• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Arabic. (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Forgive me for not wanting to put this in NS, but it would be destroyed in two wags of a lamb's tail.

Where is the best place for me to learn Arabic in Sydney. I really wouldn't want to travel too far from where I am (near Chatswood), and I would prefer to learn either the Egyptian or Iraqi/Gulf dialects.

It has to do with what I want to end up doing in Egypt, and Macquarie doesn't offer it. I've given up trying to understand the various short courses / non-award courses that all the unis offer, because they change so much, and the websites aren't helpful (understandable, considering they don't formally 'teach' the subjects).

I don't want to be with those amateur 2-hour courses that are held for travellers, I need something that I can do for a good semester, or even a summer beginners course. Maybe even a tutor...

Does anyone have any ideas, it would be appreciated... Thanks :)

sly fly

HSC
Well UWS offers Arabic, but you probably dont wanna do it at a uni. Other than that, you can learn Arabic at various TAFEs (eg:Granville tafe) or you can go to Arabic saturday school (you'll probably be stuck with all the little kids - not to worry though, I wanna learn Arabic too and I'm probably gonna end up doing that lol). GL!

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Bankstown uleh.
Yeh, I saw that on their website... I wonder if I could some how arrange doing that one unit there... Gah. I've done soo many languages, and I'm still forced to do German, Coptic, Hieros, and now Arabic.

tempco

HSC
sly fly said:
or you can go to Arabic saturday school (you'll probably be stuck with all the little kids - not to worry though, I wanna learn Arabic too and I'm probably gonna end up doing that lol). GL!
i wouldn't recommend that. most of those weekend arabic schools are catered to kids that have grown up in an arabic speaking household - that is, it's assumed that the basics of grammar, sentence structure and general use of the language is known (i know - i've been to 2 of these schools in an attempt to learn arabic. both were in vain. :().

X

xeuyrawp

TAFE offers it, but it's impossible to navigate their site. The stupid searching system says that the units aren't offered anywhere.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to ring them. The problem with TAFE, though, is that the class might move at a slower rate...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Bankstown Community College is probably one of the best places in terms of HSC arabic, im sure they'd be pretty good all round though.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Have you thought about doing a unit in Arabic at the Centre for Continuing Education at USyd? It's pitched halfway between TAFE and undergrad.

PS, Pwar - Love your sig. Yes, it's a scroll, but I'm still happy to see you :) Ah! Lingua mortua sola lingua bona est!!! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The Centre for Continuing Education is brilliant - I went there for a course during the HSC and found it very effective, engaging and just plain enjoyable.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
university of sydney has a 12 week course where they teach beginners arabic
but it costs like $256 or something ...i can imagine that would be good
im considering doing it myself

X

xeuyrawp

ManlyChief said:
PS, Pwar - Love your sig. Yes, it's a scroll, but I'm still happy to see you :) Ah! Lingua mortua sola lingua bona est!!! :)
Hahah :D:D:D

With the usyd centre- it seems that the beginners course starts early September. I hope I don't have to wait till next year to start...

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, people. If anyone has any more ideas apart from TAFE, Usyd open ed, and Bankstown community college, give me a yell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)