ARE TEACHERS ALLOWED to use very recent HSC papers as the trial papers? (1 Viewer)

demonomaniac

HSC
a teacher in my school printed off the 2004 HSC paper (straight off the board of studies website) and used it for our trial paper with NO CHANGES at all. Okay, does anyone find that well, wrong? Does anyone know if the teachers are legally allowed to do that?

Abbeygale

HSC
We had last year's HSC as our midcourse. I doubt there's a rule against using past papers for the Trial. (although it seems a trifle lazy, when most schools go to the trouble of setting their own or buying papers).

Why are you so concerned?

rama_v

HSC
demonomaniac said:
a teacher in my school printed off the 2004 HSC paper (straight off the board of studies website) and used it for our trial paper with NO CHANGES at all. Okay, does anyone find that well, wrong? Does anyone know if the teachers are legally allowed to do that?
I would be jumping up adn down in joy
If I had done the paper.
And no, i don't think its illegal..

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Why is she concerned? People would have already sat that paper as a past paper for studying. They would have had access to the answers and studied well for those questions, then they sit the exam as their trial. It's so easy for them, since they know all the stuff, because they've done it all before. I'd be concerned too. And for those who didn't practice with that particular past paper, they are at a disadvantage to those who did.
If she was a good student, she would've sat the paper as well. It isn't the teacher's fault if the students were too lazy to revise properly.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
They can do whatever they damn want.

Abbeygale

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Why is she concerned? People would have already sat that paper as a past paper for studying. They would have had access to the answers and studied well for those questions, then they sit the exam as their trial. It's so easy for them, since they know all the stuff, because they've done it all before. I'd be concerned too. And for those who didn't practice with that particular past paper, they are at a disadvantage to those who did.
Yes, I'm aware of all this. I just don't see why it's a big deal. People who practised with the past papers are already at an advantage over those who didn't, because they used a more effective method of preparation. It would be very different if some people were aware that a past paper was going to be used. But since (I assume) nobody was told, everybody still had an equal opportunity to practise on them.

As I mentioned, this happened to me in the midcourse. I was annoyed when I found out, but I didn't complain that it should be illegal. I saw it as a good lesson in why you should at the very least read the past papers when preparing for exams.

Last edited:
HSC
I found half my chemistry paper from random past HSC papers, and I lost stupid marks cause I didnt do past hsc papers and wasnt as prepared, thats why there was like 5-6 people who got 90%+ in chemistry
drag forward to trials, not 1 question was from HSC and only 1 person got 90%, she maintained her mark and thats obvious to show that she really knows her shit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)