Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days? (1 Viewer)

Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days?

• Yes- Too many Internationals

Votes: 85 82.5%
  • No- Not enough Internationals

Votes: 18 17.5%

• Total voters

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Gosh, this thread is childish and awful. I hope nobody here with such extreme views is a tutor/lecturer at uni.

Last edited:

minchi24556

HSC
N/A
this thread has been mostly hijacked in my opinion
the OP is talking about how international students recieve the same assessments that you do, yet seem to be marked by different standards. its not necessarily their presence at university that is a problem, because as many people have said its something anyone can pay for, its the fact that they are passing subjects and getting degrees from Australia. The injustice is if anyone who was not obviously an international student provided this type of work for assessments, we would fail and be insufficient for that degree. And it is true, group assessments are the bane of uni with international students

sinist4

HSC
hmmmm... so internationals are alright (chicks;)) ... but some arr abit errrrrmmmm... lazy ? f@*k tards?

soz but ive had bad experiences with them, esp in group work lol. oh did someone say group work, i mean individual work !

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
koube0530 said:
Their communication is alright.

But I've marked a few international students' assignments and sometimes I just want to fail them for their incoherence... what they write, taken literally, is the wrong answer.

I sort of give them sympathy marks because I guess that wasn't what they meant. Everyone is meant to have the same argument because these are just simple subjects. But if I gave the papers to someone who doesn't do the subject, they'd probably have no clue what's being said.

I think this is an issue. How can universities give degrees to students who can't really re-express what's being taught? When they go back to their countries, don't managers wonder why their English is so bad and draw a connection with the university?
When I've marked international students, I've really only noticed common mistakes people from those countries normally make - even after decades of being in Australia (e.g. incorrect usage of "the", plurals and tenses).

Trust me, these errors don't come anywhere near the errors made by domestic students - many of whom only speak English.

minchi24556 said:
this thread has been mostly hijacked in my opinion
the OP is talking about how international students recieve the same assessments that you do, yet seem to be marked by different standards. its not necessarily their presence at university that is a problem, because as many people have said its something anyone can pay for, its the fact that they are passing subjects and getting degrees from Australia. The injustice is if anyone who was not obviously an international student provided this type of work for assessments, we would fail and be insufficient for that degree. And it is true, group assessments are the bane of uni with international students
Uh... no. If two students provide me with exactly the same quality of work, they receive exactly the same mark. If they provide me with exactly the same work, they both get zero.
In my experience at least, there has been no special treatment for international students. I've not once seen a situation where an international student was given a chance over a domestic student.

I suppose if you're worried that is what's happening, lobby your university for anonymous marking techniques. Mark assignments based on a student number instead of names/user logins. It's hard to treat one number better than another. :)

Last edited:

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
When I've marked international students, I've really only noticed common mistakes people from those countries normally make - even after decades of being in Australia (e.g. incorrect usage of "the", plurals and tenses).

Trust me, these errors don't come anywhere near the errors made by domestic students - many of whom only speak English.

Uh... no. If two students provide me with exactly the same quality of work, they receive exactly the same mark. If they provide me with exactly the same work, they both get zero.
In my experience at least, there has been no special treatment for international students. I've not once seen a situation where an international student was given a chance over a domestic student.

I suppose if you're worried that is what's happening, lobby your university for anonymous marking techniques. Mark assignments based on a student number instead of names/user logins. It's hard to treat one number better than another. :)
Why is that all these international students I've known seems to know jack about the units they're studying? I keep getting these feelings before some assignment is coming up when quite a number of them approach me since I'm so &^&#R%*@#^ compassionate that they know I would help with their assignments unconditionally.

There's this assignment that can be done in groups or individually. One international student in the same class I know called me two nights before the due date asking for a work comparison so she can check what she might've gotten wrong. When we got to meet the next day, the only work done on her part was question 1 out of 6 other major questions. She told me she somehow lost it while transfering it into the portable hard-disk. Long story short, I know she hasn't done it at all because she just doesn't know how, so I ended up submitting my own work as a group with her. And this isn't the first time I've helped her with her assignments either.

The only reason I help her out like this is because I don't want her to fail subjects which if she does would induce repeating the units, meaning more upfront tuition fees.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I seem to have missed the point of the story, you saying the internationals have no idea, or how you're a great guy cos you're helping them out?

Alfred_rulz

Very Important Person
HSC
Not necessarily. Look at your writing skills. No offence but you have made a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes in three or four sentences... Can I ask you what you got for your UAI? If you got anything over 99.55 it would've got you into any of your desired courses (Maybe not into Medicine). Just because you were dumb and failed your HSC now blame it onto internationals. Another question is that "Why don't internationals pay tax?" it's because they earn no money in Australia. Any working internationals pay tax just like us. So stop blaming others because you couldn't get into your course and work harder now! You know that you could've always have paid a full fee as well. And a final note is that, if you've studied Geography throughly in HSC, you would've found out that if we don't accept internationals our universities and economy will suffer.

Chris.

