Are the lectures any good at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

1extraordinary

HSC
For the Business faculty, how do you guys (current students) rate the lectures? From my experience at school, the teacher means the most. Sure a student can put in his own hard work, but if you have an excellent teacher not only will you enjoy but be self perpetuated to learn more.

are most of the lecturers just average? i.e they read from textbooks, slide etc boring and seemingly havent any more interest. im assuming its just the heads or 1 or 2 lecturers who the rare "mega stars" who teach as if they didnt plan for the lecture and engage discussion and dont stick to the textbook 100% (and can pull it off to be very interesting)/

comments plz :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well again as in high school you have some off lecturers who bore the shit out of you. but sometimes the lecturers as you may have indicated do not speak from the slides.

most of the time the lecturers are good enough to just expand on what they have on their slides. but again most of the content of exams come from their slides. so you may not even be paying that much attention to the lecturer other than to get exam hints or write down whatever you didnt already know or what the slide does not have

from what i remember first year lectures were boring but as you continue into second and third year lectures, they get better.

it might even be possible to sit down at lecture at one of the summer holiday courses if you really want to know how they are.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
like everything in life, it depends.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
If you come to UNSW to do commerce/economics, you'll notice how enthusiastic everyone is when they attend their first lectures (eddy avenue gets packed, no seats in lecture theatre, etc, etc....). Then you'll slowly see the lazy-as-fuck attitude that most of us com kids have when lecture attendance drops and drops as the weeks go on. This is mostly the case with each year's first year students.

Quite honestly, we're a pretty lazy faculty due to our low contact hours when compared to other faculties like engineering or medicine. On top of that, some of us get jobs or can't get out of bed or live faraway and just can't be bothered going even though the content is important or the lecturer is good...

University is very different compared to high school. Teachers had to mostly care, lecturers and tutors necessarily dont.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
tallkid34 said:
If you come to UNSW to do commerce/economics, you'll notice how enthusiastic everyone is when they attend their first lectures (eddy avenue gets packed, no seats in lecture theatre, etc, etc....). Then you'll slowly see the lazy-as-fuck attitude that most of us com kids have when lecture attendance drops and drops as the weeks go on. This is mostly the case with each year's first year students.

Quite honestly, we're a pretty lazy faculty due to our low contact hours when compared to other faculties like engineering or medicine. On top of that, some of us get jobs or can't get out of bed or live faraway and just can't be bothered going even though the content is important or the lecturer is good...

University is very different compared to high school. Teachers had to mostly care, lecturers and tutors necessarily dont.
What happens after first year?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Differs for everyone, obviously. Though I've observed that many older students start goin to uni less than they did in first year. As for others, the amount of time they spend at uni wont change at all... And for some, they might go even more due to club/activities involvement.

I'd just like to say though that after a year at uni, general rule of thumb is that you're much smarter as to what you should/need to go to at uni and what you generally think will be a waste of time.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Keep the enthusiasm up and it will be an enjoyable expierence.

I like the uni student lifestyle but not necessarily going to uni...

I find that an amusing but realistic contradiction.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha corey so you like the fact of being at uni but not purposes to satisfy academia but the quench for the social life? :p

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Here's my experience:

First Year S1:
go to every lecture, if I missed a lecture. panic and take more notes next lecture.
First year S2:
go to most lectures in harder or more interesting subjects(and occasionally go to lectures of classes I didn't take, but are interesting). Started getting involved with uni societies.

Second Year S1:
Got way too involved with uni societies(revue), go to about 30% of lectures...30min late every morning...with 5-6 hours sleep every night
Second year S2:
working fulltime/studying part time. lecture was interesting so I went to most of them.
Sleep is low, but not as bad as S1

Expected 3rd year S1:
again, way involved with revue and other societies. learn most of the material for at least one of my classes before starting uni to make time for things. might sleep, might not...dunno

In short, commit yourself to uni societies and work in moderation if you like sleep :idea:

HSC
just like school, some good, some bad. ive had nothing but good results from business law lecturers... finance is mixed, lecturers like Tho was awesome, but othere ones like kingsly, henry yip etc. sent me into a coma. also generally the finance staff are assholes and not very willing to help you, they make it feel like you're an inconvience too them. contrast to the legal staff who are very welcoming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)