Architecture at USYD... (1 Viewer)

the_atomium

Bastard Harbour Mastah
HSC
Hey, i'm a student currently studying Digital Arts at the ANU, but was thinking about possibly changing to architecture at USYD. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about what the course is actually like, as opposed to what the handbook says? Also, do you think that the background i'm coming from (ie: 3D work, animation, and design principles) would lend itself to the degree?

be202025

HSC
well... i'm first yr in arch at usyd
up to now the course is quite practical and we do lots of drawing (sketching, drafting etc)
there's not that much theory, coz the first 3 yrs is the Design in architecture degree, which will probably involve more design i suppose

it's a great course i hav to say, it's realli interesting
well... if u like design and drawing
i think 3D work, or CAD will be helpful, coz we are actually starting on AutoCAD (i think) nex semester

i think ur background in digital art will give u advantage in some electives such as 3D modelling etc.

xxPanDa

HSC
i've finanly chosen architecture
but i have one last question

is USYD a uni where it regards archi more as an art/design
or is it leaning more on the practical/constructions?

i heard UTS treats archi more like an "art", i dont want that :S

SureBluff

HSC
xXPanDa, you should have asked the people in the Great Hall for those questions, apparently from what I've heard it offers you a lot of flexibility within the Bachelor of Design in Architecture as electives.

I heard the first year is VERY practical as you'd be doing group projects in your designs and modelling. You can also do a stream in allied arts if you wanna continue with concept drawings, visual arts (paintings/ceramics/etc etc), you can try digital where you do alot of technical stuff with computers. Both those stream imo leans towards art/design. However you can also choose the urban planning stream which is imo more practical if you're heading down that road. Of course, those streams are all optional.

Apart from these, there're other focuses in electives such as team/firm management in architecture if you wanna learn about leadership or the economical side of it. From second year onwards, you can choose electives from any other faculties such as language or psychology if you're interested. Remember that you don't have to continue with bachelor of architecture after the design course, you can choose from a range of other postgrad courses such as illumination design, buildings, urban planning, sustainable design, etc etc ...
What I find to be awesom

Last edited:

SureBluff

HSC
oh btw, I heard 65% of architecture students are female. Hurrah!!!!]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)