exam at a later date.
I guess if it would be possible to be more lenient with marking of my paper then that would help.
I personally think that would be ideal in many cases, but I honestly don't think it's likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

*Baby-K*

HSC
Thank you for your help. I will email my convener tonight and call the student enquiries tomorrow morning. Hopefully something good will come out of this...

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
If you haven't already sorted this out another option would be to see a counsellor from the student support services...it's where the medical practice is. They can sign your forms and sort out all that sort of thing as well. Sorry to hear about your situation and good luck

xsavagex

HSC
Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you can work out your special consideration and that they'll give it to you.

Although I hope you were able to do the exam only because I was reading the policy for special consideration and it said family issues weren't grounds to get special consideration, but hopefully that just means regular family arguments and such.

Hope it works out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)