HSC
Alfred_rulz said:
Not necessarily. Look at your writing skills. No offence but you have made a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes in three or four sentences... Can I ask you what you got for your UAI? If you got anything over 99.55 it would've got you into any of your desired courses (Maybe not into Medicine). Just because you were dumb and failed your HSC now blame it onto internationals. Another question is that "Why don't internationals pay tax?" it's because they earn no money in Australia. Any working internationals pay tax just like us. So stop blaming others because you couldn't get into your course and work harder now! You know that you could've always have paid a full fee as well. And a final note is that, if you've studied Geography throughly in HSC, you would've found out that if we don't accept internationals our universities and economy will suffer.
yeh but this is the InTErneTz.....

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
T-mac01 said:
Why is that all these international students I've known seems to know jack about the units they're studying? I keep getting these feelings before some assignment is coming up when quite a number of them approach me since I'm so &^&#R%*@#^ compassionate that they know I would help with their assignments unconditionally.

There's this assignment that can be done in groups or individually. One international student in the same class I know called me two nights before the due date asking for a work comparison so she can check what she might've gotten wrong. When we got to meet the next day, the only work done on her part was question 1 out of 6 other major questions. She told me she somehow lost it while transfering it into the portable hard-disk. Long story short, I know she hasn't done it at all because she just doesn't know how, so I ended up submitting my own work as a group with her. And this isn't the first time I've helped her with her assignments either.

The only reason I help her out like this is because I don't want her to fail subjects which if she does would induce repeating the units, meaning more upfront tuition fees.
Doing this devalues your degree. If she can't do the work, she needs to learn. If she can't learn, she needs to fail.

It's that simple.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
I seem to have missed the point of the story, you saying the internationals have no idea, or how you're a great guy cos you're helping them out?
oh lol my bad.
I thought I've made the point clearly in the beginning. The story is just for amusement.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
Doing this devalues your degree. If she can't do the work, she needs to learn. If she can't learn, she needs to fail.

It's that simple.
But I also hate to be one of those nerds that are terrified of someone else surpassing them in their final semester results that they would never give anything to help others out. I'm sure you've met faggots like that.

You've got a point there, I would hate to see people like them ruining the reputation of the degrees they've completed. But this happens pretty much in every unis in Australia. Right?

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yes. I don't get along as well with people who can't speak English, as people who speak English fluently. It sounds horrible, but it's true. Comparatively, they make little attempt to mingle in with the other crowds at uni, they don't understand questions in tutorials, they sit there mumbling half spoken answers in tutorials, they pretty much just harm the overall experience of university.
Sorry, I also think whities don't want to mingle with them either. It's not completely their fault to racially isolate from people like you. They can't speak English, you give them the evil eye and they get scared, so they stay away from you.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
xoa said:
Lets be realistic. We get poor quality internationals, but they're no worse than the standard of Aussie student at many universities. At least the Chinese and Indians have an excuse for mediocrity - poor English skills. Uni student numbers have inflated massively in recent decades - degrees don't mean as much as they used to. So long as you've got a pulse and can write your name, a uni somewhere in Australia will accept you, whether you're Aussie or international.

Australia has chosen to pursue quantity over quality when it comes to tertiary education. We have a million uni students currently - I think the number should be indefinitely capped at that.
I think this is more of a global phenomena than Australia alone. Take U.S for example, I get the feeling almost everyone get into a uni after highschool. Some are as dumb as hell.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
T-mac01 said:

Oh! So you're the reason why Internationals are mysteriously passing units... ! :p

I personally have nothing against International students. Most of the ones I meet tend to be twice as hard working as anyone else.
With so much money and possibly their Visa at stake, I just can't see how any International student can afford to be "lazy" as someone put it.

zab02

HSC
The Rudd Labor government will abolish Australian full-fee places, which will force Universities to rely more and more on full fee international students for funding. What benefit will this possibly have to the future prosperity of our country? When these International students who take Australian students places, take their degrees and knowledge overseas- leaving us with nothing. This is pure ideological policy; I for one would rather have Australian Full fee paying student’s then International students, because it’s a worthwhile to invest in the knowledge and skills of your own people.

Expect even more Internationals filling up our universities. No surprises that we have a skills shortage in our economy and productivity hasnt risen- we invest all our resources in educating foreigners who dont contribute anything to our economy and our future prosperity. Bad Policy.

Australian Universities should be for the primary benefit of Australian students.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Internationals make me feel tough. I like being the large-wang majority and walking down a path and making people get out of the way. Lets keep em around.

Evilo

HSC
im doing courses that are not comp/math/buis/econ* etc - hence a limited amount of internationals. Still i have noticed that "internationals" have a severe lack in english and are struggling at the courses (especially in tutes and field trips where they are required to give their own opinion & ideas). From what i've seen the Aussies pull them up, which is good - to a point. But at the end of the day, they need to learn.

*i used to do some of these courses.

HSC
Evilo said:
im doing courses that are not comp/math/buis/econ* etc - hence a limited amount of internationals. Still i have noticed that "internationals" have a severe lack in english and are struggling at the courses (especially in tutes and field trips where they are required to give their own opinion & ideas). From what i've seen the Aussies pull them up, which is good - to a point. But at the end of the day, they need to learn.

*i used to do some of these courses.
Evilo said:
Still i have noticed that "internationals" have a severe lack in english and are struggling at the courses
Evilo said:
have a severe lack in english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)