Are The Different Interpretations That Important?? (1 Viewer)

bec griffith

HSC
I was talking to my teacher today and she said that I should not focus on the interpretations such as femanists and family and phsycology......what do u guys think???? I think that I have enough to remember without focusing on that!!!!:bomb: :confused:

collide

HSC
Are you doing Gwen Harwood?
I just called the HSC advice line and asked whether we should refer to specific readings even if they ask for 'personal response' kinda thing..
The teacher told me that yes we should still include readings. On the other hand, my teacher believes questions like that are a move away from specific readings.
So this is just great. I'm even more confused lol.

jebemti

HSC
that the problem i have this whole year all we have done for king lear is studied is the different interpretations and readings to king lear.. only today howeever did i realise through reading :
HSC English (Advanced) Course
Module B: Critical Study of Texts
Support Document
that i realised that wwe have to form our own perceptions of the play..what does this exactly mean..??

mc88

HSC
that i realised that wwe have to form our own perceptions of the play..what does this exactly mean..??
Our teacher told us that they don't necessarily want "readings" off texts, but you need to evaluate it and do your own reading. I suppose if you do both then that's just as good, but you need to make sure you make some sort of critical judgement as well...

...I think.

danish222

HSC
I agree with mc88. You must make your own reading, but that can stem from other specific readings and you could mention how your reading was influenced by other ones. ie. how valid you think other interpretations of the play are.

jebemti

HSC
but how can you make you own reading of the play what should it include in it .....are u judging the text and its validity or what
can some1 give me an example of a sentence which shows "YOUR" interpretation of the play cause im really lsot

god i hate lear

morganforrest

HSC
jebemti said:
but how can you make you own reading of the play what should it include in it .....are u judging the text and its validity or what
can some1 give me an example of a sentence which shows "YOUR" interpretation of the play cause im really lsot

god i hate lear
Used in Trial Essay which focussed on the sub plot.

morganforrest said:
In my opinion, taking elements from the Christian and New Historicist schools, the 'promis'd end' referred to by Kent sees Lear move from the madness and despair experienced on the heath into a new relationship with the inherently redemptive character of Cordelia. While Lear still has a long way to go in terms of growth in his misogynist tendencies, to suggest the play is entirely nihilistic simply does not hold water
This brings in my own opinion, supported by critical interpretations and dealing with how such an interpretation disturbs textual integrity. I would then go on from there to explore how the theme of redemption is reified in various productions.

Don't make the productions a barrier to your argument. Your thesis should be grounded in the text with critical analysis flowing from textual analysis

cupcake08

HSC
yeah, you should read over the notes from the marking centre for module B from the last two years, they are pretty pointed. i think the markers want candidates who have a detailed knowledge of the text itself (themes/structure/characterisation) and have drawn their own conclusions. basically its not enough just to memorize different readings and critics without 'engaging with' the text itself.

as long as you have a balance of your own interpretation plus other perspectives (feminist, psychoanalytic etc) you should be fine. your own interpretation can be pretty much anything as long as you include an "i believe" or "i concluded from the study of this passage" etc somewhere in your essay.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Your own interpretation of the text should be primary.
Any readings and critics interpretations etc should be secondary and used to support your own analysis. Your essay should not be based on the readings.

goosiegoo

HSC
I agree with kloudsurfer... personal reading as a primary thing and other readings to back up or compare your reading to.

bec griffith

HSC
Thanx Guys
Your Thoughts Have Helped Me Alot!!
However I Still Have Lear And I Cant Wait For Tomorrow To Be Over!!
Who Found The First Section Of Paper 1 Ridiculous??
I Thought There Was 2 Much Reading For A Question Meant To Be Done In 40 Minutes!!!
I Hope U All Do Well And Wish You The Best Of Luck!!!

kloudsurfer

HSC
Read the notes from the marking centre from last yr. It explains pretty clearly that you should not rely much on the readings and critical interpretations.

Im too lazy to post the link...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)