Architecture!!! (1 Viewer)

What Uni Are You Going To?

• Total voters

axie

HSC
N/A
Newcastle gives marks for each assignment.

Well I've finished my major assignment for the semester, a library. Certainly not a fun exercise, especially when it comes down to the last week and you need to put 15hrs+ a day in to get everything finished.

Submit on the Monday along with 70 other sleep deprived people, everything looks shiny and pretty. You start to feel good, you start to feel like you've done something you can be proud of ... Wednesday comes and the crits start. Doesn't matter how good your design is, you will get it shoved up your arse sideways by the panel, or experiance much worse if your design is lacking. Its a fun experiance waiting to present and watching people nearly in tears getting ripped to shreads, being told that their work is not of the standard required for third year and knowing with 100% certainty that their design absolutely owns yours. Go home, set fire to your model and panels then prepare to repeat the process again in a few weeks time.

Architecture is fun.

nafe

HSC
N/A
I'm in my final year of architecture at UTAS, and we're given marks in terms of a pass, credit, distinction or high distinction, with a few exceptions depending on what the assessment actually was. I reckon this is a good way of marking, cos if you really think about it, what's the difference between a 79 and an 80 in a design project? A CR+, or a HD- etc is a much better way of marking

And I totally agree with you axie, architecture fucking rocks. It's a great feeling being told your month of hard work and pride and joy is basically completely wrong! lol

Pierotte

HSC
Oh Architecture...

Ok this isnt totally relevant but I hd to post before i went nuts

Im very quietly sitting in the corner of a computer lab waiting for the clock to tick over to 12:50 as at 1:00 i have a meeting with one of my lecturers to argue/discuss WHY exactly I went SOOOO shit on my last assignment.

I was SO SO SO excited about a day ago, all like yeah! Im gonna argue this to the death! Im so pumped.

Re reading my assignment i can see all the fault... and well.. the fact that in about 20 minutes im going to be sitting in a room having my heart torn out and being told how shit i am.. Uh.. CRUSHING!

Help

I dont think im gonna make it.

fuck.

My and my big mouth.

Pierotte

HSC
*sigh*

Ok, yeah it went.. "well"

I worked out where i went "wrong"

Its all good

He didnt try to convince me to leave the course

He said hes lookin forward to seeing my next assignment as I have potential

But basically i have potential if i change everything i do.

I thought i was all good, i was all class right throughout the meeting, all understanding, when i argued the points were valid, he took them on board.

Then as soon as i left i freaking lost it.

God damn.

Bathroom for a good 25 mins just balling my eyes out.. fucking hell im weak.

Hence the reason im on a computer, just letting my face de-puff before i go meet up with my friends.

But.. its like HOW can i be doing a course where they HATE my writing style? Where they think it too animated and "excited" , where they find that such a BAD BAD BAD thing?

HOW can i be doing a course where they dont understand any of the poetic licence in my essays?
Dont get my style.
Dont like it

How can i do a course that expects my research to be so dry
That doesnt like experimenting with ideas
That only wants to hear a 40 yr old males point of view backed up my the research of a 60 year old male without adding any flair of my own, without adding my own opinion, without having any pizzaz?

How can i last 5 years of something that is so damn pretentious.

How can i do a course where the only way im going to get good marks is if i give them exactly what they want?
Where the only right way is there way?
That forces me to give up my own views and opinions, my own writing style that has always worked so well for me, GIVE UP ME essentially.

It wasnt supposed to be a personal attack.. but it was.
I pride my self on my written expression in essays.. theyve always been "original" and "fresh" .. always been "exciting" and "non-conformist"
Yeah, they still are all of these things apperently. But when in highschool that was awsome, its now something i have to "tone down, and give up"

My essays are me. Theyre my personality in words.

Maybe im in the wrong course

If i feel so fucking strongly about it maybe i should be doing an english course, creative writing, ARTS...

Maybe i should just join a debating team and get it all out of my system

Maybe i should just quit.

Crushed and defeated.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Pierotte said:
He said hes lookin forward to seeing my next assignment as I have potential

How can i do a course where the only way im going to get good marks is if i give them exactly what they want?

Don't give up :)

Pierotte

HSC
*e-hugs right round*

haha yes cheesy.. but yeah.. thnx

Ur simple little comments actually made me feel better

Am i that fickle?

Yup.

Myabe when i "quit" BOS ill just like come back and limit my self to this thread.

Good for the soul and all that. AND USEFUL!

nafe

HSC
N/A
Overcoming the single minded, biased motherfuckers who 'teach' architecture is one of the hardest things to do in the course, it hasn't got one of the highest drop out rates for no reason. It all really depends on where you study and who your lecturers are, but you'll be lucky to find any impartial and neutral lecturers or tutors. Most of the time you just have to make a compromise, or simply justify yourself so well and be so thorough that they haven't got a chance to bring you down.

If you really do love architecture, and it sounds like you do, just stick with it and do your best. Don't give up that easily :D

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
haha dont give up pie...

just get used to it... from the three assessments ive gotten back ive had a D, C and P. And the P was the design assignment which by far i put the most effort into

basically everything is so subjective... we had no criteria whatsoever, they even said 'theres no wrong or right', yet when i presented mine they completely owned me and hated it. suposedly i went off and did my own thing... but i dont see what wrong with that if there was no criteria :\ ... it was like if they just didnt like it, you got owned. so confusing, and at times heart breaking :eek:

anywho, thing which ive found works best is ... find out who the fuck is marking your work, find out exactly what they want... then do it. :p it may sound (and pretty much is) shit. but im willing to not get my own way for a while if its gunna get me marks. :)

even with all this shit ... i really really love architecture :)

booyahhhhh! <3

dont quit teh archi club, fool! :)

Pierotte

HSC
Oh oh oh all my little architects this is the thread i will miss the most

add me to msn

silly_siemen@hotmail.com

And we can bitch about architecture all night long.

