Are these subject choices death? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Question about what I should do for year 12 next year.

At the moment I am thinking of doing the following,

4 U English
3 U History
2 U Religion
2 U Business, Legal or PDHPE

Is this too hard and how will it affect my UAI, as I want to do Journalism at either Sydney, UNSW OR UTS.

=slade=

HSC
i wanted to do journalism too, but the UAI is so high at some places, like 94!! so im thinking of other options... don't know wat yet though. do wat ur comfortable with, so long as ur interested it will help alot when u have to do loong hours of study leading up to the HSC

FinalFantasy

HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:

4 U English
3 U History
2 U Religion

Is this too hard and how will it affect my UAI, as I want to do Journalism at either Sydney, UNSW OR UTS.
those subjects choices aren't death at all, some ppl do 4u eng, 4u maths, extension hist.. altogether and so on...
but "death" or not depends on wat u are capable of doing or if u wan to do dem or not...

fakingtheday

HSC
It's only as difficult as you make it. Go for it, take PE there though, i will lift your workload and there isn't as much wrote learning as Bus. and Legal. Don't do business though.

jess_r_2005

HSC
hey i do PDHPE, Business Studies and Legal Studies. they are hard if u dont try and do the work that is set but if u do the work then u should be rite. i also do 2U standard english, 2U general maths and i have trouble with them sumtimes so i just ask 4 help and if u ask 4 help then u should be rite

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
a bit irrelevant, but if I chose those subjects, I think i would kill myself from boredom at the end of it

HSC
all depends on your skill too, some people can walk in and destroy english without effort, whereas for me a good 4-5 hours of study will help with my marks

HSC
only one piece of advice,
whatever you choose, keep in mind your time management skills, because the 4u eng. major will require more then just whipping up an amazing piece of writing.
Business isn't a bad subject, in fact i find it quite interesting most of the time, more interesting then religion and legal!

im outz

nwatts

HSC
Yeah go for it. Just make sure you enjoy them all. The biggest piece of advice that I can give to upcoming HSC students is the importance of choosing subjects that you're interested in, or enjoy. You won't go well in a subject you hate. Plain and simple.

Also, History Extension is a much bigger and more difficult subject than English Extension 2, so just keep that in mind. Not that i'm putting anything on Ext2 students, it's simply that History Extension is three huge components, where as Eng Extension 2 is one.

I do 3 units of English and 3 units of (Modern) History, as well as Art and Mathematics. I love all my subjects, bar Maths which has become my pet hate. I chose it to broaden my choices after school, and have since realised that i'd have nothing to do with anything maths related, so it has turned out to be a nightmare. I know people in the same situation with other subjects too. Pick what you enjoy! You'll want a uni course/career that you enjoy too!

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:

4 U English
3 U History
2 U Religion

at least studying religion would help u understand about eternity after u die

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i have to agree wtih nwatts. history extension really takes so much time. it is more like a 3 unit subject rather than the 1 unit that it is worth. so make sure that yo ahve your tiem planned out for the hsc year.

Mandy101

HSC
I do 3 unit English, 3 unit history (Ancient + hist ext) and business studies and they're not death- they rock! I've read some posts about people who say History Ext takes a lot of work but it doesn't really - dedicate one-two hours on a Saturday morning to your project and you'll get it done in ample time! Mine's not due for another four weeks but I've already pretty much finished it. Business Studies is pretty easy - I do Economics too so a lot of the content does tend to cross over a lot. And English Extension is the best subject in the world - much more interesting and challenging (in a good way) than 2 unit. I say go for it!

X

xeuyrawp

Dragon Fanatic said:

4 U English
3 U History
2 U Religion

ohhh, mine were worse:

4U English.
3U Jap.
3U History + Ancient
DT

nwatts

HSC
Mandy101 said:
I've read some posts about people who say History Ext takes a lot of work but it doesn't really - dedicate one-two hours on a Saturday morning to your project and you'll get it done in ample time! Mine's not due for another four weeks but I've already pretty much finished it.
There's way more than just the project in the Extension History course. You have your core study (i'm doing the historicity of Jesus Christ, many do Elizabeth I or The Crusades), as well as the more philosophical 'what is history?' study. They comprise the two essays in the Extension History exam.

In comparison to the ONE major work of Extension 2 English, it's a lot more work.

X

xeuyrawp

nwatts said:
In comparison to the ONE major work of Extension 2 English, it's a lot more work.
I'd say it would be EE2 x 10 + 1 in terms of time spent. :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
nwatts said:
You have your core study (i'm doing the historicity of Jesus Christ, many do Elizabeth I or The Crusades), as well as the more philosophical 'what is history?' study.
i pretty much completed my majorwork in the last week and a half it was due, however, for those who i had to ask for help would know that i was stressed. however, the actual work that it involves in this subject is incredible.

i do jfk as my core, and we have to read heaps of texts that are about 50 pages each.

the 'what is history?' component comprises more than reading from just the source book that you get. you have to read up on heaps more, expecially about major issues like the carr v evans debate and the reynolds v windchuttle debate.

oh yeh, on a side note, who is going to this wednesday's windschuttle debate :p

PwarYuex said:
I'd say it would be EE2 x 10 + 1 in terms of time spent.
i will have to agree with this. i have to do 3 times as much work as iw ould hae to do in extension maths, or mabybe 2 times would be much more accurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)