• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

arabic or spanish? (1 Viewer)

sefina

HSC
N/A
Hello! I'm trying to decide which language will be more useful for me,in terms of getting a job in the private sector, as well as a political officer in perhaps the UN.

I hold a Mass Communications diploma, and am currently writing for an online magazine, so journalism will also definitely be on my cards.

I've been accepted to ANU's BA (European Studies) and was perfectly content with my choice to do Spanish until I met with a Brazillian uni professional who told me that while Spanish is spoken across many many countries, the main economy in Latin America is Brazil, which speaks Portugese. He also said it's not very easy to switch between Spanish and Portugese as while they can be similar, they're also very different and it's easy to get mixed up. Plus, he said since I was Asian, I should focus on the Asian market + Asian language as it will come in more handy for me. Plus, all the yada yada on how the Asian economy is the next superpower as America starts to waver and Europe is not strong/united enough to demand world economic superiority. I hope he's not focusing just on China, but also on perhaps India and the Middle East.

I don't know how true his statements are - will someone advise me? If I do an Asian language, it will probably be Arabic just because it's so different to what I've learnt before..but I'm not quite sure how useful it will be. Or should I stick with the BA (European studies)?

What do you guys think - go European or stick with Asian? Benefits and disadvantages of both?

P.S. Terribly sorry for the rambling, I am quite the confused wide-eyed girl.

Hajime

HSC
sefina said:
Hello! I'm trying to decide which language will be more useful for me,in terms of getting a job in the private sector, as well as a political officer in perhaps the UN.

I hold a Mass Communications diploma, and am currently writing for an online magazine, so journalism will also definitely be on my cards.

I've been accepted to ANU's BA (European Studies) and was perfectly content with my choice to do Spanish until I met with a Brazillian uni professional who told me that while Spanish is spoken across many many countries, the main economy in Latin America is Brazil, which speaks Portugese. He also said it's not very easy to switch between Spanish and Portugese as while they can be similar, they're also very different and it's easy to get mixed up. Plus, he said since I was Asian, I should focus on the Asian market + Asian language as it will come in more handy for me. Plus, all the yada yada on how the Asian economy is the next superpower as America starts to waver and Europe is not strong/united enough to demand world economic superiority. I hope he's not focusing just on China, but also on perhaps India and the Middle East.

I don't know how true his statements are - will someone advise me? If I do an Asian language, it will probably be Arabic just because it's so different to what I've learnt before..but I'm not quite sure how useful it will be. Or should I stick with the BA (European studies)?

What do you guys think - go European or stick with Asian? Benefits and disadvantages of both?

P.S. Terribly sorry for the rambling, I am quite the confused wide-eyed girl.
Yeah, I have to agree with Sammy. But I'd probably suggest learning both. The more languages you know, the more articulate and educated you seem.

sefina

HSC
N/A
thanks for the replies guys. :) ill just stick with what I have for now and see how things work out bwhen im there. thanks!

Hercules6

HSC
hewo dere

in my view, of course both would be advantageous, but if your motivation concerns employment opportunities, and it's either/or, I believe arabic would be your best bet. This, in my view, is because: firstly spanish is, at least in contrast to arabic, quite simple and easy to learn. further, i dare say arabic is more coveted in the work force, namely because as you said it's quite different etcetera. finally, in terms of how far reaching either one is spoken, yes they're both official languages of the UN, however, arabic is spoken in areas of the world that in my view will, in the near future, be the focus of and require great levels of social and political change/stability - viz middle east, north africa, thus potentially will require more iteration with the UN and further international organizations/agencies, so potentially with the ability to speak arabic, you could be making your self quite desirable. Depending on what you want to do as well, perhaps Aus Com Gov departments (viz, DFAT, ASis, ASIO etc), i think arabic could result in the greatest amount of opportunities (see reasons above, i.e heaps of countries speak it and it's not spoken widely by westerners) (plus perceived security threats from some arabic speaking countries) . Oh, and if you're going to ANU, arabic = asian studies = ANU asian studies awesome rep, spanish not to the same level.

P,s Arabic is going to be hard, I was going to do it, In fact it was my first preference, but yeah, it looks too hard, So instead i gave up and bone chicken in the steggles factory (grave yard shift).

I guess ultimately what I'm trying to say, is just be like yourself.

Furthermore, thank god Obama won, I didn't have to suicide.

Per ardua ad astra

sefina

HSC
N/A
Hercules6 said:
hewo dere

in my view, of course both would be advantageous, but if your motivation concerns employment opportunities, and it's either/or, I believe arabic would be your best bet. This, in my view, is because: firstly spanish is, at least in contrast to arabic, quite simple and easy to learn. further, i dare say arabic is more coveted in the work force, namely because as you said it's quite different etcetera. finally, in terms of how far reaching either one is spoken, yes they're both official languages of the UN, however, arabic is spoken in areas of the world that in my view will, in the near future, be the focus of and require great levels of social and political change/stability - viz middle east, north africa, thus potentially will require more iteration with the UN and further international organizations/agencies, so potentially with the ability to speak arabic, you could be making your self quite desirable. Depending on what you want to do as well, perhaps Aus Com Gov departments (viz, DFAT, ASis, ASIO etc), i think arabic could result in the greatest amount of opportunities (see reasons above, i.e heaps of countries speak it and it's not spoken widely by westerners) (plus perceived security threats from some arabic speaking countries) . Oh, and if you're going to ANU, arabic = asian studies = ANU asian studies awesome rep, spanish not to the same level.
You echo my thoughts exactly. I've decided to stick with my BA (European Studies) option for now, and focus my Political Science major on terrorism/security subjects within the major. If I feel the need to learn Arabic after one year has passed, I will switch to a general BA and take up the Arabic major.

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it! :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I made a flow diagram for you.

1) Are you American?
No - Proceed to 2)
Yes - Skip to 3)
|
|
|
|
2) Learn Arabic, cos the Monroe Doctrine forbids you to speak to an Latinos, So your Spanish will be useless.
|
|
|
|
3) Learn Spanish. See above for reasoning.

sefina

HSC
N/A
Haha that is cute, thanks. I would have thought everyone would have gone with the obvious and said Spanish, but Im really glad Arabic seems to be the more popular choice here.

Thanks again! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)