archiving / backing up lots of file? (help needed) (1 Viewer)

stayfly

HSC
hey guys,

i'm in the process of clearing my hard drive and what I've been doing is sorting the files into some type of order and then burning them as a data dvd

my question is, as I will probably want to go back and find some of these files in the future and instead of searching through 10 or 20 dvds in the hope of finding it, there some type of softwrae than can keep a record of all the files on each data dvd?

thanks!!

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You should probably go and buy yourself an external hard drive. It would make it a lot easier.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
stayfly said:
hey guys,

i'm in the process of clearing my hard drive and what I've been doing is sorting the files into some type of order and then burning them as a data dvd

my question is, as I will probably want to go back and find some of these files in the future and instead of searching through 10 or 20 dvds in the hope of finding it, there some type of softwrae than can keep a record of all the files on each data dvd?

thanks!!
Can't think of anything other than something simple like writting on the dics (as long as you can cover everything on there; ABC.avi, Music Videos, etc.) or numbering them and keep a word document.

stayfly

HSC
thanks for the help guys

i found a program that does what i need (freeware)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/File-CD-DVD-Catalog/Visual-CD.shtml

Visual CD description
Download
Visual CD is a disk cataloging tool to index data floppy disks, hard drives, CDs, and folders.

Once indexed, you can explore the CD catalogs, search files and folders without having the physical disk in the drive.

A built-in favorites manager allows you to easily manage multiple catalogs, and a powerful search feature lets you search across multiple catalogs.

The program comes with several additional options, you can split files into smaller pieces, extract ZIP, RAR and CAB archives, rename files, copy the entire CD to a new location and more.

Visual CD provides a clean and attractive interface and optional Explorer integration from the right click menu.

Here are some key features of "Visual CD":

· Fast recording, loading and searching
· Very small catalog file
· Tight integration with Windows Explorer
· Ability to save directory structure to Text Document
· Ability to export catalog to HTML Document, Microsoft Excel File, Rich Text Format and Text Document
· Moving, copying, renaming, and deleting catalog without leaving Visual CD
· Support Windows XP Visual Style
· Support ZIP, RAR and CAB archive format
· Support MP3 ID3v1 and ID3v2 Tag
· Advanced Search
· Favorites Manager
· MP3 Playlist Generator
· Advanced Rename
· Duplicated Files Finder
· File Splitter
· NFO Reader
· Thumbnail Maker

What's New in This Release:

· > New Catalog Format (VCAT3)
· + Thumbnails (images, icons, and executables)
· + Catalog password protection
· + Auto index upon insertion of disc
· + Volume Label (editable)
· + Configuration dialog
· + Favorites : Volume and Description field
· ^ Options menu
· ^ Toolbar assignment
· ~ Editing comment in Add Comment function
· ~ Save Find In options on Find tab
· ! Fixed : Command-line issue
· ! Fixed : minor bugs

gtvwill

HSC
where is it? and yes that is the name of a program, use it to create a database of whats on each DVD and u can just go back to it when ever you need to.

stayfly

HSC
Visual CD 2.0 shoudl be downloadable form here; [SIZE=-1]boozet.xepher.net/viscd/download.htm

also, is 4x still the best speed to burn backup DVDs or has it cahnged these days?

[/SIZE]

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I've -never- had any corruption issues when burning anything (CD or DVD) at full speed.

stayfly

HSC
Dumsum said:
I've -never- had any corruption issues when burning anything (CD or DVD) at full speed.
cool, that's good to know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)