are people who are ambidextrous, smarter? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i remember someone telling me that ambidextrous people tend to have a higher IQ, can someone tell me whether this is true? can you improve your intelligence if you start to use your 'less-used' hand more often? and please tell me your sources... :)

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: are people who are both handed tend to be smarter?

serenetwilight said:
i remember someone telling me that ambidextrous people tend to have a higher IQ, can someone tell me whether this is true? can you improve your intelligence if you start to use your 'less-used' hand more often? and please tell me your sources... :)
I'm guessing that using both hands will stimulate both sides of the brain, thus more efficiency or something similar.

Interesting discussion here: http://iq.lycos.co.uk/qa/show/34406/why+are+left+handed+people+suppossed+to+be+smarter+than+right+handed+people%3F

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed

Last edited:
HSC

wahaha. perhaps ambidextrous people tend to look at things from a different perspective..since they are capable of controlling both their right and left brain, and therefore regarded as 'smarter'. It's not like jugglers are the world's smartest people^_^''I don't think learning to be ambidextrous deliberately would affect your intelligence greatly. because it's hard work which is way more important =]

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

superelizabeth said:
ANNE! IS THIS YOU??!!! lol
Yep.

Hard work helps you achieve in life, but it does not necessarily make you more intelligent.

Wikipedia said:
Intelligence (also called intellect) is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom. However, most psychologists prefer not to include these traits in the definition of intelligence.
Yes, you can work hard, but genes are a major factor. (I think.)

HSC

i am a fairly good piece of evidence to demonstrate that this theory is full of shit

u-borat

Banned
HSC

i write normally with my left hand, can write semi-okayish with my right hand, i kick a ball with my right foot, dribble a basketball with my left hand predominantly but shoot right handed, bat and bowl with left hand in cricket and play tennis right handed.

im rather fucked up.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

u-borat said:
i write normally with my left hand, can write semi-okayish with my right hand, i kick a ball with my right foot, dribble a basketball with my left hand predominantly but shoot right handed, bat and bowl with left hand in cricket and play tennis right handed.

im rather fucked up.
Me too :)

Leftie for writing/drawing and rightie for most other things O_O;

Maybe because they make everything for right-handed people.

Oh well, these skills come in handy for typing and piano :D

sirfeathers

HSC

One of my aunts had a brain tumour when she was about 10, the operation that removed it did something to the part of her brain which controls the left side of her body. She can still walk and pick up things etc, but lost use of fine-motor skills(eg. no more cello playing). She was originally left-handed, had to spend a few years relearning how to do everything right-handed. And she's one of the smartest people I know - dux of her highschool, topped all her subjects except one, excelled at university, high-paying govt job now yadder yadder.
Not that that's proof or anything, but still interesting.

em_516

bludging..
HSC

Love the title of this thread. :D

LAmey08

HSC

No way, I'm ambidextrous and I'm average.

hairspray

HSC

I don't think that they're particularly smarter but from experience they are rather more indecisive!

HSC
Uni Grad

It depends if it's natural or experience. Mostly, experience is what makes people ambidextrous. There are very few occurences where people are naturally both-handed. If it's natural, it means that the brain is stimulated on both sides. If it's experience, it's just that you've used it so many times that your brain recognises the path way and just knows how to do it.

I reckon it's cool though! I wanna be ambidextrous!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

serenetwilight said:

left handed people tend to be smarter than right handed people.

but then again, that might be because lefties are 10% of the population, and us righties are stuck with the idiots.

inter108

HSC

katietheskatie said:
i am a fairly good piece of evidence to demonstrate that this theory is full of shit
I agree it's total BS

neeksy45

HSC

i write and cut with my left hand, but use my knife and fork like a right hander.
i kick with my right foot, bat with my right hand and bowl with my left, play tennis with left hand,play golf right handed, throw balls with my left, and i alternate when i do high jump from left to right. haha it gets confusing remembering what i need.

studentcheese

HSC

Ambidextrous kids are usually equally good at Maths and English. This is because they can use both right and left hand side of their brain well... Just a theory I heard somewhere, dunno if it's true.

~Natalie:)~

HSC

well I do just about nothing with my right hand except write and I'm definately not more intelligent because of it. Everything is done the left handed way besides writing and I am nothing more than of average intelligence.

So its probably not true.

charbler

Banned
HSC

Well for the next few weeks I'm going to use my left hand predominantly until I become smart.

boris

Banned
HSC

~Natalie:)~ said:
well I do just about nothing with my right hand except write and I'm definately not more intelligent because of it. Everything is done the left handed way besides writing and I am nothing more than of average intelligence.

So its probably not true.
Just because it doesn't apply to you does not make something not true.

Fuck there are some stupid cunts in the world.

APCSfan

HSC

:eek:
Im a lefty :D

But i do other random stuff with my right limbs sometimes. eg sports, oh and i brush my teeth with my right hand. Feels weird if i use my left.

Being ambidextrous in everything would be sexy tho ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)