Arab-Israeli.... (1 Viewer)

B

Bambul

I switched sides quite a bit while I was doing Arab-Israeli last year. But I've reached the point where I no longer think that one side alone is right, nor that because one side is more or less right/wrong then it is right.

There are doves and hawks on both sides and invariably the actions of the extremists on both sides end up hurting most the moderates who want a Palestinian and Isreali state side by side in peace, which is, IMO, the only way to achieve peace other than genocide.

Just a little thing I discovered a few days ago. Apparently Israels occupation of the Palestinian territories is not illegal. Occupation of another countries' land is allowed by international law. What is illegal however, is Israels actions within the territories, not the occupation itself. I don't say this in defence or attack of Israel, just as an interesting aside.

Voss

A lot of you guy's points seem to focus around the pre 1948 happenings, how the Israeli's took Palestinian and and stuff. True, but do the Israeli's, after living on the land for over fifty years, themselves now have a right to live on the land? Certainly not All of the land, but some of it. While there should be a Palestinian State, how big should it be? What percentage of the Arable land do they deserve, and what should they do about the Israeli settlers? :chainsaw:
Sharon is ignoring the Palestinian's rights, like he always has and will, but eventually someone else will come to power and serious negotiations about a Palestinian State will have to deal with these issues. (Bush is not a great help either, while he aknowledges the need for a Pal. State, he has done nothing about it). The problem with the Israeli's in this case is that they own most of the land legally, and control the rest of it militarily, and it will be hard to force them from this position of strength into accepting inevitable harsh Palestinian terms (after Afafat rejected Barak's offer). I think that, practically, there will only be a solution after Sharon is voted out of power (the Palestinians hate him, and he is a hardliner), Bush's War on Iraq is over, good or bad, and Bush (or preferably another US president) has a genuine reason to want peace in Palestine (apart from his upcoming war, but possibly in an attempt to give cred to a puppet Iraqi Government). Hopefully Arafat will not die before then, and if he does negotiations will be delayed for another few years (or more) until doves or diplomats have ascendancy. In conclusion this will not be for many years. If you bothered to read this, good for you I wouldn't have.
:)

jenster

whoa i love how everyone is so opinionated and questioning. if only more people *cough* the rest of the world *cough* were

but how is everyone going in prep for the test? unfortunately i have 4 other exams to tackle before history on firday so it's getting a little neglected

Da_KaMaKaZi

ARAB-ISRAELI

i hate this subject! its so boring! I agree with tha basil84 dude! germany was beta although i cnt say i found it eazy, wats killing me is the fact that i saw in a SAMPLE PAPER a specific question on the war in 1982 the israeli invasion of lebanon! we study a whole chapter n have 2 anser sumthin so specific! IF ANYONE HAS NE INFO ON ARBA ISRAELI CONFLICT PLZ FWD THEM 2 ME!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)