Archaeologists Discover Ancient Church (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I'm not too interested in it, I actually think it's boring history (at least at the moment).

No it doesn't.
Fair enough. But how doesn't it?

Generator

HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
Fair enough. But how doesn't it?
It provides further evidence that the structure of the church existed back then, but that is not the same as providing evidence as to the existence of a god or the validity of the scriptures as documents of belief (for the 12345th time).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well... just because you find an old church doesn't really add any weight at all to any logical argument about whether christianity is 'true'.

Lozacious

Banned
HSC
In my opinion, just because an old church was found, this doesn't really add any weight at all towhether christianity is 'true' or not.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Who was argueing this was proof of the existance of God?

I though it was interesting because we know have some idea of Church structure in Briton from that era.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
the tourism dude says its gonna significantly increase tourism...

...whos dumb enuff to goto israel and visit an old church?

...whos dumb enuff to goto israel???

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
article: "The dig took place over the past 18 months at the Megiddo prison in northern Israel, with the most significant discoveries taking place in the past two weeks, Tepper said. Scholars believe Megiddo to be the New Testament's Armageddon, the site of a final war between good and evil.

"Tepper said the discovery could shed new light on an important period of Christianity, which was banned by the Romans until the fourth century."
^ yeah it was found in northern Israel. I guess church seems more of an English thing because that's where it became more mainstream. When actually the first Christian 'churches' involved small groups of believers meeting in each others houses in the Israel/Middle East area, shortly after the resurrection and ascension of Jesus. Christians then weren't allowed to practice their faith, so having a purpose-built building wasn't possible until the 4th c. AD.

Hence why this is exciting - it's evidence that provides insight into the early Christian church: structure, use of symbolism, artifacts, etc. :)

Last edited:
It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
If I told you that I could fly you wouldn't believe me. Why? Because it is contrary to science: we know humans cannot fly.
I wouldnt believe you because there is no benefit in me doing so. I believe in chrisitanity because of what it provides to me spiritually. There is a significant yet subtle difference between your analogy and the real thing.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't seem to have picked up the point. I shall try again.

Suppose I told you that ants were a super-race of aliens, and their alien abilities were undetectable to humans, and that if you worshipped them then you would go to ant-heaven, where all your dreams come true. Would you believe me? Nice benefit involved. But no, you wouldn't!

stamos

sellout
HSC
haha i don't think he means that

when people talk about their 'spirituality' i think they generally mean that they believe they have some relationship with god which helps to guide their actions

it's like a bit of a psychological crutch for them

you're making it sound like they're bartering their way into heaven and that heaven is the benefit

Last edited by a moderator:

malkin86

HSC
Cool, old church. I wonder what it looks like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)