• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Architecture (2 Viewers)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
civil is more abt. building the structure itself, and what material ur gonna use, etc. etc.... but in architecture, it is just abt. design of the building as in how its gonna look and stuff. :S
er, actually it's not
architecture is about the design of the building, as well as the structural/construction (including materials, costs, stablitiy, safety etc) aspects of a building/construction, in fact the architect is in charge of the whole complex process

civil engineering is more about the actual engineering of things like bridges, public systems (such as transport, piping, etc).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
er, actually it's not
architecture is about the design of the building, as well as the structural/construction (including materials, costs, stablitiy, safety etc) aspects of a building/construction, in fact the architect is in charge of the whole complex process

civil engineering is more about the actual engineering of things like bridges, public systems (such as transport, piping, etc).
well, so whats the difference then?? :confused:

MoNNiE

HSC
architecture does pretty drawings and engineering does the maths
true fact actually

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by MoNNiE
architecture does pretty drawings and engineering does the maths
true fact actually
no offence but do you really know what you're talking about
im an architecture student and i can tell you for sure that architecture isnt just about 'pretty drawings'.

well, so whats the difference then?? :confused:
dude did you even read what i wrote..? civil engineering is esentially an engineer, and they design and construct things like bridges, ramps, roads, other shit. architects design buildings and constructions.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...dude did you even read what i wrote..? civil engineering is esentially an engineer, and they design and construct things like bridges, ramps, roads, other shit. architects design buildings and constructions.
so basically ur saying that architects are the "civil engineers" for buildings and constructions?? i.e both of them seem "design and construct" something, hence whats the difference? :S

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
do you have to do maths in architecture?
when i looked at the course outline for architecture there was no maths subjects
where as engineering there was 2 core maths subjects
also enginering is 4 years
architecture is 5.5 years
but still i wanna know wat is the difference !!! hahah

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, so basically architects are ppl. who are interested more in how the building looks and stuff, whilst civil engineers are more down to the earth type of ppl. who just look at how they are gonna construct the building and stuff.. :S

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
so basically ur saying that architects are the "civil engineers" for buildings and constructions?? i.e both of them seem "design and construct" something, hence whats the difference? :S
ok i can understand where you're coming from, my apologies. but there is (or should be) a lot more creativity in architecture. engineering is a more technical ..thing. okay, another way to look at it is a civil engineer would work for an architect. the architect designs everything and they hire civil engineers, interior designers, plumbers, electricians etc to do specifics.

Originally posted by Dingo2004
do you have to do maths in architecture?
when i looked at the course outline for architecture there was no maths subjects
where as engineering there was 2 core maths subjects
also enginering is 4 years
architecture is 5.5 years
but still i wanna know wat is the difference !!! hahah
there is maths in terms of dimensions and simple trigonometric calculations but no hardcore maths like engineering.

architecture=design art
engineering=technical art
..big difference

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
ok i can understand where you're coming from, my apologies. but there is (or should be) a lot more creativity in architecture. engineering is a more technical ..thing. okay, another way to look at it is a civil engineer would work for an architect. the architect designs everything and they hire civil engineers, interior designers, plumbers, electricians etc to do specifics.

there is maths in terms of dimensions and simple trigonometric calculations but no hardcore maths like engineering.

architecture=design art
engineering=technical art
..big difference
uhuh, thats what i was emphasising, the architect knows a bit about building and stuff...but he uses this to design his art work...and yeah, civil engineers are there to make calculations to carry out the design- for eg. working out how much concrete is needed for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)