Are ranks more important than your raw marks? TRIALSSS (1 Viewer)

thelostone

HSC
Hello all, with trials looming around and the level of stressing increasing as the days are counting down, I have been reading up on whether the raw internal school marks are important or a student's internal rank to determine their internal HSC assessment mark. As with me, I have been doing well throughout the year achieving marks in the 80s and 90s for all my subjects, which include Mathematics, IPT, Business Studies, SOR 2 and Advanced English.

Despite that I feel for trials I will not achieve those sort of marks hence I am concerned whether that will affect my ATAR overall. Keep in mind, within my classes such as IPT, Math and Business there are genuinely about 3 to 4 people in each of those classes who are doing as well as me while the other half of the class unless they receive 100 percent in trials they can't top the marks I have achieved throughout the year, basically the other part of those classes are drop kicks.

So with that, I feel my ranks won't fluctuate too much with trials but I am concerned whether a poor performance in the trials will heavily impact my ATAR goal of within the 80s. Also my school is ranked within the 100s and just for more detail my ranks for subjects are the following:

SOR: 10/18
Math: 2/5
Business: 2/10
IPT: 3/6
English: 7/10

So is maintaining ranks more important than the actual raw mark when determining your internal HSC assessment mark for the calculation of your ATAR?

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Yes. The only thing that the Board of Studies actually pays attention to (when they receive the marks that your school has submitted) is the distribution of raw internal marks (i.e., the ranks, and the spacing between the ranks).

A1P

HSC
So is maintaining ranks more important than the actual raw mark when determining your internal HSC assessment mark for the calculation of your ATAR?
Except the first & last ranked, for all the students in between what really counts is the ratio of your internal mark versus the total of these students' internal marks. Maintaining rank alone means protecting this ratio. Maintaining same rank but at the same time increasing your internal mark (while the others don't) means increasing this ratio.

In a broad sense, if you own x% of the cohort's internal mark pool you get x% of the cohort's exam mark pool as your HSC Assessment mark.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Haha, whirlpool thread and BoS thread. Just do your best on the test! :)

thelostone

HSC
So say I maintain my ranks which I hopefully will for Business, IPT and Math. Also, improve my ranking for English as we still have not got back a chunk of our assignments and I think I did well in those. Do I have a chance at achieving an ATAR within the 80s, considering I do well in the HSC. Thanks everyone for the responses, appreciate it.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
In response to your original question, I would argue that ranks general skill and competency is what is most important. In order to get high raw marks or good ranks, you need to have that high level of skill in your course. If you come rank 1 for example, theoretically, you should get the highest raw mark because you are the best student from your cohort. Just focus on doing your absolute best in the courses and this will translate to both admirable rankings and raw marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)