God knows i have alot of bitching to do!

sh3zz

HSC
So i gathered that Architecture has wayy more workload at Uni than other courses.. (30 sub topics compared with approx 20 topics or less in other courses?)

just one question: There're heaps of uniz offering architecture, but the titles u get are different?
e.g. Sydney has Bachelor of Design in Architecture (3 yrs) AND Bachelor of Architecture (2 yrs)
UWS(?) has Bachelor of Applied Science in Architecture AND Bachelor of Architecture
whereas UNSW has Bachelor of Architecture(5 years)

why are they different? if i studied at USYD and did design in architecture.. does it mean i will miss out on the things they learn at UWS for applied science?

cyko

HSC
applied science in arch .. u can't become a registered arch in degree with that course.

UTS and USYD have 2-parts in their architecture degree. The reason why they have two parts is because the 1st part is generally the designing part of architecture, exploring the designing concept, and to an extent, it gives you the option of changing courses to other design areas if wish. The 2nd part i suppose then focuses on architecture more in detail.

UNSW on the other has just the 5 year degree, B Architecture, they go right into architecture, along with design, etc. etc.

GO UTS MATE, lol join me. ahahaha

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
cyko said:
applied science in arch .. u can't become a registered arch in degree with that course.

UTS and USYD have 2-parts in their architecture degree. The reason why they have two parts is because the 1st part is generally the designing part of architecture, exploring the designing concept, and to an extent, it gives you the option of changing courses to other design areas if wish. The 2nd part i suppose then focuses on architecture more in detail.

UNSW on the other has just the 5 year degree, B Architecture, they go right into architecture, along with design, etc. etc.

GO UTS MATE, lol join me. ahahaha
haha, who are you cyko!?>?!@$ you must identify yourself next semester...

and yeah... i really dont think it makes ALL that much difference in the end where you do it. but so far im quite enjoying uts :)

Pierotte

HSC
sh3zz said:
So i gathered that Architecture has wayy more workload at Uni than other courses.. (30 sub topics compared with approx 20 topics or less in other courses?)

just one question: There're heaps of uniz offering architecture, but the titles u get are different?
e.g. Sydney has Bachelor of Design in Architecture (3 yrs) AND Bachelor of Architecture (2 yrs)
UWS(?) has Bachelor of Applied Science in Architecture AND Bachelor of Architecture
whereas UNSW has Bachelor of Architecture(5 years)

why are they different? if i studied at USYD and did design in architecture.. does it mean i will miss out on the things they learn at UWS for applied science?

Yes.. its a shitload of work. sometimes it hurts. if you like your sleep RUN RUN RUN far far far away!

Theres arent heaps of Unis that do Arch. in NSW there are 4.

The simple difference?

UTS and Usyd have 3 years of a design based course. This is good if youre not sure if architecture is the proffesion for you.

UNSW throws you straight into an Architectural degree.

Applied scince at UWS? Um as far as i know, yes you will miss out... but does that matter if your training to be an acrhitect?

Science Arch is computer based. Its lame. Everyone i know doing it is doing it in the hope that they can transfer to BArch. Stay away unless if you have a passion for computer based design. It is in no way architecture.

I just posted a HUUUUGE rant in an architecture vs Interior design thread, i dish the dirt. Check it out.

Oh, and i would honestly reccomed UNSW. Not only because i go here, but it is kicking arse at the moment. Its balanced, its practical, at the moment i <3 it muchly.
Not fussed on UNSW? Go to UTS.
I seriously have not heard one good thing about Usyd besides the library.
Ive heard newcastle is great if you like the technical side of things.

axie

HSC
N/A
Pierotte said:
Ive heard newcastle is great if you like the technical side of things.
I've watched Newcastle go from one of top architecture schools in the country, to, in my opinion, being the worst. Tute groups have doubled in size (17 - 20 people for a design tute DOES NOT WORK), support staff have disapeared, the move away from problem based learning to standard teaching methods, lack funding for tours etc ... students are suddenly paying for the uni's poor financial management over the last decade.

However, the school has recently employed Steffen Lehmann from one of the Queensland unis. This guy seriously knows his shit, either he will turn the school completely around, or get fed up with the lack of funding and leave within 12 months.

Last edited:

HSC&ME=NOLIFE

HSC
hey all you architecture lovers ... can anyone give me some feedback on one of my models i made for my visual arts bow? its a large scale house perched on the side of a cliff. the pics i can show u are of inside the house and i also did others if you want to c...
i just wanted to ghet more of a professional opinion.

thanks
oh im so stupid...
you have to go here ;http://brycesnicepage.blogspot.com/

xxPanDa

HSC
sorry i already asked this in another part of the forum, but they dont seem to be repplying

looking at the low pays of architects..
i was wondering if u could become one of those senoir executies, directors of archi firms?
or do u need to do some commerce degree to be at management levels?
do u need specific degrees/B for management jobs?

i heard construction management gives good pay, could i somehow sub major in it? and therefore get more money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)