Are my UNITS/SUBJECTS okay for the ATAR I want to achieve?? [Year 12] (1 Viewer)

curiouscat98

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I'm freaking out and need advice..

(School ranking is okay, I think about 60-80?)

In year 11 I had the following subjects:
English Adv (2 unit)
English Ext 1 (1 unit)
Maths (2 unit)
Biology (2 unit)
Chemistry (2 unit)
Economics (2 unit) [dropped]
Unit total: 11

In year 12 I have the following subjects:
English Adv (2 unit) Current rank about 30/200-ish
English Ext 1 (1 unit) Current rank unknown (predicting middle ranking)
English Ext 2 (1 unit) Current 2/25-ish
Maths (2 unit) Current rank unknown (doing okay, not that good though...)
Biology (2 unit) Current rank unknown (assuming about top 1/3rd of cohort)
Chemistry (2 unit) Current rank unknown (assuming about top 1/3rd of cohort)
[I also completed an accelerated Aboriginal Studies (2 unit) HSC course in year 11 (Mark of 89 - I know, I know, it sucks :( - hoping I do better in my current subjects & it's not counted)]
Unit total (incl accelerated): 12 (but only completing 10 this year)

I'm aiming for an ATAR +95 (but lets be honest, 99.95 wouldn't hurt either)... so, is this achievable with the subjects & ranks I have?
Have I completely screwed up by dropping Economics and only having 10 units I have the ability to change??
What happens if I do really well in English Ext 2 but not that great in English Ext 1??
Because EE2 is only 1 unit, what happens if it is my best subject?
How will they count 1 unit in my ATAR when adding it up (eg if they don't include EE1)?

Argh, so many questions~! Thank you to anyone who answers though... really appreciate it :) <3

curiouscat98

HSC
N/A
They're more than OK, relax.
Thanks haha. I think the Yeats essays are really starting to get to my head.
---
Do you know what would happen if I did really well in Extension 2 but not as well in Extension 1, ie if it was my worst subject (with them each being only 1 unit)?

Would my counted atar end up as:
- Ext 2
- The rest of my subjects.
and then EE1 not included in my final atar? (because wouldn't be counted units then be an odd number, like 9 or 11? How would that even work?)

or would it be:
- Ext 2
- Ext 1 because ee2 is only 1 unit
- The rest of my counted subjects.
and then one of my 2 unit subjects (the lowest marked) not included in my final atar (making it an even number of units, 10)?

Thanks! :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Thanks haha. I think the Yeats essays are really starting to get to my head.
---
Do you know what would happen if I did really well in Extension 2 but not as well in Extension 1, ie if it was my worst subject (with them each being only 1 unit)?

Would my counted atar end up as:
- Ext 2
- The rest of my subjects.
and then EE1 not included in my final atar? (because wouldn't be counted units then be an odd number, like 9 or 11? How would that even work?)

or would it be:
- Ext 2
- Ext 1 because ee2 is only 1 unit
- The rest of my counted subjects.
and then one of my 2 unit subjects (the lowest marked) not included in my final atar (making it an even number of units, 10)?

Thanks! :)
Just to let you know with how english works 2 units must always count so basically you could go well in your advance and thats the end of the story... but seeing as though you did 12 what is a possibility that your english advanced marks count, all your other subjects count all the way up to 9 units (counting half of one full subject like chemistry), and then your ext 2 english counts to get you to 10 units.

So yes, it's possible to not have your ext 1 english mark count but thats considering you go horribly in that and really good in the others.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)