Are certain alternative pathways preferred over others by unis? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I missed the ATAR cut-offs for a course, would the uni prefer I do a different course in their uni, at another uni or doing a tafe course?
Do unis tend to pick students on certain pathways over others?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Either way.

Just do the a similar course at a different uni with a lower cutoff, get at least Distinction average (just to be safe) and you should be eligible for a transfer.

Machination

HSC
Yeah I also have a similar problem. I would like to get into UTS or UNSW to study Business/Commerce. But my ATAR is around 55-60 which doesn't allow me to take any courses in those 2 universities.

My options are similar to your one: (After doing a bit of research)
- Go to UWS or a Business degree in a university which fits my ATAR and then just transfer (like what sirable said)
- Try to get in to UNSW Prep (17-19) and get the scores needed to get into Commerce
- Tafe or College, then try to get into the course (Not really sure how this would work)

HSC
Would getting good grades in an unrelated course at a different uni still allow me to transfer to the course I want?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, they only care about how well you went, not so much of what you units you've studied.

Start off at UWS, then get Distinction average throughout the year, and it should be competitive enough for UNSW and USYD Commerce. Credit average should be enough to get into Macquarie Commerce or UTS Business.

Last edited:

Ikki

HSC
For Commerce at UNSW, you need a distinction average as a minimum to transfer (generally), and yes, it is much easier to transfer internally than externally. UNSW has a program called - IPT - Internal Program Transfer. Depending on your specific uni though the cutoff might be higher since in some uni's it is easier to get higher averages.

In terms of generally, please make sure you cannot get in via Bonus Points (UNSW esp.) or disadvantaged scheme or something before going for the above or below. There are many ways people get extra bonus points (e.g. 1 for school captain, something for olympiad/sports).

It is always better to do similar degrees so that you end up doing similar courses and hence are using your time most efficiently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)