Architecture VS Civil Eng (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey ...
Im looking for some advice to help me pick my course for this year.
Now iv always wanted to do Architecture because I just love the whole concept of designing and drawing buildings, homes etc.
Civil Eng was always a second preference just incase I dont get enough marks to do Architecture. But now I hav sufficent marks to do any of these two courses so iv got to make the correct decision.
Many people have adviced me to do Civil, saying that its a 4 year course and eventually a better paying job. But since I never done 3U maths, im worried that im gonna struggle through Eng maths and just hate the crap out of it.

On the other hand Architecture is a 5-5.5 year course and that annoysme a little bit. (studying a further 1.5 years to end up with a less paying career)
I also understand that architecture involves heaps of work and projects.

So i would like some feedback from currect Architecture and Civil students about the amount of work involved in both courses.
Wether you enjoy your course and plan to continue on?
Why would you recommend your course?
What uni do u think is superior in each course?

Any sort of advice would be greatly appreaciated.
Regards

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Personally I'd rather do a job that I enjoy but pays less than a job that I don't enjoy. I'd say you should stick with what you really want to do and consider other things like which uni after deciding what degree / career path you want to take up.

HSC
Riviet said:
Personally I'd rather do a job that I enjoy but pays less than a job that I don't enjoy. I'd say you should stick with what you really want to do and consider other things like which uni after deciding what degree / career path you want to take up.
Well yeh thats true.
But its a matter of knowing which job I would enjoy more.
I think that I wuld enjoy architecture quite a lot, but then again I could be wrong.
As for choosing which uni i think the choice is far easier than choosin the career. ( A toss up between UNSW & Usyd)
Thanks 4 ur advice Riviet

seeka_train

HSC
I currently do an Architecture degree.

Whilst there is heaps of work involved, such as projects for studio work and group assignments for tutes, I think it's worth it. It's fun all-nightering with friends and just hopping out for maccas or what not in the middle of the night!

It has a relatively small cohort, so everyone gets to know each other pretty well. Everyone recognises each other, which is pretty cool. You get close really fast and make friends real fast. I think these are some reasons which makes the course so much more enjoyable. You end up spending a lot of time with people you've gotten to know pretty well. It's like constant sleepovers! With more glue and balsa.

I would recommend my course for anyone who likes the artistic side to designing and building. It's got a bit of everything: design, science, maths, english and history.

I think that in choosing the university to attend depends on the person and what they are looking for in the course. So i think you should do some research cos whilst they are similar, there are differences.

If you want some information about BArchitecture/BArts at UNSW, feel free to PM me.

HSC
Thanks 4 the advice seeka_train, Iv PMed with some questions.

Any advice from current students would be great
Regards

daman

HSC
hey home boy. i had/am having the same troubles as you in decding between architecture and civil engineering, i even made a thread on BOS about it: http://community.boredofstudies.org/586/general-university-discussion/99166/architecture-vs-civil-engineering.html , which could help.

i also found this thread pretty informative: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=353193 . you may need to create an account and its probably worth it because its pretty comprehensive.

im probably gonna stick with civil engineering after learning/hearing more about architecture. some of reasons for this decision are:
  • its a very particular degree and you need to have a very particular interest for it
  • at the usyd open day i was told that only about 33% of students starting out at architecture actually finish the degree! very high drop out rate.
  • at the unsw open day a student said that although the degree is theoretically supposed to take 5-5.5 yrs it usually takes around 7yrs to complete, dunno why.
  • architects supposedly dont get much reward for their effort
  • its pretty hard, also the lack of sleep thing
  • civil engineers get the money and have the potential for management positions
some of the reasons pushing me towards architecture from civil:
  • supposedly many occupations can be reached from an architecture degree: architect, project manager... others that i cant remember. (in other words its a general degree suiting a mulitude of occupations, feel free to prove me wrong anyone)
  • i found that the general engineering student was pretty weird (i consider myself pretty normal) and as such i didnt make many mates during my first year, thus making it pretty gay. and as stated about architecture - "It has a relatively small cohort, so everyone gets to know each other pretty well. Everyone recognises each other, which is pretty cool. You get close really fast and make friends real fast. " sounds attractive
  • GIRLS! no girls in engo
as a last note, i know of quite a few blokes that didnt do 3U maths at school and still coped with first year. your obviously quite smart (looking at your uai) so dont let the maths put you off too much, its only like two subjects in first year. and yeah i've found civil pretty easy, much easier than highschool.

dont stress out too much, atleast you've narrowed your options down to two. plenty of people change after their first year. one year wasted really isnt much.

good luck in making your decision

HSC
daman said:
hey home boy. i had/am having the same troubles as you in decding between architecture and civil engineering, i even made a thread on BOS about it: http://community.boredofstudies.org/586/general-university-discussion/99166/architecture-vs-civil-engineering.html , which could help.

i also found this thread pretty informative: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=353193 . you may need to create an account and its probably worth it because its pretty comprehensive.

