Archaeologists Discover Ancient Church (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
"Of course, all the Christians are convinced of the history of Jesus Christ," he told Channel Two. "But is it extremely important to have archaeological proof of a church dedicated to him? Certainly."
The older something is the more accurate it is? :rolleyes:

From a historical perspective these are interesting but from a metaphysical perspective all these discoveries show is that people were just as misguided back then as they are today.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anti-Mathmite said:
Yes, which is why they wanted to abolish prison punishments, and give the land the land back to the aboriginals.

When did I say we should abolish prison punishments?

spell check

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Ages ago, you said that imprisonment wasn't the answer, and that everyone, no matter what the magnitude of the offence, should be put into a "re-education" program, as prison see's too much re-offending :rolleyes:
we wouldn't want to reduce re-offending would we! :rolleyes:

gerhard

HSC
why?

helping criminals re-habilitate helps both them and us. its a win win situation.

spell check

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
It is up to the criminals to re-habilitate themselves.

Vous n'aiderez pas l'intrus. You shall not help the intruder.
why is that a good policy?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anti-Mathmite said:
Ages ago, you said that imprisonment wasn't the answer, and that everyone, no matter what the magnitude of the offence, should be put into a "re-education" program, as prison see's too much re-offending :rolleyes:
No I think you're mistaken there. Can you please point me in the direction of those comments because I am sure that I would never say something like that without qualifying it.

Either you have completely exaggerated it, taken it out of context or oversimplified what I said.

Edit:
Anti-Mathmite said:
Let's not derail this topic.
Ok

Last edited:

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
chookyn said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051105/ap_on_sc/israel_ancient_church

"Normally we have from this period in our region historical evidence from literature, not archaeological evidence," he said. "There is no structure you can compare it to, it is a very unique find."

hmm, this is pretty exciting... :)
Yeah!!!
thats really awesome!!!
t4p!!!
how cool they had inscriptions of Jesus and the fish symbol- so cool!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
The older something is the more accurate it is? :rolleyes:

From a historical perspective these are interesting but from a metaphysical perspective all these discoveries show is that people were just as misguided back then as they are today.
It's not really about age. It's about the existence of yet more physical evidence - evidence that further validates the written history of Christianity. Even before this discovery, there has been plenty of archaeological evidence found that supports places and events described in the Bible. Which is important to Christians but understandably may not be to non-believers.

One thing I don't understand: people tend to trust 'secular' historical accounts but suddenly when it becomes remotely religion-related it all becomes BS? I've never understood the logic of that... (perhaps because there is none?)

Don't respond with "because religion is BS" as it would be sooo expected. Not to mention unjustifiable. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
One thing I don't understand: people tend to trust 'secular' historical accounts but suddenly when it becomes remotely religion-related it all becomes BS? I've never understood the logic of that... (perhaps because there is none?)
It's because of the religious spin, that the mere existence of something somehow strengthens the supposed validity of the scriptures.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
the pyramids were built by aliens. hence scientology is the only real religion. ph3ar the aliens! they will return some day and kill us all!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
It's not really about age. It's about the existence of yet more physical evidence - evidence that further validates the written history of Christianity.
Evidence that there was a church/belief in Christianity back then proves nothing about the actual validity of that belief.
chookyn said:
Even before this discovery, there has been plenty of archaeological evidence found that supports places and events described in the Bible.
Claim:
Archaeology supports the accuracy of the Bible. The Bible's historical account has many times been substantiated by new archaeological information.

Response:
1. Archaeology supports at most the general background of the Bible and some relatively recent details. It does not support every biblical claim. In particular, archaeology does not support anything about creation, the Flood, or the conquest of the Holy Land.

If a few instances of historical accuracy are so significant, then an equal claim for accuracy can be made for the Iliad and Gone with the Wind.

2. Archaeology contradicts significant parts of the Bible:
  • The Bible contains anachronisms. Details attributed to one era actually apply to a much later era. For example, camels, mentioned in Genesis 24:10, were not widely used until after 1000 B.C.E. (Finkelstein and Silberman 2001).
  • The Exodus, which should have been a major event, does not appear in Egyptian records. There are no traces in the Sinai that one would expect from forty years of wandering of more than half a million people. And other archaeological evidence contradicts it, showing instead that the Hebrews were a native people (Finkelstein and Silberman 2001; Lazare 2002).
  • There is no evidence that the kingdoms of David and Solomon were nearly as powerful as the Bible indicates; they may not have existed at all (Finkelstein and Silberman 2001; Lazare 2002).
Many claims that archaeology supports the Bible, especially earlier ones, were based on the scientists trying to force the evidence to fit their own preconceptions.

- www.talkorigins.org
chookyn said:
People trust secular historical accounts because secular historical accounts don't try to make us believe things that are scientifically implausible and far-fetched.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
The_highwayman said:
Why can't we believe in something that isnt supported by science? Arent we meant to rule science, not the other way around?
Science is the pursuit of truth. It attempts to explain the world as we know it. Believing in something contrary to science is completely foolish without some justification.

If I told you that I could fly you wouldn't believe me. Why? Because it is contrary to science: we know humans cannot fly.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Why can't we believe in something that isnt supported by science? Arent we meant to rule science, not the other way around?
We are governed by science and what it teaches us. The only way in which we 'rule' science is through the acquisition of previously unknown knowledge.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
chookyn said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051105/ap_on_sc/israel_ancient_church

"Normally we have from this period in our region historical evidence from literature, not archaeological evidence," he said. "There is no structure you can compare it to, it is a very unique find."

hmm, this is pretty exciting... :)
I can't see why you would find this exciting. If you had faith you wouldn't need any more proof.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
so history doesn't interest some of you, i take it...

for me this isn't about proving christianity, i already had enough proof, personally. its just interesting okay? i thought others would find it interesting too. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
so history doesn't interest some of you, i take it...

for me this isn't about proving christianity, i already had enough proof, personally. its just interesting okay? i thought others would find it interesting too. :)
MoonlightSonata said:
chookyn said:
It's not really about age. It's about the existence of yet more physical evidence - evidence that further validates the written history of Christianity.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
You're a sharp one Moonlight.

What i meant was while the discovery obviously provides more evidence, which is always welcome, for me its mainly out of historical interest, because FROM A PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE i have enough proof. Make sense?

Also when i was saying history doesn't seem to interest some, i was referring to NTB and erawamai, the former who missed the point entirely and the latter who seemed to think the discovery was rather dull...

Anyway i'm off to go and get a life :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)