Are state ranks based purely off of external results? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
If someone were to hypothetically get 105/105 in English but they were ranked second internally and the next highest mark was 90, then their final mark would obviously be 95. However will they still be recognized as being first in the state cos they were first externally?

D94

HSC
N/A
If someone were to hypothetically get 105/105 in English but they were ranked second internally and the next highest mark was 90, then their final mark would obviously be 95. However will they still be recognized as being first in the state cos they were first externally?
No, that is not necessarily true. It will depend on the gap between first and second, and the overall range and mean of marks. If second was 1 mark behind first at school, then it's likely their assessment mark will be around 1 mark lower than the highest exam mark.

But, state ranks are based on the HSC mark, i.e. it takes into account both the assessment mark and exam mark.

mreditor16

HSC
Q. Are state ranks based only on externals?

A. I wish. I really do wish it would have been so

haha more seriously, basically what D94 said, he's always on the mark with such matters :)

emilios

HSC
No, that is not necessarily true. It will depend on the gap between first and second, and the overall range and mean of marks. If second was 1 mark behind first at school, then it's likely their assessment mark will be around 1 mark lower than the highest exam mark.

But, state ranks are based on the HSC mark, i.e. it takes into account both the assessment mark and exam mark.
Well the first part of that makes me feel better but ive always heard otherwise (mark differentials dont matter, only rank). Which would make sense because my friend last year was ranked 3rd in Chem, 1 mark behind the guy coming 2nd. Guy coming 2nd got 91 and my friend got 95 externally, but his final ended up being 93...

mreditor16

HSC
basically, the explanation of "ranks only matter, relative gaps between students doesn't matter" is simply a watered-down explanation to make people struggling to understand the easy parts of the process in the first place actually understand. what really happens is that the relative gaps are taken into account into the moderation process. it actually isn't as simple as the 10th ranked internally will get the 10th highest external mark. it is much more complicated than that. but to be able to explain it to some people, we have to describe the process in that way, to get the point across, even though it is wrong in some senses.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well the first part of that makes me feel better but ive always heard otherwise (mark differentials dont matter, only rank).
BOSTES provides this information freely to students - there should not be any confusion, yet somehow, someone is perpetuating incorrect information to students year after year: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

The relative gaps between the students’ moderated assessments are similar to the relative gaps between students as shown in the school assessment marks.

Iwillget9995

HSC
For some people, mark differentials don't matter. (If you're ranked first, you take the top examination mark no matter what). But for most people they do.

D94

HSC
N/A
For some people, mark differentials don't matter. (If you're ranked first, you take the top examination mark no matter what). But for most people they do.
Actually, even for first place, gaps are important. If it so happens that they are equal first, i.e. a gap of 0, then their assessment mark is the average of the x highest exam marks, where x is how many people are equal first. Unless the x highest exam marks are the same, then gaps are important depending on whose perspective you are looking from.

Iwillget9995

HSC
Actually, even for first place, gaps are important. If it so happens that they are equal first, i.e. a gap of 0, then their assessment mark is the average of the x highest exam marks, where x is how many people are equal first. Unless the x highest exam marks are the same, then gaps are important depending on whose perspective you are looking from.
Yeah true, just meant outright first Mr. Silence :)

So wait, it's not the average of the people who are first's exam marks, but just the top two exam marks overall?

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah true, just meant outright first Mr. Silence :)

So wait, it's not the average of the people who are first's exam marks, but just the top two exam marks overall?
Top two (or how ever many) exam marks. The same principle applies with outright first - their assessment mark is the highest exam mark of anyone in the cohort.

lebomatic

HSC
I'm going to tell you right not to get your hopes up for 105/105. Be prepared for anything around 80-90.

ZackXXT

HSC
Top two (or how ever many) exam marks. The same principle applies with outright first - their assessment mark is the highest exam mark of anyone in the cohort.
Suppose....

Given this Scenario:

Assessment Rank 1: Achieves an external exam mark of 80
Assessment Rank 2: Achieves an exam external mark of 94

The gap between the individuals in the assessment is 1.7%

The remainder of the class bombed out and achieved no higher than 65... downwards.

How exposed is Rank 2? What mark would Rank 1 Receive?

Would Rank 2, even though he achieved an exam mark of 94, be pulled into a band 5?

(Does the BOS have systems to account for such disparities?)

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Suppose....

Given this Scenario:

Assessment Rank 1: Achieves an external exam mark of 80
Assessment Rank 2: Achieves an exam external mark of 94

The gap between the individuals in the assessment is 1.7%

The remainder of the class bombed out and achieved no higher than 65... downwards.

How exposed is Rank 2? What mark would Rank 1 Receive?

Would Rank 2, even though he achieved an exam mark of 94, be pulled into a band 5?

(Does the BOS have systems to account for such disparities?)
lol he didn't like my answer so he is asking again; smh

hsc3hard5me

HSC
If it was, wouldn't thousands of people be getting tied for state ranks, I can imagine easily more than a hundred people tying on a high raw mark in the external

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)