Approach to studying Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

httton

HSC
Hey guys,

So I'm starting year 12, and as i look on my year 11 results - i find that

- i conceptually get the content.
- i struggle with summoning the terminology when it matters.
- i work hard, but not hard - producing mediocre results for the amount of effort.

I don't go to any tuition but do rely on textbooks (namely conquering chemistry and chemistry context and occasionally jacaranda).

this is my current process
1. read and make notes
2. read notes.

yes that's horrible - insufficient practice which accounts for my lack of control over terminology.

anyway, i seek to improve that - yet i want to know for you geniuses - how you guys approach your studies.

i have this strategy in mind, but if someone would kindly offer suggestions such as
- textbooks/workbooks i must have (i'm looking into dot point - but im open for suggestions)
- working off the syllabus, fulfilling dot points.
- ????

i have no idea what else to do, would someone enlighten me thanks!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

danjw

HSC
With chemistry what I did personally is started making summaries straight up, just definitions of everything we learnt in the course then every day just try and read over your summaries, it'll be boring and you'll pretty much stop paying attention but eventually it'll sink in.
Then get a piece of a cardboard or paper and write all the equations you need to remember and formulas necessary on it and I just stuck it on you wall so you sorta semi look at every day.

Now people seem to hate excel text books but I love them!
Excel success one chemistry is amazing just hit up past papers as much as possible and fully worked solutions makes everything soooooo much easier and get an excel chemistry book and yes its summarized and quite basic but just go through it and highlight, add your own notes down the sides of the pages and draw diagrams and just use conquering chem for actually getting a thorough understanding of anything you find difficult. Hopefully this works for you, it helped me heaps.
Good luck!

sheepi

HSC
Summaries

equasions

Pracs

past papers ( a lot )

a photographic memory helps too joks main thing dont fall behind too much in class so get concepts and clear up understanding by asking questions in class

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)