Appropriate supp texts (1 Viewer)

Kyroth***

HSC
Based on recent discussions, I was wondering what people thought of my supplementary texts. I'm doing Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubenstein, or failing that, Myst, or failing that, Egyptology.
I'm interested in all opinions, including people who say "ugh no" (though its better if you say why!) :)

serge

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
I'm doing Galax-Arena by Gillian Rubenstein
My class studied that text in yr 9, if the markers school does that aswell
it might seem simple or childish, so the marker will not take your essay seriously
(but they're not suppose to have personal bias, so aslong as its detailed
and sophisticated you shouldnt have a problem)

the other two I dont know so no opinion on them

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
i actually think galax-arena is a great text for IJ, coz theres a couple of things happening, like the characters believing that they are in space (how does this belief enrich/degrade their lives?), and at the end where youre conditioned to see it as a 'dream' like experience, sort of distanced from reality but not entirely. Make sure youve got really good examples tho. Im not sure what the other texts are but im sure youve made good choices.... make up your mind quickly tho.. two weeks!!!!!!

snowman4eva

godlike member
HSC
can we use texts by the same author? coz i wanted to use animal farm and nineteen eighty four and they are both by George Orwell. Are they good for IJ ?

Kyroth***

HSC
Cool, thanks.
And with Orwell, be careful, because 1984 is a set text for powerplay, I think, so that means you probably shouldn't do it, as it looks like you just took something from another module. They can't tell whether you did it or not, so its better to steer clear.

snowman4eva

godlike member
HSC
like you said, i am also looking for approapriate and solid supplementary texts for IJ since i am starting AOS next term. I dont really like the contemporary texts and we will be doing the tempest as prescribed text. I was looking for some poetry since they are easier to do and does not require much time such as a novel. I came up with 'Night Ride' by Kenneth Slessor and "Legend" by Judith Wright.
http://oldpoetry.com/oprintall/Kenneth Slessor (night ride, scroll down)
http://oldpoetry.com/poetry/33237 (legend)

i am not really sure about night ride relates to IJ but what do you ppl think?

Kyroth***

HSC
Silly snowman. One word of advice: Don't bother. Yet.
You'll have heaps of oppertunity to get supp texts as you study the stuff. If your school is anything like mine, they'll get you to study HEAPS of other texts, and right now you won't have such a good idea on it. Study prescribed and stim FIRST, then pick.

snowman4eva

godlike member
HSC
>< my school didnt give us any suggestions on what text to study, from my experience in yr 11. i had to think of some text before the actual exam, thats how gay it is. so yea, i learn from my mistakes and start finding early

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)