im probably gonna stick with civil engineering after learning/hearing more about architecture. some of reasons for this decision are:
  • its a very particular degree and you need to have a very particular interest for it
  • at the usyd open day i was told that only about 33% of students starting out at architecture actually finish the degree! very high drop out rate.
  • at the unsw open day a student said that although the degree is theoretically supposed to take 5-5.5 yrs it usually takes around 7yrs to complete, dunno why.
  • architects supposedly dont get much reward for their effort
  • its pretty hard, also the lack of sleep thing
  • civil engineers get the money and have the potential for management positions
some of the reasons pushing me towards architecture from civil:
  • supposedly many occupations can be reached from an architecture degree: architect, project manager... others that i cant remember. (in other words its a general degree suiting a mulitude of occupations, feel free to prove me wrong anyone)
  • i found that the general engineering student was pretty weird (i consider myself pretty normal) and as such i didnt make many mates during my first year, thus making it pretty gay. and as stated about architecture - "It has a relatively small cohort, so everyone gets to know each other pretty well. Everyone recognises each other, which is pretty cool. You get close really fast and make friends real fast. " sounds attractive
  • GIRLS! no girls in engo
as a last note, i know of quite a few blokes that didnt do 3U maths at school and still coped with first year. your obviously quite smart (looking at your uai) so dont let the maths put you off too much, its only like two subjects in first year. and yeah i've found civil pretty easy, much easier than highschool.

dont stress out too much, atleast you've narrowed your options down to two. plenty of people change after their first year. one year wasted really isnt much.

good luck in making your decision

Well I got home tonite and i was about 80% sure that I wanted to do Architecture. (havin chatted 2 a friend who was also plannin to do the same course as me and not goin for civil)
But after reading your post and a most of the threads that u showed me,
Im now back to sqaure one.
Especially what u quoted about Architecture taking around 7 years to fully get a degree. I also read that on the overclockers website. It takes around 7 years to be a fully accredirted architect!
- Now does anyone know if thats really the case? Coz 7 years is a hell of a time and u still end up gettin underpaid after that! (now i know u gotta enjoy wat ur doin, But u also want a half decent and financially rewardin career for all the work you do).

- Also just wanna know if i could cope with civil eng maths through-out all years. Coz I really dont wanna set myself up for a failure and struggle all the way through.

Daman after reading some of ur posts in the other thread, Jees I definetly relate to what yu went/goin through!
The only reason why I see architecture as the ideal course for me is because I consider myself more design oriented that mathematical n stuff.

But then again I dont wanna spend a lifetime studying at uni to become a practicing architect!!

IM CONFUSED

HSC
Musk said:
Well yh I had at look a that course ..
Its Not exactly a combined degree. Its just a civil engineering degree with a twist of architecture.
But I guess this would be my preffered civil eng course, if i dont end up choosing architecture. It would maybe keep my Architectural side satisfied for a while.
But its not exactly Architecture and Civil :-(

Last edited:

seeka_train

HSC
To become a registered architect, you have to graduate (5 years) and then have 2 years of work experience (2 years), therefore 7 years all together.

You become a registered architect once you pass an exam.

There are lots of people who finish uni and just get a job without the architect label. Whilst you may not get a great deal of money when you first graduate, the sum does improve with experience. Architecture is a career where the older you are, the more you earn (and you can earn a lot!).

But money isn't everything! Do what you enjoy.

It is true that there's a huge drop out rate, but so does engineering. Also, architects get more credit than the engineer when it comes to designing and building the buildings - how often do you hear people talk about the engineers?

There are management positions when doing architecture as well!

The most important thing in choosing your degree is figuring out what your interests are and what appeals to you. Don't think of money, drop out rates, being recognised for your work. If you choose something you like, you'll automatically enjoy it, and you'll get the rewards because you'll be doing something you enjoy and automatically do well in it.

xxPanDa

HSC
seeka_train said:
To become a registered architect, you have to graduate (5 years) and then have 2 years of work experience (2 years), therefore 7 years all together.

There are lots of people who finish uni and just get a job without the architect label. Whilst you may not get a great deal of money when you first graduate, the sum does improve with experience. Architecture is a career where the older you are, the more you earn (and you can earn a lot!).

But money isn't everything! Do what you enjoy.

It is true that there's a huge drop out rate, but so does engineering. Also, architects get more credit than the engineer when it comes to designing and building the buildings - how often do you hear people talk about the engineers?

There are management positions when doing architecture as well!

The most important thing in choosing your degree is figuring out what your interests are and what appeals to you. Don't think of money, drop out rates, being recognised for your work. If you choose something you like, you'll automatically enjoy it, and you'll get the rewards because you'll be doing something you enjoy and automatically do well in it.
keep talking about archi, i wana know moreeeee
i already chose it
now im just choosing from UNSW or USYD

why did u choose UNSW?

HSC
if u like architecture more than eng, you should do it. lol, did you watch Click? those ppl get paid a lot too. anyway, if you want to do civil eng, you better be damn passionate about structure of buildings, or else die from the shitload of math (not forgetting boredom too).

my dad is a civil eng, he's super passionate abt his work and career. how? when we go to shopping centres, he loves checking out the structure and commenting on it. he has his own small business and makes at least $300k a year. but he tells he the job responsibility is great!

HSC
seeka_train said:

Well can you get the 2 years experience during the completion of the Architecture course. Then maybe you'll be able to become a registered architect within 5.5 years or so ?
If not, then what all this talk about 18weeks experince and stuff during the course? That jst sounds pretty useless to me !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)