are colour vision deficient students eligible to apply for med (1 Viewer)

onnie

HSC
hey,

i'm a student from fort street and applying for medicine in UNSW. i am colour blind ( colour vision deficient). not black and white colour blind...but i cant distinguish some shades of red, green and purple. i just want to ask whether i am still eligible to apply for medicine.

thanx

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think u can...
but ure limited to certain fields and ud still need to be assessed by faculty...

and counselled

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I wonder if you're one of the people who went to my talk last week? :)

Anyway, you are certainly still eligible to apply. You would certainly need to contact the faculty about it though, as this impairment would impose some limitations on your practice of medicine (as Alvin said, it would preclude you from some fields but not others).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
Hmm I wonder if you're one of the people who went to my talk last week? :)

Anyway, you are certainly still eligible to apply. You would certainly need to contact the faculty about it though, as this impairment would impose some limitations on your practice of medicine (as Alvin said, it would preclude you from some fields but not others).
I'm just curious, what kinda specialties would you be precluded from with colour blindness?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I honestly can't say I know. Obviously things like pathology (where the ability to distinguish subtle differences in histological tests is crucial) but perhaps other less obvious fields. Every day the field becomes more and more complex, and yet at the same time we develop new techniques to make practice both easier and more accessible (in the same way that people are finding ways to help hearing impaired people find work).

onnie

HSC
yeah..i did...i forgot to ask that time....oh yeah...how would i apply for dentistry...erm...i'm just seeing what other options there are to do in uni...

how would i contact the faculty.....or can i just state in the form that i am colour blind.....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
onnie said:
yeah..i did...i forgot to ask that time....oh yeah...how would i apply for dentistry...erm...i'm just seeing what other options there are to do in uni...

how would i contact the faculty.....or can i just state in the form that i am colour blind.....
For UNSW? Just write it on the form in the part that asks for anything that you know of which may impair your ability to practice. Remember, it doesn't necessarily mean that what you write WILL cause problems, just that they MIGHT. When they see that they will contact you (assuming you receive an interview etc) and talk to you about it.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ummm some of the lab testin tubes might get u confused lolz.. but i dun remember any green/red ones..

god it sucks being male some days...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i was thinkin haemophilia...
yes ok.. but how do u kno a males life is easier? :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Do you have to put up with violent mood swings every month? Do you have to put up with abdominal cramps every month? Do you need to put up with playing a constant social game of bitching and backstabbing?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
technically the 1st 2 things are the consequence of the same thing..
and its not limited to just tat.. so no i cant feel lik u..

unless i was bipolar and had gastro.. true its a fair assumption..

i guess men just put up with the whole society's expectation to be masculine... lacking empathy and not having any problems at all..
actualli pump enough testosterone in ureself and ull feel violent edgy and quite angry.. no as much fun as it seems

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If this thread turns into a males vs females who has the harder life debate I will lock it, delete the posts and negrep every one of you.

Take it to L+R where it belongs. :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes sir!..
its ok.. i kno women hav their stuff and men their own..
they are unique and unquantifiable :)

i was shitty tat day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)