Architecture (1 Viewer)

simmic

red-headed tensai
HSC
Originally posted by pri
hang on...u went to my high school and now in my course at uni....who are u?
hehe i know who you are

we sat together in ext english remember...yeh so bored at the moment and trying to avoid doing work so hanging out in forums. no other first yr architects here

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
hey pri.. you ended up doing architecture
how do you like it?
its fantastic! I reckon i picked the right degree, its not as mathsy as i thought it would be given that there are 2 whole 7 hour days devoted to design practise.

texta

i'm thinking about doing architecture next year.. but still tossing up between uts and sydney.

are you guys happy with the course and sydney? coz i read in some uni guide that out of all the uni's offering architecture, sydney had one of the lowest satisfaction percentages... so any feedback would be appreciated!

also, do you need like any background knowledge on architecture or anything? coz i didnt do art in senior high but i really love it.. but i dont know if i'd be any good at designing.. and designing buildings is a whole new challenge? were you guys drawing sketches of ideas before you got to uni? or was it all new for you too?

miffytoki

HSC
i've put down architechture as one of my preferences too:) i do art..but i have no CAD background....is it necessary?

pri

HSC
N/A
nobody ever knows what they are doing,
i only had art as my background and no idea what CAD meant till i entered, and Im doing fine.

Its not an easy course, but it is rewarding when things go your way. I picked it two weeks after the HSC got over after 2 years of wanting to do psych, y? because I realised architecture was more practical and more fun, or thats what i thought. I was right, and the gamble was well worth it.

Just go in with an open mind and full wallet, thats all you really need.

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
Yay! I do Design Computing which is part of the arch faculty and isnt really related to it, but I'm doing CAD and doing like plans of halls and stuff and =s I had no experience with it before so yes. YAY! I'm in class and am bored. I will go now.

miffytoki

HSC
haha in class....don't u ppl have work to do? BTW just curious...how much maths do u do?

simmic

red-headed tensai
HSC
not much maths...and the little bit of maths we have is all pretty simple

i went into the course with no background knowledge and is doing ok. There is quite a bit of workload so you really have to enjoy architecture and designing

norayla

ok.. so should i apply for it??
wats the female/male ratio?? coz in IT its very strange!!
and is it fun.. do you guys enjoy being there or is it a waste of time mostly??!!
does any of you skip lectures and stuff???!!

pri

HSC
N/A
eneleon said:
Yay! I do Design Computing which is part of the arch faculty and isnt really related to it, but I'm doing CAD and doing like plans of halls and stuff and =s I had no experience with it before so yes. YAY! I'm in class and am bored. I will go now.
ha, yes, so are u in cad modelling (DECO 1003)? thats what I do as one of my classes.

its sooooo boring in lectures , but vaguely interesting in tutes

pri

HSC
N/A
norayla said:
ok.. so should i apply for it??
wats the female/male ratio?? coz in IT its very strange!!
and is it fun.. do you guys enjoy being there or is it a waste of time mostly??!!
does any of you skip lectures and stuff???!!

its pretty much even in m/f ratio, nothing tooo noticeable.

the degree is fun but lectures can be tedios. skipping them would be fatal as they go through a lot of info in one lecture and self learning can be a bastard

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
pri said:
ha, yes, so are u in cad modelling (DECO 1003)? thats what I do as one of my classes.

its sooooo boring in lectures , but vaguely interesting in tutes
Yes. 1003. :vcross: I HATE THE TUTES, its such a bad way of assessing us. Its like, three of them to tutor the twenty million of us. Anyway. Yes. And then we stay till its dark and some of us have to get home before dark but I guess its not as bad now that there is still light at six.

*sigh* Thats my rant for today.

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
= )

hey guys,
ive had my heart set on UOS architecture for a solid year now, but lately was looking into it at UNSW... any arguments for UOS? lol.

wat do u guys enjoy most about the course??

jonathan.

woogie

HSC
flip_flop said:
hey guys,
ive had my heart set on UOS architecture for a solid year now, but lately was looking into it at UNSW... any arguments for UOS? lol.

jonathan.

getting a bad critique and bad mark after months of hard work

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
woogie said:
getting a bad critique and bad mark after months of hard work
Staying up all night three nights in a row and having your design glanced over for 1 minute before being given a de-moralising critique of your 'shit'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm hopefully doing architecture next year....
Mainly because i enjoy design & have worked in 3d programs etc so hopefully that'll give me a fair bit of a background into programs like Auto CAD?

pri

HSC
N/A
johnson said:
Staying up all night three nights in a row and having your design glanced over for 1 minute before being given a de-moralising critique of your 'shit'
welcome to my world! omg, thats exactly what i got, cept try 2 weeks of 3 hours a nigh sleep

this is why im transferring to COFA's Bachelor of design (logic clearly prevails that choice)

pri

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm hopefully doing architecture next year....
Mainly because i enjoy design & have worked in 3d programs etc so hopefully that'll give me a fair bit of a background into programs like Auto CAD?
hate to burst ur bubble but autocad and 3D arent really friends. autocad is more a 2d drawing program (with annoyingly hard 3D capabilities) which simulates what u would do by hand on a drafting table.

3ds max , archicad, and microstation are more 3D friendly, autocad is more widely used unfortunately, even though microstation is much easier to use and better program.

sketchup 3D is my fav program however...fantastic for concept drawings and for mockup final drawings.

pri

HSC
N/A
flip_flop said:
hey guys,

jonathan.
hmm....u make friends very very very easily and very good friends too as ur always with em. Im at usyd so I cant speak for unsw.

if ur developed in ur processes of designing and mature in thought, well read and independant then usyd is good. U also in general have to have a thick skin because critiques can appear to be harsh (esp when uve had hardly any rest and worked ur ass off for a design)

the tutors are architects themselves so are on occasion forgetful of ur work, and very busy. most have an interest in architecture and the younger ones usually were the brightest pupils when they were in uni.

lectures are boring as hell but unmissable in my opinion as work piles up and u really need to hear the info as there are no textbooks and ud be lucky to get notes. but i spose thats the case in most unis where lecturers are very uninspiring. Though we do get inspiring ones on occasion who come from industry.

its very full on in terms of hours. i had wednesdays off but the rest were 10-5 on mondays and tuesdays, 9-5 on thursdays and 9-1 on fridays coz of how my electives panned out. the workload is like a bell curve...nothin at the beginning, then slowly rises, then fuckingly huge and impossible, then dribbles to nothing as we dont get exams (or maybe one or two)

thats all i can say really...dunno how convincing that was, im leaving anyways as architecture is not really what i want to design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)