Are Past Paper Booklets + Recapping knowledge on topics part and parcel of studying? (1 Viewer)

Mannilie

HSC
Hello All,
I just have a really quick question about General Mathematics. I have a real severe case of pre-forgetful jitters when it comes to General Mathematics examinations. The highest I have ever gotten in General Mathematics was in year 11: 65/100 (In Year 12 it's 50/100, so basically a pass). What I mean by these "jitters" is that, I have the knowledge of all aspects of the syllabus but... for some reason, it's buried deep within my brain where the amygdala (Medical Jargon) can't find it... Anyways, it's not that big of an issue.

However, in order to counteract the symptoms of forgetfulness upon exam time, I need to figure out a better way to study. Here is where my question lies within this thread (Note: sorry for all the language techniques, I'm practicing for English and multi-tasking): Can I study using, not only the Past Paper booklets but also by recapping areas that help boost my knowledge so I can process things faster during the exam?

I found that when I am in a General Mathematics exam, I tend to lose my **** if you know what I mean? I get so frustrated because of something so simple I haven't recapped before entering the exam room.

Here's what I mean by Recapping:
When I recap, it might be different to your's but, I go over all of the topics and simply write all of the equations/formulas and link it to that Mathematical principle (i.e, Algebra, Sine Rule, Cosine Rule etc...) THIS DOES NOT WORK! I bet you were all thinking that as well... Is there a way I can do the same type of study and be able to remember it? If so, please let me know, I am desperate for new ways to study other than mine as my condition doesn't allow me to benefit from "easy reading".

Thank you,
Manny.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Are Past Paper Booklets + Recapping knowledge on topics part and parcel of studyi

Rule of thumb in Maths: notes and memorising doesn't really work. The more questions you do, then the better you will get.

I don't do general maths so that is all I can really tell you from the higher levels of maths.

I still may be wrong in your context.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Re: Are Past Paper Booklets + Recapping knowledge on topics part and parcel of studyi

Expose yourself to HSC questions by doing past papers

The way I remember formulas is repetition then do some questions to apply the formula (eg. sine rule, do some questions on it in the textbook or something)

"Here is where my question lies within this thread (Note: sorry for all the language techniques, I'm practicing for English and multi-tasking[multi-tasking reduces short-term memory]): Can I study using, not only the Past Paper booklets but also by recapping areas that help boost my knowledge so I can process things faster during the exam? [yeh i guess so, like anomalousdecay said above, you need to practice]

I found that when I am in a General Mathematics exam, I tend to lose my **** if you know what I mean? I get so frustrated because of something so simple I haven't recapped before entering the exam room. "[u have to study consistently]

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Expose yourself to HSC questions by doing past papers

The way I remember formulas is repetition then do some questions to apply the formula (eg. sine rule, do some questions on it in the textbook or something)

"Here is where my question lies within this thread (Note: sorry for all the language techniques, I'm practicing for English and multi-tasking[multi-tasking reduces short-term memory]): Can I study using, not only the Past Paper booklets but also by recapping areas that help boost my knowledge so I can process things faster during the exam? [yeh i guess so, like anomalousdecay said above, you need to practice]

I found that when I am in a General Mathematics exam, I tend to lose my **** if you know what I mean? I get so frustrated because of something so simple I haven't recapped before entering the exam room. "[u have to study consistently]
This is pretty much right. This close to the HSC it is worth just doing HSC past paper questions instead of textbook work.

By the way Manny, you should be doing special provisions for HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)